Status: I STARTED ANOTHER THING....I'LL UPDATE IT

Keep Your Thoughts to Yourself

Find A Way to Say That You Saw Me

I swallowed my fear and stepped out of my apartment building, braving the loud world ahead of me.
I could already hear the voices intensifying, and it was already starting to add to my constant headache. I took a deep breath of the quickly cooling air and started walking towards the coffee shop where I was supposed to meet Justin, hazardously trying to avoid touching people accidentally as I moved.
I weaved through people on the sidewalk, trying desperately not to be touched. The noise was already loud enough.
I can read peoples’ minds.
All the time, I’m plagued with everyone else’s thoughts, and it’s slowly driving me mad. Over the years, I had learned to drown out the individual voices, so that all of them blended into one huge buzzing around me.
Some days it was okay; usually days when I didn’t have to go outside. Other days…they were hell; especially if I had to work all day. That meant that I would be around people all day, and I would probably get a migraine.
My life was a living hell….
I reached the small coffee shop and quickly darted through the door so as not to touch the blond girl directly behind me.
Of course, Justin was nowhere to be found, and I would have to wait.
Kellin: where are you?
I bounced on the balls of my feet in the corner of the shop, desperately begging for Justin to get here.
Justin: sorry Kells, I won't be able to make it. Katy called and she’s sick so I have to go there
Kellin: please don’t leave me here
Justin: I’m sorry hon, I’m almost at her place
I whimpered a little and shoved my phone into my pocket, silently cursing Justin and all of his future children.
“Can I help you?” the barista asked from behind the counter closest to me.
She was a brunette with deep red lipstick on and darkly made-up eyes. “Um…sure?” I didn’t sound sure though.
I saw her roll her eyes as she waited for me to approach her. “Um…just a small black coffee,” I said, not willing to tell her what I actually wanted.

He’d be cute if he wasn’t so fucking weird.

I sighed and watched her as she turned to pour a cup of coffee for me. “1.65,” she said and set the drink down on the counter. I pulled out my debit card from my wallet, and then she fucking dropped it.
The piece of plastic fluttered to the floor near my feet. Someone else picked it up before I could, the tan boy holding it out to me.
I fake smiled a little and went to take it from him, my fingers brushing against his and then everything stopped.
My breath caught in my throat as the room went silent, all of the voices stopping completely. My eyes met his, and I nearly jumped out of my skin at the sudden eerie silence around me, slightly horrified that all of the voices had stopped.
I pulled my hand and my eyes away from him, everyone’s thoughts instantly returning.
“Th-thank you,” I choked and handed my card to the girl, making sure I didn’t touch her.

He’s so fucking strange. That guy didn’t do anything to him.

I glanced back at the guy she was thinking about and tried to focus on what he was thinking.
I was so startled; surely that wasn’t caused by him. “What?” he asked, realizing that I was staring at him.
My eyebrows furrowed in concentration as I shook my head and looked away, horribly confused.
I couldn’t hear his thoughts. There was absolutely nothing but silence when I focused solely on his thoughts, and it frightened me. Why couldn’t I hear him?
What the absolute fuck was going on? “Here,” the barista said and handed my card back to me, along with two receipts. I hastily signed her copy and then left, grabbing the coffee I probably wouldn’t drink now.
My heart was racing as I quickly moved through the crowded streets to the back alley of the coffee shop and leant against the brick wall. I dropped my coffee and closed my eyes while taking a few deep breaths to try and calm myself.
“Are you okay?” Someone asked, their footsteps nearing me. I jumped, terrified, and then turned to see the same boy from before.
No wonder I hadn’t heard him coming.
I just stared at him in confusion as he walked up to me. “Are you okay?” he repeated, his warm, brown eyes watching me. “Mhm, I’m fine,” I lied and closed my eyes for a second.
“You look sick,” he stated. “Thanks,” I muttered back. “Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. I just—you look so pale and, um…kind of frightened?”
I chuckled darkly. “How did you do it?” A look of confusion crossed his face. “Do what?” he asked. “You don’t know?” He shrugged, looking just as confused as I felt.
“You stopped—nevermind,” I said, knowing he would think I was crazy.
“I’m Vic,” he said and held his hand out to me. I chewed my lip, thinking over the idea of touching him again.
I took his hand hesitantly and gasped as everyone’s thoughts disappeared.
“What’s wrong?” he asked, dropping my hand. “How do you do that?” I was so confused…. “I don’t know what you mean,”
I pressed my lips together in frustration and paced back and forth as I tried to fight down a panic attack.
I was muttering to myself about ‘how they stopped’ when he caught my arm. I reveled in the silence this time, grateful for the minute to think in peace.
“What do mean by ‘the voices’?” he asked, his hand still on my arm. “Um…I can’t tell you,” I said. “Why not?”
Because I sound like a lunatic. “You’ll think that I’m crazy,” I said and tried to focus on his thoughts again.
“No I won’t. I promise,” I chewed my lip skeptically again. “I—I can hear peoples’ thoughts…like, r-read their minds,” He let go of me, taking a step back.
“What?” I sighed, afraid of that. “Like…that guy,” I said and pointed to someone standing and smoking a cigarette. “He thinks his girlfriend is cheating on him. She thinks that she left the oven on. She might be pregnant, and he’s late for work.” I pointed each of them out, Vic standing there in silence.
“Um…what?” I rolled my eyes slightly. “If you can read minds…what am I thinking?” he asked.
“I don’t know. That’s what I was asking you. When you touched me—everything went silent. I—I can’t figure out why or, or what you’re thinking,” I said, the panic returning. What if there was something wrong with me? Other than the obvious….
“How am I supposed to believe that?” Vic asked skeptically and leaned his weight to one side.
“You’re not. No one is,” I said defeatedly and leant against the wall again. I slid down the bricks and hid my face in my hands. My heart was racing again as I tried not to have an episode.
“I—I don’t understand,” Vic said, his voice close to me.
I looked up at him, surprised that he was still here. “Why would you? I don’t fucking understand,” I said and got back up. “I have to go home,” I announced and started to walk away, only to have him catch my sleeve again.
“Wait, what are you talking about? I want to understand,” I gave him another confused look. “Why?” I asked.
“I don’t know, I’m irritating that way…. Please?” I shrugged, not sure if I wanted to tell some stranger that I was basically insane. “You never told me your name,” he stated and started walking with me.
I brushed my hand against his as we walked, enjoying the brief relent. “Kellin,” I mumbled and glanced at him.
“Nice to meet you. You’re not a serial killer though right?” I laughed a little and shook my head.
“No…just fucked up,” He smiled back and followed me to my apartment.
He was silent the whole way upstairs and then welcomed himself in and sat down on my couch.
I sighed and closed my front door, grateful for the slight lull of noise in here. I could still hear the tenants around me, but it was quieter with the doors separating us.
“Okay…so you can read minds,” Vic said and relaxed against the back of my couch. “Yeah…um, I can. But not yours apparently,” He nodded slowly.
“Could you explain that?” I nodded, still skeptical and sat down next to him.
“Um…I’ve had it for as long as I can remember, but it’s gotten progressively worse as I got older. I can usually blur them out to just an irritating buzz, but not always, and for some reason, when you touched me, all of the thoughts stopped.”
He was looking down at the floor as I spoke. “So, do you know how you got it?” I shook my head.
“I was born with it, I guess. I don’t know,” He looked up at me, confused again. “Do your parents know that you have this…ability?” he asked as I cringed.
“Um…I’ve never met them. I lived with a foster family until I was sixteen,” I admitted.
“I’m sorry…” I shook my head, over it by now. It still stung, but I cared less. “So, you can’t hear what I’m thinking? At all?” I shook my head.
“I don’t know why. I mean—I can hear everyone else, even people in the apartments on the first floor, but not you. It’s kind of frustrating actually…. Can I?” I asked and moved my hand close to him.
He nodded and watched me as I took his hand, holding it gently. I sighed and closed my eyes as the room went completely silent. “Can you hear anything?” he asked hesitantly as I opened my eyes.
I shook my head again, smiling a little. I really looked at him for the first time, realizing how attractive he was.
I hadn’t been attracted to anyone for a long time; I never had the chance to, around always hearing everyone else’s thoughts and trying to drown them out.
Vic had long, straight brown hair and matching eyes that went perfectly with his tanned skin. I found myself caught up in the way his hair brushed against his shoulders and the way his bangs framed his face.
“You’re staring at me again,” Vic said, pulling me from my thoughts. “Um—s-sorry…I…” He shook his head, a kind smile on his lips.
“I don’t mind. I like having cute boys stare at me,” I made a face. Was he flirting with me? “Um…thank you?”
He nodded simply, still holding my hand. “Why don’t you think I’m crazy?” I asked.
Vic shrugged and smiled again. “You just sound so believable. Like…you don’t sound like someone trying to get attention…but more like…tortured? I don’t know, I just do,” I frowned and looked at the floor.
“Thank you…. Most people think I’m crazy,” I said. “It kind of sucks,” Vic smiled a little and squeezed my fingers.
“So, have you ever tried to research it? Like, maybe there’s a way to stop it,” he offered.
“No, um…why?” I asked. I kind of liked how curious he was. “I don’t know, I just want to help….” I smiled at him. “Then maybe I’ll let you,” ~
♠ ♠ ♠
i don't know, I got bored

title- "Wonderless" Pierce the Veil