Status: Back at it!

When Something Wrong Feels So Right

One

Standing in the kitchen threshold leaning against the doorframe, he looked into the big lounge room with a soft smile. His large Rhodesian Ridgeback was currently trying his best to topple the young woman that had come highly recommended as a dog walker and caretaker. She was rolling around on a fluffy rug that was his dog’s favorite sleeping place, playing with him and keeping him occupied. He had to laugh out quietly as Cody got the better of her, landed on top of her and started licking her face like there was no tomorrow.

“John!”

Quickly shaking his head as he heard his wife’s voice through the phone that was pressed against his ear. She had called just minutes after Susanne had arrived and she had signaled to him that she would entertain the dog when he excused himself to take the call.

“Sorry Christine, Susanne just got here and Cody is trying to show her who’s boss in the house. What did you say about Brittany?”

He had to physically turn around and disappear into the kitchen in order not to lose concentration again as his wife back home in New York repeated the account of how their daughter had come home with some ‘tattooed and pierced man’ the previous night, introducing him to her as her boyfriend.

“I just stared at the guy and wondered where we had gone wrong John. I mean, a hockey player I could have somewhat survived, but this young man had more holes in his pants than there are in a strainer. She would have never dared bringing a guy like this home if you were here.”

John chuckled and moved around the kitchen, placing his plate and coffee cup from breakfast into the sink after rinsing both. His youngest child had always been prone to go against her mother’s expectations, but this was something new.

“Oh come on Chris, you know she’s just trying to get a rise out of you. Remember when she had this fake belly button piercing when she was 16 and you almost kicked her out because of it?”

He had hoped to hear his wife laugh or at least chuckle, but instead she just sighed.

“I can call her after training if that makes you feel better Christine. I don’t think there’s anything behind it that you would have to worry about darling. But I have to cut you short, I have to still pay Susanne for this week and leave her a few instructions before I go on the road trip with the boys before I head to the rink. I will call you later with any updates. I love you.”

“I miss you, too John. Good luck on your first road trip, don’t forget to check in every once in a while.”

He ended the call and placed his phone on the kitchen counter before bracing himself against it. It was hard to be on the other side of the country from his wife and kids, but he had understood their decision to stay back on the East Coast after the Rangers had dismissed him.
He still wasn’t sure at this stage why he had been kicked out from his position from one day to the next, the reasoning that he had ‘lost’ the team simply didn’t cut it but was the only thing he had been given. A 2nd round exit from the Playoffs was bad, but other teams had gone out before that and still had the same head coach in place.
Vancouver was his new home, and as much as the scenery had changed from the busy life in New York, he loved the city and its people. Knowing that his wife wouldn’t make the journey with him, he had felt lonely, until adopting Cody from a local shelter a couple of weeks into his time on Canada’s West Coast. He realized soon that his busy schedule would not give the dog the care it required, but some of the boys on the team had quickly given him Susanne’s name, he could have also sworn that one of the guys had had a dreamy look when mentioning how fun and caring she was.

“John, don’t you need to head off soon?”

He turned around and looked at the young woman, now standing in the entrance of the kitchen. She was in her late 20’s or maybe even early 30s, but had always been a vibrant soul ever since he had met her the first time.

“Sorry Susanne-“

He cut himself off as he noticed the disapproving look on her face,

“Suzy. But my wife just had a little meltdown about our 25 years old daughter showing up for family dinner with a pierced and tattooed man and I am sure she now thinks he’ll sacrifice her in some sort of ritual.”

They looked at each other and bust out laughing. Cody ran into the kitchen and jumped up on John, licking his hands and nudged him with his nose, earning himself a scratch behind the ears.

“He knows you’re leaving him soon for more than just a couple of hours. He can feel it.”

Susanne said softly as she watched the display of affection and attention between the two. She loved seeing John so carefree and relaxed, he had been the very opposite when she had met him a few weeks ago. He had been tense and somewhat closed off to her and other people, but the more time he spent in Vancouver, the more he had relaxed, getting used to the team’s and city’s dynamics. He was such a strong man but he had his soft sides, too.

“Which reminds me, I left some notes for next week. I hope you don’t mind staying here but Cody is terrible by himself at night.”

He grabbed his wallet and pulled out a cheque for her usual payment and then $400 in cash for the 5 days she was going to look after Cody while he was gone. Walking over to her, Cody was weaving between them and jumped against Susanne’s legs causing her to fall forward slightly. John’s surprisingly strong arms caught her against his torso and a wave of his sporty cologne surrounded her. His whole body was fit and tight, so unlike other men his age.

Looking down into her deep blue eyes, John felt a wave of warmth surge through his body, his arms still holding on to her, as she looked straight back at him. Her full lips looked soft and the smell of vanilla and cinnamon was clouding his senses. Her body was laying against his and he reveled in it, the distance between their faces seeming to shrink as she moved to straighten up a little bit, her eyes still fixated onto his.

“Thanks.”

She muttered as she pushed herself away from him, the moment gone. Their hands were still touching and their eyes still connected, until the dog started jumping up at John and licking their hands.

This moment had just turned so awkward and he didn’t know what to do. Had he just thought about kissing a woman a few years older than his own daughter?

“I really have to go I think. But, are you coming to the game tonight?”

She had to laugh and knelt down to pat Cody yet again. Was he asking her to come to the game?

“I hadn’t planned on it really but I guess I have nothing else to do. Would be nice to see Santorelli on the ice instead of scooping up dog poos from his lawn.”

They both laughed again and the awkwardness was instantly a thing of the past. Moving around the place she slowly followed him to the lounge where he had dropped his bag early in the morning, watching as he slipped into his trainers before pulling his jacket on.

“I’ll make sure you have good seats, maybe sitting close to the bench will have some of the guys tidy up their language when off their shift. Don’t feed Cody too much this afternoon, I might take him on a run after training.”

He stood near his own front door, turning back to the only female in his Vancouver life not connected to his work. Their exchanges were usually brief but had developed into friendly encounters. He liked having his work life cut by seeing her.

“No problem John. I guess I see you this afternoon then.”

John just nodded his head before leaving the house and making his way to his new car. He looked back at the house and saw Susanne stand in the window near the front door, a distant look on her face.

“Wake up John, this is not high school, you’re easily 20 years older than this girl.”

He shook his head and put the car in reverse, hoping that a few hours on the ice would sort him out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi all! I have always had a terribly inappropriate old-man crush on Torts. I know it's wrong, but there's just something about a man who has deep lines from laughter around his eyes, who can go raging wild when standing behind the bench he coaches.
This will be a story with moments of being straight forward, but also times when things are simply more complicated between the characters. I hope that most of you will not frown upon me for my little fantasy :)