Twisted Fairytale

The Quarry

Image
Image

The rain came down hard, drenching Lennox as she walked down the middle of the road, bow in hand. She was numb, unable to really feel anything at the moment. She finally returned home to Georgia after being gone for eleven years and she comes home to the dead who had risen and was eating the living. When she saw the tragedy, she didn’t bother going to make sure her parents were okay, they were dead to her, instead she went to find Daryl.

When Lennox got to the old house, she saw that it had been raided meaning that they had split. Her next stop was the Dixon’s hunting cabin, but that was a dead end too. When she came across Will Dixon’s corpse, her heart broke. She hated that man more than anything, but it was Daryl and Merle’s dad. If he was dead, did that mean they were too? Had they gotten out?

Lennox had thought that after eleven years of being gone, she would have gotten over Daryl, but she didn’t. Not even while she was engaged to another man. While she was planning the wedding, her mind kept wandering back to Daryl, wondering if he was okay or if he had found someone else. She had hoped that he did. Hell, she told him to.

And that’s how she got to where she was now. Walking down the abandoned road in the pouring rain with absolutely no direction in mind. It was becoming clear that she would never see Daryl again. She looked down at her right wrist and saw the bracelet that he had given her, a slight smirk tugging on her lips. Then she looked at her left ring finger where her engagement ring sat. It was an obnoxiously big thing that felt unnatural on her finger.

That wasn’t what she wanted in life. She didn’t want to live in some big fancy house, married to some rich man in some rich city. No, her roots were in a small town in Georgia and that’s what she was happy with. She had always wanted to marry Daryl and live in some cozy cabin in the woods. She never wanted the material things, she just wanted him.

Lennox sighed and kept on walking until the rain finally stopped. The sun immediately came out and brightened up the world. Before, Lennox could have seen it as a sign of hope, but now she wasn’t so sure. This world had turned a lot more cruel than it used to be, there was no more hope. Life as everyone knew it had ended.

After walking for another hour or so, Lennox came to a quarry that was filled with crystal clear water that just looked so tempting. As she shuffled closer to the water’s edge, she heard the click of a gun behind her and froze.

”Drop your weapons.” The man’s voice reached her ears and sent an unpleasant shiver down her spine. Gritting her teeth, she removed her bow from her back and tossed it to the ground along with her arrows, knife, and gun.

”Good. Now, turn around nice and slow.”

What kind of shit was this? She goes through hell to find Daryl and maybe get to a safe place and then she gets held at gun point for really no reason. With a roll of her eyes, she turned around slowly and her green eyes met the man holding the gun. He was tall with dark curly hair and blue eyes. He was muscular and his stature said that he was a cop.

”Who are you and what do you want?” He demanded and Lennox shifted her weight around impatiently.

”My name is Lennox and I’m just looking for a friend.”

Image

Lennox glanced around the small camp feeling irritated and antsy. The cop, whose name was Shane, brought her back to the camp so that she could rest up before she went back out on the road and while she was grateful, she really didn’t want to waste any more time. The longer she sat around waiting, the higher the chances of her finding Daryl dead.

”Lennox?” A soft voice called out, forcing her to look up. There was a petite, frail women with short gray hair. She looked like a scared little mouse and Lennox decided that this woman was no threat at all.

”I’m Carol. I brought you something to eat and some water. It’s not much, but it’ll have to do until our hunter comes back. And if you’d like, I can wash your clothes for you.” The woman handed over the plate and Lennox gave a thankful smile.

”That’s okay. I can wash them myself, I don’t want you to go through the trouble. And please, call me Len.”

”Oh, no, it’s fine. The other girls and I are going down there anyway.” Carol persisted and Lennox caved. She nodded her head and handed her bag to Carol, who just smiled and walked away.

After Len had finished eating, she decided to walk around the camp to get a feel for everybody there. The people were quiet and didn’t really go out of their way to talk to her, but she didn’t mind. She didn’t really know what to say to them anyway. She came to a sudden stop as she made eye contact with a heavy set man with a cigarette between his fingers. She didn’t know him, but she knew his type. Abusive and not worth the resources.

He looked back at her with a glare, trying to force Len to look away, but she didn’t. She wasn’t afraid of him. She wasn’t afraid of any of these people. She didn’t think they were stupid enough to try anything, but if they did she knew how to take care of herself.

Len tore her eyes away from the man and decided to walk back down to the quarry so she could sit in peace. She plopped down on the ground and picked up a handful of rocks, tossing them one by one into the water.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a sucky first chapter. I'm sorry :/ But I plan on making the others so much better. Also, I'm writing the updates for my other stories so those should be up soon :)