Status: Slowly updated, but active!

Sweetest Taboo

Chapter Four

Sundays were always spent with her father. Whether he would spend it at the studio, or hanging out with his band mates, or simply just staying at home, she would always spend them with him.

Evelyn stopped at the first shopping window she found interesting, her eyes casually glancing at Michelle before gluing themselves back to the mannequin in front of her. Michelle wasn’t supposed to come with them, Evelyn had wanted to go to the mall with her father only, but it seemed like Valary was too busy to entertain her sister, so she had tagged along.

Maybe she was a daddy’s girl, but to her with was more the fact that she couldn’t stand to watch them hold hands while strolling in the mall, oblivious to the nauseating feeling it provoked on Evelyn.

“Do you want to go inside?” Michelle seemed to be starting to get impatient.

“No, I don’t think so.” Evelyn slowly stepped away and resumed its position next to Brian, whose hand had been once again caught by Michelle’s. Evelyn rolled her eyes without any of them noticing it. Such a needy woman.

As Evelyn expected, as the week went on, things between her father and her stepmother had returned to normality. She didn’t like it of course, but between school, volleyball practices and trying to be the perfect daughter, she didn’t have much free time to come up with plans to drive Michelle away from him. And it’s not like she could just make her disappear. Or could she?

The girl stopped in front of another store, this time not really paying much attention to its contents. No, killing someone was too risky. She had promised herself that she would do this the right way. The smart way.

“Let’s go inside.” Evelyn pulled his father by his arm, her smile growing wider when she saw that Michelle wasn’t pleased with her decision. Brian probably didn’t even realize it, but to Evelyn it was all about catching the little signs people tended to give, sometimes without even noticing, like the way Michelle’s shoulders slumped and how her pace slowed as they walked inside.

“Hey, why don’t you go do your own shopping, I don’t want to bore you.” She showcased a big smile that only she knew to be as fake as Michelle’s blonde hair. “Dad can stay with me.” She tightened her grip around Brian’s arm.

Neither of them complained. Michelle nodded and told them she would call when done with her shopping and Evelyn almost squealed in delight. She would have her dad just to herself after all.
After almost an hour of shopping, in which Evelyn had made sure that wasn’t just filled with trips to stores her father would find boring, she was now finishing what had become an exhausting task of trying six different dresses.

As the final dress slid over her hips a smile was formed on her face. The sleeveless dress had a zipper on the back, which would require her father’s attention.

“Dad?” She called out and listened to his footsteps getting closer to the stall door. She opened it and turned around, not needing to say a word for Brian to zip it up. The full length mirror in front of her reflected them both, but her eyes were only cast on him, anticipating his opinion on the dress.

“You look stunning, just like you looked on the other five.” He had a wide smile on his face as he spoke. “You can make anything look beautiful just by wearing it.”

Evelyn felt herself blush, although in her heart she knew that his father’s remarks are based on fatherly love and not lust, like she would want it to be. Still, she knew it was better than nothing.

“Well, you’re not helping, dad,” she said in a playful voice. “Which one should I get then?”

“Why not all of them? It’d be a crime not to buy them all when you look equally amazing in every single one.” And before Evelyn could even process what he’d just said, his fingers were back on the zipper, this time pulling it down.

He’s undressing you, she said to herself, the redness on her cheeks only not evident because of her tanned skin. Evelyn wanted to close her eyes so that her thoughts could become visions, but stopped herself for the sake of not looking like one of his groupies.

“There you go.” Her bare back was again facing him, the feeling of his long fingers still lingering on it as he closed the door and walked away.

Brian was paying for the dresses when Michelle joined them, bags cluttering her hands and a smile of accomplishment on her face.

“Look what dad bought me!” Evelyn smiled at her, before Michelle’s eyes landed on the big pile of dresses. She already knew Michelle thought Brian spoiled her, another reason why she wanted to rub it in her face again.

She didn’t say a word, though. Her smile just faded and her eyes shifted from the shorter girl to his husband, but Evelyn could see the jealousy. It was dad’s money after all, so if she could spend it why couldn’t Evelyn?

***


The sun was starting to set and the wind that flowed through the open windows wasn’t as warm as it used to be. Winter was slowly coming, but thankfully winters in California weren’t as harsh as in Texas.

Evelyn stood by the kitchen sink, getting everything ready for hers and her father’s dinner, since Michelle had decided to go out for dinner with Valary, Lacey and the others. She wasn’t upset about having to cook, it was something Evelyn loved, not to mention that it would provide another moment alone with her father.

She washed the vegetables, laying them on the cutting board and swiftly slicing them afterward. Just as she was about to finish, the sharp knife catches her index finger, making a large cut on it.

“Fuck,” she muttered under breath, instinctively sucking the blood that was starting to leave the finger. She was about to step away from the kitchen counter when Brian’s footsteps made her freeze.

Evelyn listened to him head toward the fridge, her back facing him and her eyes staring down at the cutting board. A thought crossed her mind and she smiled.

The way her fingers clenched around the knife handle made her knuckles get slightly lighter, slowly making its way to the already opened wound. Evelyn bit her lower lip and shut her eyes, forcing the knife to deepen the wound until she couldn’t handle it anymore.

“Damn!” The loud cry made Brian quickly turn around, the sound of the knife falling down to the tiled floor following it.

“Are you okay? What happened?” The concerned expression on his face only worsened once he saw the blooding oozing from Evelyn’s finger and the tears from her eyes.

“Let me see it.” He gently washed the blood that now started to crawl down to her palm, only causing Evelyn to shed more tears. “I’m sorry.” He tried to soothe by caressing her hair. “I need to see how deep it is.”

It was deep, Evelyn knew it. She had made sure it was deep enough to be more than a simple cut.

“I think it will need stitches,” he said while ushering her toward the bathroom. She shook her head. “It won’t hurt, trust me. Let’s just disinfect it first.”

Once again Evelyn shook her head. She knew the wound wouldn’t need stitches, she hadn’t cut that deep and she didn’t want to end up having to go to the hospital. She just wanted his attention.

She leaned against the counter, watching her father douse the cotton ball in antiseptic and gulping hard as he pressed it against the open cut.

“No!” She yelled, moving her finger away from his grip.

“Come on, Ev.” Brian cupped her tear stained face. “It’s for your own good.” He held her finger gently, his large hands overshadowing the cotton. Evelyn flinched, but decided to keep still, watching him swab the cut as is she was made of glass.

She could feel his breath on her arm, his free hand holding her wounded one as tenderly as possible and her forehead almost touching his lips. The heat from his body was being transferred to hers and she could actually feel the exact moment that her heart began to beat faster.

“We should go to the hospital.”

Cursing internally, Evelyn nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Things will start to get more interesting soon, I promise!

Thank you guys for all the love! xoxo