Marks

the ruins of Hieve

It’s been six years since war broke out across the country, six years since her feet last touched the cobblestone pathways of the city. It has only been six days since the enemy burned it to the ground. Ashes gather on her tongue as she wanders the once familiar streets, bones of the dead crunch underfoot. She stared forward, eyes cold and withdrawn, a small platoon of men behind her.

The old church still smoldered in places, what once was holy desecrated. Bodies hang rotting from the ramparts, blood paints phrases on the walls. Where is your God now? The lady passes through the shattered glass behind the alter and feels the silence of the building. Few windows remained, the colored glass smudged with the ashes of the dead. They had once called her holy too.

Samuel had taken most of the bodies down, but the stench and the ropes remained. Elianna was scrubbing at some of the ruder phrases on the walls, whispering prayers and forgiveness as she worked. A half finished summoning circle lay between the alter and the door. Forbidden magic for the desperate. It was a cruel joke to use it here.

“They were damned the moment that circle was drawn.”

“They were already damned, Elianna. It was a free city - no one expected an attack.”

The lady scuffed the circle with the toe of her boot and turned away from the bickering pair. Children’s toys littered the ground side by side with prayer books and blood splatters. They had made a show of murdering the town. The lady leaned down to scoop up a shard of blue glass and turned it slowly between her fingers.

“Samuel.” Her voice echoed down the aisle startling the pair,“How do you feel about fire?”

White teeth gleamed from between dark lips, “It purges.”
♠ ♠ ♠
welp too much dragon age
-A