Twisted Fairytale

Her Own Fault

Image
Image

Len sat by the water’s edge and watched as the light breeze pushed ripples through the water. She had only been in the camp for a day, but she had decided that this was her spot. She had been down here several times and found that it was a sweet relief from everybody. Len had never been a big people person, so being around the group became hell after a while.

By this point, she was starting to feel like she had overstayed her welcome. All she wanted was to stay long enough to get some food, water, and some rest. She had gotten all three, now it was time for her to leave. Sighing, she picked up her bow and pushed herself to a stand. Her boots crunch the gravel as she walked back to the camp, her mind racing with each step.

Sometimes Len asked herself why she even bothered coming back to look for Daryl. She had left eleven years ago with absolutely no warning, she was about to start a life with some other man, she had no business coming back for him. But when this all started, she couldn’t stay away. Even if she finds Daryl and he turns her away, she’ll feel better knowing he’s alive. She would gladly leave if he wanted her too. She just needed to know.

As Len trudged up the hill, a loud siren echoed through the mountains. Furrowing her eyebrows, she picked up the pace until she was sprinting. Halfway there, she slowed down a bit and made a mental note to find a spot that was closer to camp. When she arrived, she saw a red sports car and everyone gathered around it. Shane had turned off the alarm and now everything seemed too quiet.

”Who are you?” The Asian kid standing by the car asked as soon as he saw Len.

”Lennox, but call me Len. Nice ride.” She smirked as she looked over the car. It was a Dodge Challenger, not her first choice, but it wasn’t a bad car.

”Thanks. I’m Glenn.” He smiled widely as he tucked his hands into the pockets of his jeans and looked over his shoulder at the car.

”Well, Glenn, I’m sure that this little joyride was helpful for your stress, but you have got to be the dumbest son of bitch I’ve ever met.” As soon as the words left her mouth, a white cube van pulled into camp. A man jumped out and rushed over to his family, followed by a blonde woman that was immediately rushed by another blonde. Amy, at least that’s what Len thought her name was.

Len closed her eyes tightly and let out a painful breath. Seeing these families reunite was reminding her that she had nobody. There was no denying that she did much better on her own, but the loneliness still got to her sometimes. As if to add to her pain, a man dressed in a police uniform stepped out of the van. Len watched as the young boy named Carl rushed over and latched his arms around his dad’s neck. Before Len could watch the man meet up with his wife, she walked away, back to the tent that she was borrowing.

Image

11 years ago...

Lennox quickly packed the last of her clothes into a large duffle bag and placed it over her shoulder. Leaving wasn’t what she wanted to do, but she had no choice. Her parents were forcing her to leave. As much as she wanted to fight them on this, she didn’t. She knew it was a losing battle and a waste of time and breath.

”Lennox, come on! You’re gonna be late for your flight!” Ally Marshall called up to her daughter. Len sighed and made her way from her room and down the stairs. Her mom stood there waiting, her expression full of sympathy. As much as she didn’t want her daughter hanging around the Dixon brothers, she didn’t want to send her away. But she had to stand by her husband on this.

”Are you ready?” Ally asked, a tiny smile tugging at her lips.

”Let’s just go.” Len mumbled as she pulled the front door open and walked quickly to the car. She wanted to get as far away from that house as fast as possible. She just wanted to go ahead and leave her life behind...she just wanted to get it over with.


That night with the group was awkward for Len to say the least. While everyone sat circled around the fire, she stay back by her tent. She nervously twisted her engagement ring around her finger, her green eyes fixated on the ridiculously large diamond. It amazed her that despite how dirty she was, that ring seemed to stay clean. Why she hadn’t taken it off, she wasn’t sure. Maybe because she had been wearing it so long that if she took it off, she’d feel naked.

It wasn’t that Len didn’t love her fiance, because she did. Just not in that way. She didn’t love him enough to marry him, she didn’t love him enough to start a family with him. Her heart didn’t belong to him. It never did. It always has and always will belong to Daryl Dixon.

Len felt a tear escape from her eye and roll down her cheek, so she reached up and wiped it away quickly. Even though nobody was around to see her cry, she still didn’t want to. She felt that she really had no reason to cry, she’s the one that got herself into this situation in the first place. If she hadn’t left, she and Daryl would probably still be together right now.

Sighing, Len crawled into her tent and curled up under the blanket, hoping to catch at least a little sleep. As her eyes drifted closed, she took in a deep breath and for a second she could have sworn she caught the faint smell of Daryl. Shaking that thought from her head, she forced herself to go to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took a while to get out. I've been super busy :( But here's the update and there's much more to come :) <3