Illuminate

One.

Simone

Kelly unlocked the door to her new apartment and walked over to Simone, who was sitting on the couch watching a movie on her laptop. She sat next to her friend, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

“Guess who got guest listed plus one to The Maine tonight?”

Simone’s head whipped to her right to stare at Kelly with wide eyes.

“What?” she asked, slamming her laptop shut.

“Guess Johnny boy couldn’t resist some more,” Kelly said with a smirk. “Besides, I need to get my underwear back.”

Simone gasped before erupting in a fit of giggles, her laptop sliding onto the carpeted floor.

“I fuckin’ love you, Kelly. You’re incredible,” she breathed out after she managed to calm down. Kelly’s smirk was still strong as she stood from the couch.

“Make sure to look hot. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s not like you already don’t, but you should know Webster Hall is known for the hot guys who go there.”

Shaking her head, Simone sat up and went back onto her laptop, a small smile still playing on her lips. The time on the corner of her computer informed her that she had a couple hours left until the deadly duo were to leave on time for the show. Gathering all the energy her body could muster, she stood up and made her way to the bathroom. After reaching into the shower to turn the hot water on, she stripped quickly and double-checked that there was a towel in the room. She took her time washing her hair and body, shaving her legs twice as well just for good measure. While she was freshly out of patience with the opposite sex at the young age of twenty-two, she knew that there’d be no getting out of having to associate herself with them tonight. Kelly would make sure of it.

After stepping out of the shower and drying off quickly, she carefully made her way back to her room. Simone was already immensely grateful to have her own room. In California, she shared a room with Kelly and while it wasn’t necessarily a terrible experience, she missed the simple pleasures in life like being able to hold onto privacy after a shower. She threw a silk nightgown and a cardigan on, putting her hair into a towel on her head to keep it out of the way while she applied her makeup. She did her usual winged eyeliner, deciding to hold off on lipstick until it was time to leave. She took her hair out of the towel and moved it to hang low against her back to air dry.

“Kel, do you want something to eat before we go?” she called out.

“Already on it!” Kelly shouted back.

Simone immediately raced out of her room and into the kitchen to see her best friend with a concentrated look on her face, staring at the pot of water in front of her.

“You know, water boils a hell of a lot faster if you don’t stare at it.”

“Thanks, bitch,” Kelly grumbled. “I had no idea. Love you.”

“Love you too, bitch,” Simone snorted back. She walked over and placed a lid on top of the pot. “This will help it boil faster. You’ll hear it when it’s ready for ya.” She paused to look on the counter. “Mac and cheese again?”

“As if you’d ever object.”

Simone shrugged and walked to the bathroom to hang up the towel. When she entered the kitchen again she hopped onto the counter, grabbing Kelly’s phone to play some music. The two sang together, poorly of course, probably causing any innocent overhearing bystander’s ears to bleed. Simone hopped off the counter and they danced around the small tiled space like idiots. They occasionally paused so Simone could help Kelly with the pasta. As much as Simone adored Kelly with all her being, she didn’t, however, adore her (lack of) even basic cooking skills.

However, with a little patience and effort on both ends, the girls managed to complete their meal. Parker was nowhere to be found but neither one worried. He was an adventurous soul, inevitably taking a tour of the city with his inherent sense of direction.

They were now sitting next to each other at the kitchen bar, happily eating their delicious pasta in peace. Once they were done Simone offered to clean up while Kelly went off to go shower. Once Simone was done rinsing off the dishes and throwing them in the dishwasher to be cleaned once it was full, she returned to her room. She blow dried the damp parts of her hair until her hair was completely dry, then threw all of it into a messy bun on top of her head. She stared into her closet of newly unpacked clothes, trying and failing to come up with a half decent outfit. After what felt like hours of standing there, she decided on high waisted black skinny jeans, a black and white striped crop top, and a double layered olive green winter coat. She grabbed a pair of socks and her high heeled black Chelsea boots once she was done changing and walked into the living room.

Simone mechanically slipped her socks and boots on before standing up just as Kelly came out of her room. She was wearing black skinny jeans as well, with a ripped up band tee and a leather jacket. Kelly never went anywhere without wearing her combat boots so it was easy for Simone to not really notice them at this point.

“Damn Simone, that eyeliner is on point today though,” Kelly commented.

“Damn Kelly, that booty’s on point though! Turn around!” the blonde exclaimed, clapping her hands in approval. “You look so good.”

“You guys should start dating,” Parker interjected in the kitchen, having managed to sneak into the apartment without either of the girls noticing. “You’d look cute together.”

“You wish, perv,” Kelly spat jokingly, walking over to him to place a sloppy kiss on his cheek before reaching across him to grab an apple off the counter. As she spun around she failed to notice the horrifying blush on Parker’s cheeks.

Of course, Simone noticed though, making her shake her head for what seemed like the hundredth time that day. She smiled sympathetically at her brother. Kelly was so oblivious to what she was putting that poor boy through.

The girls left the apartment after wishing Parker a good night. They walked to the subway, with Kelly leading the way. Despite the fact that it had been a couple years since she’d been back in New York, she knew every inch of that city like the back of her hand. Once they reached their stop, Kelly took a hold of Simone’s arm for both security and warmth. Though it was only the beginning of fall, the city was a bit chillier than it usually would’ve been. This made walking outside a complete pain in the ass but both the girls knew that once they stepped foot inside that venue it would be a complete 180 in temperature from what it was like outside. Venues, especially ones like Webster, were so jam packed with people that the body heat generated that it could be negative twenty degrees outside and no one would have any idea. It was distracting, it was unnerving, it was unsanitary, unnerving, and downright dingy, but the girls loved it. They loved the music, loved the vibe and loved the scenery and so did everyone else.

Kelly led Simone to the bodyguard on the side of the venue.

“My name is Kelly Veneziano, I’m guest listed under The Maine and I have my plus one and my ID with me,” she told the man smoothly. He looked at his clipboard uninterestedly before crossing something up and glancing back down at the two, stepping out of the way of the door.

“Just hold out your left arms,” he instructed. They did as they were told and he secured blue paper wristbands around their tiny wrists. After that was over with, they slipped inside the venue. Kelly smiled broadly at her friend who was following closely behind her lead. Once they were in with the crowd, Kelly turned to Simone.

“Do you mind if i…”

“Go back to get your underwear?” Simone said with a smirk. Kelly smirked back. “Nope,” she said, popping the ‘p’ sound. “Go get ‘em, tiger. I’ll call you when the set’s over and we’ll figure out the night from there.”

After Kelly quickly hugged her and disappeared into the sea of people, Simone walked to the back to grab a can of soda. Walking towards the stage again, she stayed in the back, careful to keep as much distance from the other fans there as well. She loved shows, she just didn’t exactly love being covered in other people’s sweat or being trampled by the hundreds of people who were taller than her.

The infamous heat of the venue made it’s way through her multiple layers of clothing, making her shed off her jacket in order to stay comfortable. The first band came on, who was really the reason why she wanted to go to the show in the first place. Title Fight had been one of her all time favorite bands, and though she’d seen them live a dozen times, it never got old. As they played their set, she sang along and swayed slightly to the beat. About halfway through, someone tried to squeeze past her, making her step forward.

“Excuse me,” the voice said as they placed a hand on her voice. She turned around to slap the fucker for putting a hand on her like that only to see that it was the guy from earlier.

“Oh, hey! Simone, right?” he said, leaning forward so she could hear him over the blaring music. She could only manage a nod and a small smile. He enveloped her in a hug then, his hand never leaving her body but to only pull her close to him for a short embrace. “Small world,” he commented.

“It is. You like Title Fight?” she asked, attempting to keep conversation with the dangerously alluring man.

“They’re the only reason why I’m here, honestly.”

“Same,” she said. “That and my best friend is here somewhere. She made friends with the singer of The Maine and got us guest listed but I would’ve come here whether that happened or not,” she ranted.

“Since you’re alone then, you won’t mind me staying here for your company then?” He asked, making her immediately shake her head and mentally face palm herself for looking so damn eager. He only smiled graciously at her before standing next to her to turn his attention back to the stage.

Once Title Fight’s set was over, the man tapped Simone’s shoulder.

“Do you want to grab coffee or something? To be honest, the other bands just aren’t my cup of tea and I’d rather not leave a little bird such as yourself to be alone in a venue like this while she waits for her friend.”

“Oh, um, thank you,” she smiled. “I’ll text Kelly and tell her to meet me at the subway later then?”

The man shrugged lightheartedly. “Whatever works for you.”

Simone pulled out her phone and shot Kelly a text.

Hey, lucky bitch. Hope you’re having fun with the panty stealer. You’ll never guess who I just ran into… Adonis. No, but really. British Adonis. Picture it and text me when you’re done ;)

“We’re good,” she breathed, looking up at him. Even in her heels he was a good six inches taller than her.

He grabbed her hand softly and led her out of the venue, letting go once they made it outside, much to Simone’s disappointment. She slipped on her jacket as the cold bitter air nipped at her skin.

“Hey, so before I go running off down the streets of NYC with a total stranger in the middle of the night, do I have the pleasure of knowing your name?” she asked.

The man turned to her with a smile on his face, his dimples completely visible even under the streetlights.

“Harry,” he copied her from earlier that day, “My name is Harry.”

*

Kelly

“You’re fucking incredible,” John told her sincerely. “Don’t forget to text me when you make it home safely.”

“Will do, Johnny boy,” she said softly to him, placing a last passionate kiss to his lips before walking away.

Kelly had texted Simone earlier in the night and they established that they would just meet back at the apartment. She’d gone home by herself before a hundred times before and she knew how to stay safe. Stay in groups, preferably next to an older man who could protect you and definitely see you as a daughter figure, furthermore encouraging him to protect you. Keep your pocketknife in your hand in your jacket on the subway, all that good stuff. She made it back to the apartment in no time, safe and sound.

She tried to unlock the door but a small chain kept the door from opening more than a few inches. She cursed under her breath, pulling her phone out to call her best friend to come get the door when it slammed in her face. A second later it opened again, a shirtless and incredibly sleepy Parker standing in the doorway. He stepped aside to let her in.

“Why are you here so late? And why didn’t you walk my sister home?” He inquired, a certain edge to his voice.

“Are you my fuckin’ dad now?” She hissed at him. “I had a good night. Don’t you dare rain on my parade.”

He looked at her gorgeous yet tired face, taking in her features when he noticed a new one he wished he hadn’t. Hickies were sprinkled all over her neck and he swallowed harshly.

“I just want you to realize neither one of you should be walking around this late by yourselves. You may think you’re strong and invincible but-”

“I think I’m strong and invincible because I am strong and invincible, dick wad. Please don’t test me,” she pleaded, huffing in annoyance when he just stared at her with an unreadable expression.

“Goodnight, Parker,” she called after him in the hall, leaving him standing in the doorway speechless.
♠ ♠ ♠
2,410 word beast. Fuckin' nailed it.