Deamon Venator

Chapter Nine

Courtney insisted on Dani joining her on the blind double date. Thankfully she was able to hide her baby bump; she told Courtney that this was going to end in disaster. It didn’t matter that she was a well-known demon hunter; she was pregnant by another man. She wore a flowy black tank top, and a pair of skinny jeans that was bigger than her usual size. It brought tears to her eyes. Blinking them back, Dani didn’t want to ruin her make-up she wore black knee high heels and left her hair down, she put a dagger in each. She grabbed her bag, and headed downstairs, Courtney was going to pick her up any minute now. Worrying her lower lip, she heard a car drive up and peeked out to see Courtney’s car pulling up. Dani made sure she had her key’s and headed out. She climbed in and buckled up, “Courtney about the blind date, does he know about the baby?” Dani asked.
“No.” Courtney answered.
Taking a deep breath, Dani pulled her hair over her right shoulder. Did she want to lie about her pregnancy? Of course she didn’t. But what guy wants to date someone who is carrying another’s baby? It was the same thought that made her choose the outfit in the first place. She had butterflies in her stomach. “So tell me about the guys.” Dani insisted.
“Well they are 6 feet tall, dark hair and dark bedroom eyes, tanned skin, and they can speak several languages, apparently they are also trying to become the next big demon hunter.” Courtney laughed.
“Well mundanes can’t become a demon hunter, they don’t have the senses.” Dani explained.
“Oh,” Courtney stated. Dani hated to break it to her best friend, but it was the truth. Normal humans couldn’t sense demons, and it was impossible for them to gain it. Hell Dani wasn’t exactly sure how Demon Hunters came to be, sure she learned it in classes, but she was never truly good at the book stuff, not like Ryan, she mostly excelled at archery and hand-to-hand combat. Parking the car, they got out, making sure her shirt wasn't stuck and showing the baby bump. "So I could never become one?" She asked.
"Not unless one of your ancestors was one, but of course it would have shown when you were 15." Dani explained.
"What about for you?" Courtney asked.
"That's different, I was raised a hunter. So I was started my training early on in life. All hunter children are. My baby will be," Dani explained.
"Is that what you want?" Courtney asked.
"I don't have a choice, as soon as my baby turns ten, the training begins, of course it's just boring book learning, and weapon training doesn't come until 15." Dani said.
"Sounds so dangerous," Courtney said.
"Well I guess it is, I mean half of the scars on my body, came from training, the other half from demons," Dani shrugged. "It's the life we live. I don't remember a time when hunting wasn't my life. Hunting will be this babies life, it is not my decision to make, and it will be the Elder's."
They stopped at the entrance waiting for their dates. Moments later they saw two guys heading their way. "Courtney and Dani?" One asked.
"That's us, I'm Courtney, and this is Dani." Courtney smiled.
"I'm Aaron and this is Nick." Nick said.
"Hi." Right away Courtney took to Aaron; the four of them went inside.
"Do you have a reservation?" The host asked.
Courtney looked at me. "No, but I was hoping you'd make an exception. I mean Mario told me any time I needed a meal, to just come in." Dani gave her award winning smile. He looked up, and almost fell from his perch.
"I am so sorry Miss. West." He said, "Please follow me." He grabbed four menus and led them to a round booth. The guy's slid in, and then Courtney and Dani slid in, Dani made sure her shirt wasn't tight. "Your server will be right with you."
Smiling, the host quickly headed towards the back. Probably to inform Mario and the kitchen staff of her arrival. A server returned with a bottle of wine. "Compliments of Mario." He said.
"None for me, I don't drink, clouds the senses." Dani lied; of course she didn't want anyone to know about the pregnancy.
"Mario said it was your favourite, am I mistaken?" The server was getting nervous, he didn't want a reprimand.
"Of course not, but my reflexes are slower when I have consumed alcohol, I have learned that from experience. But I would love my guests to enjoy the fabulous flavours of that year." Dani smiled. "With a glass of lemon water for me, please."
The waiter poured three glasses of the wine, Dani really wished she could have a cup. Sure she was told one glass a wine wouldn't harm the baby, but her reflexes really are slower with even one glass of wine, and that can get a person killed. Then he returned with her lemon water. They continued to look over the menu; she kept getting a very bad feeling. She always kept a sensor on her persons at all times, it wasn't going off. Chewing her lower lip, she looked around, being rude and ignoring her companions.
"DANI!" Courtney snapped.
"Sorry, what?" Dani asked she kind of felt bad about ignoring them.
"Is there something more fascinating than us?" Courtney asked.
"Maybe." Dani muttered, "Sorry, I mean of course not." She glanced at them.
"So you’re a demon hunter as well?" Nick asked.
"As well? There is only one demon hunter at this table, trust me, I have met a lot of demon hunter's, but I do know you’re what we call mundanes, and normal humans don't possess the capabilities of being a demon hunter." Dani saw how Aaron and Nick looked a little more than pissed at her words. But it was the truth, and Dani didn't like lying. She jumped a little as she felt the vibrations. Grabbing the sensor it was red. "Get under the table." She ordered, standing up. When they didn't move, she gave them a look. "A demon is here, and no ordinary demon, a demon royalty, trusts me, this is going to get ugly." Finally they got under the table, she grabbed the server. "Get everyone out of here, there is a demon prince here, to make sure no one dies, please send everyone out." She pulled a bag out of her pocket, she dumped the contents in her hand and tossed it into the air, like magic, it covered the whole room, watching the patrons no one showed a sign of being possessed.
The server quickly got everyone out, the three stupid people who she was here with. "Get out of here," looking up she took a step back, as a man stood in front of the big bay window, looking out at the street. "On second thought, stay put." She pulled her cell phone out and dialed the first number that came to mind. She wasn't exactly sure who she was calling.
"Dani?" Ryan asked.
"Demon prince, Mario's, please do hurry." Dani said, "And bring my bow, all I have is daggers and well I don't think that will cut it out."
"On our way!" She could hear voices in the back ground and the roar of his truck as he pushed it harder. Poor truck, it got so much abuse. But she had to smile; he had been there for her, just as he promised. It was hard to stay mad at him, especially when the only reason she was mad at him was because he wasn't there when she got herself into situations similar to this one. Taking a deep breath, she grabbed her daggers and took a deep breath.
"Well isn't this an honor, a demon prince in my wake." No matter how strong she pretends to be, she was scared. He cocked his head to the side, sizing her up. Her fear increased, more so then the situation asked for. "Agramon," The demon of fear, she found herself frozen in her spot. She had to calm down.
The demon prince was just looking at her, and then he was gone. Breathing a sigh of relief she needed to sit before the floor rushed to her. She felt herself start to shake, wrapping her arms around herself, hoping that would stop the shaking. It didn’t.
Ryan rushed in and then rushed to her side. “What happened?” He asked.
“Agramon,” She felt her eyes water. She still felt the fear, but it was slowly fading. “I do not know what the prince wanted, but he had the damn demon of fear here, and I’m coming down from a major fear high.” Dani whimpered.
“Dani, let’s get you out of here, a prince doesn’t just pop in to a place like this without a reason. So I think we really should be going.” Ryan said, he glanced around.
He helped Dani up, and she felt better. Less afraid, she went to the table and peeked under it, “sorry about that, I hope you weren’t too afraid.”
“What the fuck happened?” Aaron snapped.
“I have to say, I agree with Aaron, what happened?” Courtney asked.
Nick was the only one who was quiet. “Well come on out, I think it’s best if we left.” Dani explained. She stood up and glanced at Ryan, “Where’s Dylan and Natalie?”
“Where do you think? Probably sucking each others face off,” Ryan grumbled.
“Ewe,” Dani stated. Seeing some bread sticks, she grabbed one and bit off a piece. She walked outside, there was a dry wind, it felt like trouble was coming. She glanced at Ryan; she knew that he felt that too. Biting her lower lip, Dani quickly went to Ryan’s truck, calling a ‘see you later’ to Courtney and the guys. She climbed in to Ryan’s truck and fingered her quiver.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. Happy Reading! Merry Christmas!