Psychogenic

✝Eighteen✝

10-31

Today's the day. The day of the dead, and also my death.

But of course, I'm waiting until it's late. There's still many things to do today. And one of them is roll bread with Bethany like every other morning.

I worked extra hard and tried to be as polite as possible, not that I was ever mean. I just always seemed annoyed, but today I took that article of me off. I shined at bright as a star to be honest.

When I finished work with Bethany, she explained some things about me.

"Well, today's your last day working here. Arkham is coming this evening and assistance will no longer be needed." She clarified, putting the tray into the oven and turning it on. "Thank you so much for your help."

"No problem." I replied with a smile before slipping off my gloves. It wasn't until I was at the door that Bethany stopped me.

"There's a rumor floating around that Arkham is going to pull a drill tonight." She whispered, so I spun around.

"What?" I questioned.

"He's going to have all the guards open the doors and see if Sister Margaret can handle the chaos. Some sort of test. Don't tell anyone I told you, in fact I'm not sure if it's true yet." I nodded.

"Thank you." I complimented before existing the kitchen. I knew where I wanted to go next.

My eyes traced the room in the hopes of finding Andy. And eventually, I seeked him out. He was sitting in the corner of the room, a cigarette dangling from his lips. I practically ran over to him.

I sat down beside him in complete silence. My fingers traced the outline of the paper tucked beneath my pants waist line.

"Hey, can you do me a favor?" I asked politely, gazing at the cigarette dangling from his lips. He pulled it out and tossed it on the floor. It wasn't even lit.

"Sure, what do you want?" He spoke, squinting his eyes as he looked around the room.

"Vic won't be solitary forever, so when he gets out...give him this." I pulled out the note when the guards weren't looking and gave it to Andy. He looked at it with a skeptical expression.

"Why can't you give it to him?" He asked shortly after.

"I just...I can't, and don't read it please. I'm trusting you." His eyes met mine.

"Fine." He replied with a sigh, tucking it under his waist band.

"Thank you." I replied before standing up and walking away with a meer wave.

That would be the last time Andy and I would talk most likely.

I sat on the couch, and I examined things going on around me. I wish I could've been more determined to get out of here. But I've lost all hope in myself and this world.

So I think it's best to go now.



Several hours must've passed. I spent my day on the couch, thinking about tonight, and about Vic. Hopefully he's doing okay down there. I'm going to miss him.

With a sigh, I stood up as I noticed the guards were rounding up the patients. I also noticed the doors open, and in walked a man clothed with a long, black coat and scarf hanging around his neck. He barged through the room as if he were the king, but then I realized something.

He kind of was. This was Arkham, wasn't it?

I scanned the room before hurrying into the unoccupied kitchen. I got into the drawer Grilden opened. And sure enough, there lay sharp, pointed knives. I picked one up hastily and tried my best to hide it under my pants and shirt. When I had it where I wanted, I ran back out sneakily. Nobody noticed.

I followed one of the guards down the hall.

"What time is it?" I asked him. It looked as if he wasn't going to answer, so it surprised me when he did.

"About six o'clock, now scram." I nodded and went into my cell, listening to the familiar sound of locks. I went to my bed and covered myself with a pillow before removing the knife poking my side. Right now, I didn't want to look at the sharp object, so I slid it under the bed.

He's for later.

I laid down and thought about how I was going to do it. Should I do it slowly, through my vein, or quick. I didn't want to be in much pain, I don't tolerate it well. Plus if I did it slow, then they could catch me most likely.

It must've been a good two hours before I sat up again. It was almost time, I wanted to die around nine. I had been counting the minutes in my head gradually. With my luck though, I'd be off.

Slowly, I went to my door and peered out of the bars. No guards were in the halls. Maybe the feast was going on. I sighed before pacing back and forth around the room. But in the end, I rested my head on the bars and watched everything going on outside. Nobody else seemed to be at the bars like me. Everything was silent. But then I heard a peculiar noise.

It took me a few minutes to realize what had happened. But soon I saw the camera no longer held a long, red streak light. In fact, it was completely dark.

It was off.

I heard footsteps about five minutes later. Someone was running. I hurried towards the door, almost bashing into it. What I saw surprised me.

"K-Kellin?" His voice asked me. His face was no more than an inch away from mine, on the other side of the bars.

"Vic? W-What are you doing here?" I questioned, my mind racing.

"The doors opened, so I ran out. I came to see if you were free." More footsteps became sufficient. I looked past Vic, and what I saw surprised me.

There stood Grilden.

"What's he doing here?" I whispered as I remenanced on his threat.

"He knows a way out Kellin, he's going to help us." Vic said quietly. "But we gotta get you out and then we're-"

"Vic." I stopped him, looking back at my bed hiding a knife. "I'm not going with him, he's probably lying."

"It's not a lie, he showed me before we came up here." A knot formed in my stomach. Red lights began to flash everywhere, and then I heard clicks. Vic moved away as my door opened.

"We gotta go!" Vic whisper yelled at me, latching onto my hand. He dragged me down the hall where Grilden was standing. He nodded, and all three of us sped off into the main room.

Bethany wasn't lying about Arkham.

I followed Vic and Grilden quickly and quietly down to the confinement cells and through a square door I didn't recognize. Every went black.

"We're in a duct, kept crawling forward." Grilden spoke, making me shiver. His voice echoed.

My hand clenched Vic's.

I heard screams come from above us, and loud shouts. Threats were spoken aloud many times.

"We're gonna g-get caught." I remarked, trying to hold back tears. I was so scared, there was no other way to put it.

"Shh, we won't...Keep crawling." Vic demanded, his voice shallow.

We kept crawling for quite a long time before I saw a light again. My heartbeat quickened. We moved closer to the dim light, and I soon began to make out what was before my very eyes.

Before my eyes was the Earth, the grass the sky. I no longer heard yells or screaming. I heard thunder, and I saw lightnening.

We crawled out of the duct, and the first thing I felt was the ground. It was muddy. Tears fell from my eyes.

I missed this so much.

When we stood up, I had to hold my breath to keep from screaming out of joy. We were out, now we just had to get away. The main entrance was not far form us.

"They'll be out here in a few minutes, we've got to go." Grilden commanded, hurrying off into the thick trees before us. Vic nodded before we hurried off behind him. A few minutes later, I didn't know which place was where. All I saw was lightening and a huge mass of trees.

"We need to split up." Grilden said to us, resting for a moment. "Do not got back that way." He pointed behind us.

"Good luck." Was all he said before hurrying off the right. Our leader left us there in the pouring rain. We were soaked.

"What do we do?" I asked in tears, filled with fright yet again.

D-Don't cry, let's keep going." Vic's hand took mine again as we ran further ahead. But nothing came out of the trees. It seemed to go on for an eternity.

"They're faster than us Vic, they're going to c-catch up!" I whispered as I heard trees moving behind us. Panic coursed through my body. Vic stopped running and looked at me dead in the eyes.

"We have to split up." He spoke bold, wiping some hair out of my eyes. More tears fell.

"N-No w-what if they c-catch you." I said between sobs, now shivering from the coldness.

"They won't. But if we stay together, they will catch us both. This isn't goodbye Kellin, I'll see you again." I looked at the grass below me.

"Okay." I aaid quickly as the noises became more sufficient.

"I love you." He said quietly, embracing me.

"I love you too." I admitted. And the last thing I saw was Vic smile before hurrying off farther into the trees. He steered off into the left side, so I continued to move forward.

It was hard not to fall due to the fact it was slippery out. In fact, I did fall a few times. Tears still fell from my eyes as I ran, making my vision blurry. I worried about him so much.

I was afraid he'd be taken back and hurt, and I wouldn't see him again.

I'd never live with myself if that happened to him. I continued to run, and eventually there was no longer trees. I saw street lights. More tears fell I hurried off towards the lights.

It was a mixture of happy and sad tears. I was free.

I was home.