When Love Arrives

Theater and Boy Bands

"I want out," I told our director just right after we had our last company call for the week.

Chris was still reading our script, fingers tracing his lips as it formed into a smile.

We just had a full-house and it was one of those rare standing ovation moments you see after you get to watch something really good.

"I know you've been smoking, but I didn't know that you've been smoking those..." I cut him short.

"I'm not doing pot or have I been smoking anything else rather than nicotine tainted, lung-baking sticks." I rolled my eyes. "I just want an out."

"Jude, have you seen the crowd earlier?" Chris raised his well-plucked brow. He had better eyebrows than I did. "You were the mastermind behind that applause worthy performance. You're insane if you really meant that."

"Well, I quite have a knack for bad decision making but I think this one's an exception," I breathed out. "Things are... I'll explain next time. Things are just hard."

He looked at me like I was talking in a foreign language, trying to absorb and analyze every syllable that glided out of my mouth - which surprised me on how smooth it all came out. Like I've been practicing a monologue for quite some time now.

Chris just let out an exasperated sigh and rubbed his temples before his short attention span came through. A smug smile starting to creep on his face as a medium built man passed by, his butt well sculpted with the help of his Levi jeans.

"You're impossible," he finally let out. "You owe me a waffle date."

"I'm taking that as permission granted," I couldn't help but smile. "You do know that I love you, right? No homo." I quickly added in.

Chris then gave out a chuckle that sounded a mix of both sensual and daunting. Sometimes I wondered if maybe he was a little straight, I'd totally hit on him.

"You're on hiatus... for now. Nothing permanent yet," he said. "I'm still relaying this to the head."

"Well, um, okay." Panic started to cave in me. I knew that I wasn't going to be let off the hook easily by the head but I still took my chances. "I'm just going to take a drag. It's freezing here."

It was still nice to know that I had a few days off at the least.

I went out the back of the Young Vic Theatre and slung the metal door behind me gently. I've always had a thing for banging doors unintentionally and I was starting to make it as a habit to mind my door closing. My mother used to scold me every time I let the door make a noise so it just got to me as I grew older.

I took out my Marlboro Black and star-spangled USA Zippo out of my coat pocket and started to flick up the light from it until I saw a black Range Rover routing to the back of the theater.

3 men came down from the vehicle. 2 of them were around my age who looked like they were wearing 3 months worth of my flat rental and there was a well-built guy who wore a SECURITY black shirt.

I knew exactly who they were. Celebrities.

"Great," I shook my head as I lit my cigarette. "Celebrities."

Don't get me wrong, I loved everything and mostly everyone in the limelight who were worth liking. From watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians to Fashion Police. Alternative, indie, pop, rock, a bit of rap and hip hop... you name it. I was familiar with all those but sometimes I forget who is who due to the expanding media talents in the world. I wasn't that kind of stuck-up bitch who only appreciated the underground scene of everything else. But I swore to myself to be calm and collected since I had this life motto of not minding anyone's business just as long as they aren't messing with mine.

Celebrity 1 was wearing a coat which looked kind of familiar. I contemplated on which brand it may be until I remembered seeing a YSL collection that wouldn't be released until 2015.

Stupid rich people with expensive coats.

He was also wearing a beanie and a dark pair of shades to maybe hide his identity. But whoever he was, no idea was entertained.

Celebrity 2 was also wearing a coat but he was less concerned of people probably trying to identify him so he wasn't wearing any shady eye wear. A muffled scarf and beanie were the only things occupying his face and head area. But even with less precaution, it didn't ring to me on who he was.

I was slowly disappointed with the knowledge I had.

Celebrity 1 then went inside the Theatre, gingerly going through the back door without looking at anyone. He was accompanied by their body guard. But before that their body guard talked to Celebrity 2 first, probably asking him if it was okay that he was to be left outside since it looked like he wasn't that much interested to getting in.

Instead, he approached me and asked if he could borrow my lighter.

"Hello," he smiled. "May I borrow your lighter?"

I just looked at him knowing that he was famous but not knowing who exactly he was, I didn't freak out that much. Before I worked in London I was also trained to keep calm whenever someone who was put off the "average person" circle approached me.

"Here," I politely smiled back as I handed him over my Zippo lighter.

"Thank you," he said as he flipped it open and lit up his Marlboro red. "I'm guessing you're American?"

I then found it weird that he was actually talking to someone he didn't know. Let alone I didn't know him at all. Even if he was famous and all. But that's the thing with celebrities. They're still normal human beings like everyone else.

"Half," I kept my answers short before taking another drag. "Half American, half Filipino."

"That's cool," he replied as he took a long drag from his cigarette. "I've never met anyone Filipino yet."

From the looks of it, he looked like he was quite a smoker for some time now. I've only been smoking for a couple of months never dared to take a drag that long - which kind of looked like it lasted for 10 seconds.

"We're just your average sort of Asian-looking but with Spanish surnames kind of people," I said. "We're pretty great."

Minutes into talking to a total stranger and here I was already shitting them with the flattery and humble brag I always exuded whenever I was asked with my nationality.

Celebrity 2 chuckled and fished out his phone from his coat pocket.

I kept my stare fixed on him as he was scrolling through his phone. I tried to remember every interview I've seen on E! and on Ellen. I was pretty sure that I've seen him before on Ellen.

"You're going to pop a nerve if you continue that stare, mate." he laughed.

I quickly snapped from my daze.

"I'm sorry I just..." My cheeks started to fluster. "I know I've seen you somewhere but I can't recall where. I don't want to offend you since I know you're famous and all, I just can't really remember-"

He let out a louder laugh.

"Zayn Malik," he reached out his free hand. "Boy band member. Regular person just like you are."

Oh my God. One of the UK's biggest acts and here I was trying to remember who he was.

I was surprised with myself. They were huge but I wasn't able to recognize him. I mentally slapped my forehead.

"Um, Jude Calay," I took his hand and shook it. "Theater geek. Ultimately sorry for not recognizing you."

"Tis fine," Zayn smiled as he took another long drag. "So, why are you out here in the blistering cold?"

"I actually have the same question for you," I replied. "But since you asked first, it's also freezing inside. And you can't smoke in there. So might as well go out and kill myself despite the same freezing temperature."

His One Direction friend went inside where it was toasty. Why didn't he accompany him?

He shrugged with probably my comment regarding smoking.

"Same sentiments," he said as he looked over at his back where the NO SMOKING ALLOWED INSIDE THE THEATRE sign was scrawled. "Plus Harry wanted to watch a show I was less interested in. Just accompanied him on the ride here."

"Oh," I said as I drew another stick from my pack. This Harry quickly registered to my head as the curly brunette one in the group.

"So do you work here or are you just appreciating the arts?" he asked.

"I, uh-" I contemplated which category I fell under. "I used to be one of the productions' playwrights. But I quit around half an hour ago. Well I'm not totally off the hook since our director has to relay it to our head first. So I'm basically jobless as of now."

I was surprised with how much information I gave out about what just happened. But I knew he could've cared less, only wanting to strike up small talk while waiting for his friend.

"Why'd you quit?" he asked in suspicion.

"It's kind of hard to explain," I flicked my cigarette. "I just wanted a break."

A smile then started to form from the side of his face.

"Don't we all?" he nodded in amusement. "3 days off for us is already a blessing."

I was about to say something until his phone rang.

He held up his finger and smiled. Mouthing an apology saying that he had to take it.

I finished my second and last stick for the day until he turned back to where I was.

"T'was my mate," he said as he placed back his phone in his pocket. "Show's about to start."

I wondered how the inside of the place was knowing there was one of the UK's biggest boy band member sitting somewhere there.

"So it might take him awhile," Zayn continued. "Would you want to grab something to eat? I'm on the brink of starving."

"Sure," I said as I readjusted the scarf I was wearing. "Where'd you fancy? There's a bar / restaurant inside. They serve really good food. The staff's also a bonus since they don't go crazy over British boy band members. We were taught on how to stay chill whenever instances like these happen,"

"Professionalism?" he smiled and started shuffling from his steady position.

"Professionalism," I smiled back. "But when you leave, that's where they go a bit crazy."

The Cut was a nice place to chill whenever we were on breaks. The place never got crowded to the point where it was unbearable to stay in. It was also vegan friendly which was nice, but I wasn't really vegan - but it was a nice atmosphere nonetheless.

Zayn ordered their dessert wine while I got myself a grass-fed burger and strawberry fizz soda. I was rooting for hot chocolate but since I was getting something savory, it wouldn't be a pretty good match if I insisted on it.

We took a seat around the far left corner so people couldn't see us that much. The place was usually packed by an older crowd, so they didn't really care that much.

"Aren't you hungry?" I asked as I looked at my watch. It was already 4:30 pm and the show must've been running for at least 15 minutes already.

"I'm good," he said as he sipped his drink. "Nice place, yea?"

"It is," I smiled, but then remembered that I may not be seeing this place as much often now. "Most of the items here are organic, so it's pretty cool."

I took a bite out of my burger and suddenly fell into this trance where I didn't care about who I was with. I was just damn hungry so the poise and composure were practically gone by now.

"So, tell me more about yourself, Jude."

"Well," I started gaining composure again. "Aside from the Theater stuff I write and watch a lot."

"Like films?" he asked, rubbing his chin that had minimal facial hair.

"Yup. Films, concerts, festivals -" I said. "I go to events so I'm kind of sociable."

I stared at the food I was holding thinking if what I said was right.

"Yea, kind of." I finished.

Zayn just smiled and asked a couple of more questions.

Like how did I come upon London, how do I like the weather, if I had any friends here, how was it like in my hometown, etc.

To answer all those, I liked London a lot. I liked it more than America which was like a second home to me since my grand parents lived there. And I visited them every time I had a long weekend. I was still a bit skeptical with the weather since it was mostly rain, cold and freezing. I only had a few friends, most of them are from the Young Vic and a couple of baristas who knew me by name while going to regular swings over at the local Starbucks. As for my hometown - the Philippines - I liked it a lot. The weather sucked since we had a tropical climate, and the traffic is just as bad as to that of New York and a very busy day in London - but home is home.

"So where do you plan on working now?" Zayn asked.

I was starting to feel like I was in an interview. I didn't get to ask him much.

"Wait, you've been throwing questions at me for the past half hour," I stated. "Can I ask you questions as well?"

He chuckled at how innocent my question was.

"I'm so fed up with being asked all the time about myself. Besides, you can look it up over on the web," he said. "But most of them are rubbish, anyway."

I didn't take what he said as an offencement. I knew where he was coming from. From album promotions, Ellen DeGeneres and Jimmy Kimmel shows - they were always interviewed. Piled up in a nice sofa which cradled all 5 of them every time, I got how he was tired of all this. Especially if they've been doing it for how many years already.

"Besides," he smiled. "It's nice to be just listening and asking for once in a while. Especially if you meet a new Londoner who's from foreign lands."

I just smiled and nodded at how nice of a person he was in the flesh. I wasn't that updated with One Direction considering I barely go online nowadays. I only checked on my social media sites whenever it was work-related.

"It's nice being listened to," I grinned. "To fulfill your listening cravings, my answer to that question is I absolutely have no clue yet. Although I've sent my resume to a couple of companies, I don't expect on certain measures just yet."

He probably looked surprised at how chill I was considering that I didn't have any job at the moment.

"Whatever happens, happens." I stated.

"Agreed," Zayn took a final swig of his dessert wine. He looked at it very satisfyingly. I should consider ordering that the next time I come here.

We both then heard a ring and figured that it was his phone.

"It's Harry," he said. "Show's over. We still have somewhere to go to so we can't stay any longer. I -"

I smiled and asked for the waitress to check out or bill.

"It's no problem," I said. "I still have stuff to do anyway."

Wrong. I didn't have anything left to do but go home and probably sleep until tomorrow.

We paid for our bill then headed out at the back again where the Range Rover was parked.

Harry wasn't in sight so I figured he was already inside the car. Not that I was hoping for Zayn to introduce me to him.

"So I guess we'll just see each other next time. Thank you for the lovely chat, Jude," he let out another polite smile. "I think I found Harry his new best friend. You two have a lot in common."

I was about to say something regarding the latter part, but I chickened out and just said, "Me too," and a "Have a pleasant evening."

After a quick hug, the Range Rover rolled out and I was left there for a minute thinking about what Zayn said about Harry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, after 3 years I'm back on Mibba. I hope my writing hasn't been that rusty.