Status: Just something to get you guys in the mood for Christmas!

Snowflakes

Friday Night; Dec. 19th

I took a deep breath as I jogged down the staircase. I spent half the day preparing for my dinner with Harry and his family. Mum would most likely not want me to go to dinner with a family she hasn’t met without her, but I’m going, whether she likes it or not. I reached the bottom stair and walked straight into the kitchen, where Mum and Gramma Abbey were laughing about something.

I cleared my throat, and they both turned to look at me. "Mum, my new friend, Harry, and his family invited me to dinner tonight. Since I know you probably don't want me to go-"

"Don't be silly, honey! I'll even give you a ride. Let me know when you're ready, dear,” she laughed.

“Wait, really?” I blinked in disbelief.

She nodded, “mhmm. Yeah, your gramma thinks I’ve been too hard on you, and she’s told me plenty about your friend Harry. I think he sounds like a lovely young lad.”

“Oh… okay. Well, let me get my shoes,” I muttered. I think I was in shock. Mum seemed so relaxed today, and come to think of it, she was pretty lax last night when she and Evan had arrived here, too. What’s up with her?

I grabbed my lace up boots and pulled them on. I marched back into the kitchen and announced that I was ready to leave. Evan came running in from the living room, where he was watching a Nickelodeon movie about elves, and shouted excitedly.

“Can I come, too?” He bounced on his heels hopefully, and I just couldn’t tell him no.

“Sure buddy. Get your boots on,” I smiled. Man, I missed that kid.

“But only Kenna is staying, Hun,” Mum informed him, when he returned to my side. “We’ll be back in a bit, Mum," she called out to Gramma Abbey, who followed us to the front door, waving us off as we backed down the driveway.

I sat quietly until I needed to tell her where to turn. Evan quietly hummed along to the Christmas carols on the radio, while I found myself taking a few deep breaths to calm my nerves. In all honesty, I didn't know why I was so on-edge; I'm very comfortable around Harry and Gemma. They were lovely people.

"Nerves?" Mum spoke, disrupting my thoughts.

I turned to look at her, "what?"

She grinned, "you're nervous."

"That obvious?" I sighed. It clearly was that obvious. I have always had a nervous tick that a normal person would only notice if you knew what to look for.

"You're flicking your thumb," she laughed.

I immediately stopped, rolling my wrist around instead. "Sorry."

"Doesn't bother me, love," she smiled.

She really knows me better than I thought. I didn't really give her a lot of credit, but she really did pay attention. She's a good mother.

"I love you, Mum," I smiled. She looked at me with wide, owl-like eyes. I shrugged and looked out the window, "I don't say it enough."

"I wish I had gotten that on video," she chuckled, making me laugh quietly.

Sooner than I thought, we had arrived to Harry's house. I sat still in my seat, staring out the window and mentally preparing myself. I subconsciously rubbed my wrist and felt the candy bracelet. I pulled up my sleeve, turning the sugar jewelry in my fingers.

"I've been meaning to ask about that," my mum spoke.

Without looking up to her, I answered with a small, involuntary smile on my face. "Harry actually gave me this. I'm not really sure why."

"Because he likes you," Evan chimed in from the back seat.

I made a fist toward him. "Shut it, dork," I giggled in a very non-threatening way. I started to get out of the car but Evan's voice stopped me.

"Tell your boyfriend I said hi," he snickered.

"Will do, twerp," I saluted him before shutting the car door. Mum rolled the car window down to inform me she would pick me up at eight. I nodded and jogged off to the front stoop, and rang the doorbell. I turned and waved to my mother as she put the car in reverse and backed out of the drive.

The door opened and Gemma poked her head out. "Makenna, we were beginning to think you wouldn't show."

"Yeah, we took a wrong turn. Had to turn around," I giggled as she ushered me inside and out of the cold.

"Well, Mum is in the kitchen taking dinner out of the oven and Harry is in his bedroom, I believe. Would you fetch him? Up the stairs, second door on the right," she smiled before heading off into the next room.

I stepped up the stairs and entered the door instructed to me by Gemma. I tapped my knuckles on the door, but I got no immediate response. Upon closer investigation, I realized I could faintly hear music coming from the other side of the door. Against the wishes of the small voice in my mind, I opened the door and slowly poked my head in. Harry was laying on his bed, eyes closed and music blaring. I stepped further into the room, thinking he may just be asleep.

I walked over to the stereo and turned the volume down. He sat up immediately, his expression going from anger to surprise, though I couldn't tell why. I was an invited guest of his sister, but he was shocked that I was standing in his room.

"Hey Kenna," he smiled, standing up from his bed. "You know, you could've just knocked."

"I did, but you didn't hear," I corrected him. "Hence the reason I was able to sneak into your room all stealth-like." I spoke with a slightly sarcastic tone, but Harry didn't seem to mind much.

"Okay, so why did you sneak into my room?" He chuckled, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"Gemma asked me to fetch you," I shrugged, leaning my hip on his dresser.

"Why didn't she just fetch me?" He asked.

I smiled and shrugged again, crossing my arms, "I don't know, ask her yourself. She's downstairs."

About the time I finished that statement, a familiar girl appeared in the doorway. “Dinner, you two,” Gemma grinned, sending me a wink.

**


I waved goodbye to Harry and Gemma as I walked to my mum’s car. I opened the door and buckled the belt across my chest as Mum turned to me with a smile, “so how did it go?”

“Dinner was simply lovely. Anne is a wonderful chef!” I informed her, “Harry was rather quiet though.” I shrugged it off and stared forward.

“He’s quite cute,” she wiggled her brows at me, which made me giggle. “I think he fancies you.”

“Why do you say that?” I asked.

“Well, for one, he invited you to dinner with his family,” she pointed out, but I had to correct her.

“Actually, if you want to be technical, his sister, Gemma, invited me. Does that mean she fancies me?” I giggled, raising a brow at her.

“Not necessarily,” she retorted with a small chuckle, holding a finger up before returning her hand to the wheel. “She might think you’re cute, and wanna set you up with her brother.”

“Would make since,” I shrugged, “definitely explains why she sent me up to Harry’s bedroom.”

“See? I know what I’m talking about dear,” Mum laughed. “Things haven’t changed that much since I was your age.”

“I guess you were finally right about something,” I chuckled and rolled my eyes. I turned to look out the window. The scenery was still covered in snow that seemed to glow in the dim light of the moon. I guess winter time wasn’t all bad. It was pretty at least.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry this came out so late. I wanted to have this chapter up on Christmas day, but it just didn't happen, and I'm also sorry that it's so shitty and jumps around. Hey, it's out and that's all that matters. I want the next one to be up before the new year, so look out for that!

Xx, harley.