Status: Active

For the Love of the Game

010

Friday came quickly and I was extremely anxious to see if I had made the team or not. Things had gone pretty much as good as they could have gone as far as practice went. Farmer’s help over the summer had definitely been a big factor in how the week had gone. I had also started to get know some of the guys on the team and they were all pretty cool for the most part. I was hearing horror stories though about the quarterback who would be back to practice today after a vacation with his family. It sounded like his dad all but bought his spot on the team and he sounded like a complete ass. From what I could tell, a lot of the guys on the team just went along with what they had to keep him happy and avoided them when they could. He definitely had another thing coming when it came to me.

“Olli? You up?” Farmer called from outside my closed door.

“Trying to.” I mumbled.

To say that this week hadn’t been hell would have been a huge lie. I was used to working out and diving for balls and all of that but football was a completely different game and I was moving a little bit slower than usual.

“Come on! It’s the big day and the last practice for a few days.”

“Does this get any easier?” I asked pushing myself up out of bed.

“Yep.”

I put on some practice clothes and grabbed my bag and joined Farmer downstairs from some cereal. I ate a handful of fruit loops and we headed to the stadium to find out who was going to be getting some playing time and who was going to be a benchwarmer.

“Good morning guys! It’s been a long week and I know everyone is tired and sore, the first week is like that. We have watched all of you closely and spent a good bit of time trying to figure out what would be best for the team and that is how we made our decisions. We will continue to watch you guys until the first game and if we feel the need to make any changes to the roster we have right now we will. Most of you are returning from last season so you know how things work. We are going to go ahead and get a short practice out of the way this morning and then we will post the roster. Also, some of you were asking about new uniforms and equipment for this year, but the school didn’t think that was necessary so if you guys still want to get that stuff you better be coming up with a fundraiser to get the money. Alright, let’s hit the field.” Coach Sauder said.

“So, you must be the girl I’ve been hearing about that’s trying to get on the team.”

I turned around and came face to face with the most arrogant looking guy I had ever seen before and he had some of the biggest ears I had ever seen before as well. That was rude of me.

“Well, I don’t see any other girls in here except for me, so I must be.” I said, adding an emotionless smile at the end.

The boy frowned. “You really don’t think you will make the team do you?”

“Well, I’m not much on being cocky so I’ll put it this way, I’ve got just as much of a chance as anyone and we will find out after practice.”

“I wouldn’t be counting on it if I were you.”

“Well, now why would I be here then if I wasn’t counting on it?”

“Colton! Field! Now! You’ve missed the entire first week of practice so if I were you I wouldn’t be standing around for anything. You are replaceable just like everyone else.” Coach Sauder yelled.

Colton pulled his helmet on and walked out of the locker room as I finished tying my cleat up and grabbed my helmet.

“Just a warning Coach, in case you need to change the roster before you post it. I don’t put up with arrogant people.” I said.

“Good. That’s what he needs. I can turn my head momentarily. His dad donates a lot to the school so he gets away with a good bit.”

“That shouldn’t matter.”

“Yeah, well, not everyone thinks like you do, Collins.” He smiled.

The morning flew by as it was shorter than usual and just basic drills as we had been doing all week. Once the last whistle was blown, my mind switched gears from football to what kind of fundraiser we could do to get new equipment. Football meant the world to a lot of the guy on this team and the equipment really wasn’t the best. Even if I didn’t make the team or wasn’t a starter, I still wouldn’t mind trying to help them get some new equipment. I figured Nikki would have some good ideas. He was waiting on my phone call anyway to see if he was going to have to hire a pilot and private jet for every Saturday when school started. I think he was more excited than I was.

As promised, the roster was pinned up in the locker room after practice. The guys quickly swarmed around it, so I stayed back and put some of my equipment in my bag. There was no need in trying to get in the middle of all of them.

“Moment of truth.” Farmer smiled.

“Yep.”

“You have got to be kidding me, Coach.” Colton said loudly.

“About what Colton?”

“You not only let a girl on the team, but she’s starting?!”

“So much for the surprise.” Farmer mumbled.

I pulled the gloves off of my hand and stood up, my temper rising quickly. Coach Sauder eyed me as I stood up.

“Hey, Colton, you got a problem with me being on the team?” I asked calmly.

“Yeah, I do. A barbie doesn’t belong on the football team.”

“A barbie, huh? Do I look like a blonde haired stuck up bitch to you? You’re the only one in here that fits that description, so maybe it’s you that doesn’t belong on the team.”

The entire locker room had gone quiet and all eyes were on me and Colton, a circle forming around us. The only way for him to learn was for me to draw the line, and I was going to draw it now.

“You might want to watch your mouth and your back, bitch.”

“Babe, you can call me every name under the sun and it won’t phase me. I’m going to tell you something right now. I don’t like attention and I don’t like starting shit but this is a team and you are no better than any of the rest of these guys. Nobody likes an arrogant asshole and I promise you I am not going to deal with you pushing me or anyone else on this team around this year.”

He took a step closer and got in my face, but I never flinched. “Is that so? And just what are you going to do about it?”

He shoved me lightly which is exactly what I wanted him to do. I wasn’t really sure why he shoved me because it wasn’t hard enough to do anything, but he had touched me first. Big mistake. I looked at him and smiled.

“Did that make you feel like a man? Like you have a twelve inch dick? C’mon. Do it again.”

He was getting pissed now and he actually shoved me again. That was all I needed.

I rared back and punched him square in his face, knocking him down on his ass and I wasn’t going to stop there. I dropped to my knees and rared back again but the rest of the team stepped in to separate us. I jerked away and went back to the bench where my stuff was. I think I had proven my point good enough for right now, and there was plenty more where that had come from.

“Well, today was definitely interesting.” Farmer said as we drove home after practice.

“Did I not have every right to defend myself?” I asked, a bag of ice laying on my now sore and swollen hand.

“Of course you did. Coach Sauder took care of your hand himself. It was almost like he had admiration or something in his eyes.”

“What can I say? I seem to have that effect on people.”

We grabbed some food and went home and I got a shower and cleaned up. I don’t think I had ever been so glad to see Friday before and all I wanted to do was lay on the couch and watch tv all weekend. I think it was safe to say that I was exhausted.

“Have you called the guys yet?” Farmer asked as he flopped down on the couch beside me.

“About to.” I said as I grabbed the ipad and waited for Nikki’s face to appear in front of me. He must have been waiting because it was only a matter of seconds.

“It’s about time!” Nikki smiled.

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“That’s okay. You look tired.”

“Trust me, I haven’t been this tired in a while. So, uh, you got that pilot and jet lined up yet?”

Nikki smiled. “I sure as hell do! You made the team?”

“Not only did she make the team, but she’s a starting receiver.” Farmer said.

“Holy shit! Way to go Olli! I’m proud of you!”

“Thanks, Nik. So, I have a little confession to make in case the school calls you or something.”

The smile faded a little from his face. “Okay..what kind of call should I be expecting?”

“I kind of punched one of the guys after practice today.” I said, holding up my black and blue swollen hand.

“Jesus, Collins. Did you break anything?”

“Nah.”

“So what was that all about?”

“This guy was being an arrogant asshole because I made the team. He called me a barbie and a bitch and then he shoved me. I told him to do it again and when he did I punched the shit out of him.”

“It was pretty awesome. The coach thought she was a gift from God or something after that.” Farmer added.

“Hey, I don’t like fighting, but don’t you ever let anyone, a girl or guy run over you. I’m proud of you and take care of that hand please.”

“I will. I’m not doing jack this weekend but watching movies. Hey, I have a question for you. The team needs new equipment like new uniforms and practice gear and stuff but there is no money for them to do anything. You have any ideas on fundraisers that we could do to try to raise some money?”

He went silent for a second as he thought about some ways that we could try to raise money for the football team. I knew selling things like discount cards was popular and stuff but I really had no idea where to go around here to sell them. I would have to ask Nikki for help with that as well.

“Well, I’m really not sure. I could ask around and see if I could get some money donated. That would be a little bit easier don’t you think?” He smiled.

“Yeah, probably.”

“I’ll see what I can do, okay? I gotta run for a radio interview, but get some rest and take care of that hand and if you need anything, call me okay? And I’ll talk to you before the show.”

“Sounds good! Have fun!”

I put the ipad down and got situated on the couch and found the Expendables on tv to watch. I smiled as it finally started to sink in that I had made the football team. I couldn’t deny that I was proud of myself and I was more than ready to set out on this new adventure to see what I could accomplish. I was ready to hit my senior going full speed and make the best of it.