Worlds Apart

Nerves

Ronald found his son upstairs in his dressing room with a look of concern on his face. Seth had taken his time getting ready so that everything looked perfect, including the rose in his pocket which took over forty minutes of his time to be angled correctly. The comedian was left with an hour and a half to spare before he had to get downstairs and get married. Seth had sat down and started thinking about all he and Aishwarya had been through, when he first met her, and their future together. Fifty minutes before he was schedule to leave, the negative thoughts began to sink in at the same time his father walked in.

“Hey buddy, how are you doing?” Ronald asked quietly, just in case Seth’s concern turns into an outburst of having second thoughts to his wedding. He hoped his lowered tone would help influence his son to keep his voice down and not make a scene.

Seth turned to look at his father, his face pale and his eyes wide. “Oh uh, I’m not sure. I think my mind is overthinking a lot of things right now.”

Ronald nodded before closing the door and sitting down next to his only son. “I hear you, but son you have to really think about everything with a clear head at this point. Aishwarya is a good woman, and I have never thought she was anything less than that. Your sister loves her and your mother would have too. Sometimes getting married can be more terrifying than exciting because you are committing your life to someone for life.”

Seth’s brows furrowed. “Actually dad, there is a process called divorce that can shorten a lifetime commitment like a marriage, it’s just expensive and usually ends up with both parties hating one another eternally.”

Ronald rolled his eyes and whacked his son on the chest with the back of his hand. “That’s not what I meant, dumbass! You know how your mother and I felt about marriage and how serious of a commitment it is. I know you celebrity likes to marry every person you fall into bed with and divorce after five minutes, but we taught you better than that.”

Seth nodded with a soft smile. “I know, dad. I do take marriage seriously. I don’t want to be fifty and already have seven ex-wives.”

Ronald turned in his seat so he could face his son. “If you’re serious about this marriage than why do you have that look on your face?”

“What look?” Seth asked honestly, not remembering glancing in the mirror at his reflection and facial expression.

“You had this look of concern or regret on your face before I walked in. That’s why I asked if you’re ok.” Ronald explained, watching his response finally dawn on Seth.

“Oh right, that one.” Seth recalled his earlier discomforts before his father walked in.

“Yeah, that one.”

Seth made a face as he scratched the back of his head. “It’s actually kind of stupid.”

Ronald raised an eyebrow. “I’m your father, so you can tell me.”

Seth let out a groan and covered his face for a second, before sighing and looking at his dad. “Don’t tell my wife ok?”

“I swear.” Ronald promised, his hand over his heart.

Seth sighed again. “Ok well, I wasn’t regretting spending the rest of my life with Aishwarya. I was actually scared of something coming between her and me finally getting married today. This is a dream come true for me, dad, and it’s almost too perfect. I feel like something bad could happen.”

“Like what, son?” Ronald asked, watching his son’s face turn into embarrassment.

“That’s the funny part, dad. I was thinking along the lines of a Mexican drug cartel kidnapping her, or our wedding limo turning into a transformer, or a village of cookie elves destroying our wedding and claiming Aishwarya as their prize! Or a ghost shark could come out of our champagne bottle and kill us both!” Seth exclaimed, his face turning red with embarrassment.

Ronald was staring at his son like he was an idiot. “Are you on crack, son?”

“Strangely enough, no.” Seth agreed, shaking his head.

“You’re just nervous, and it’s fine. But trust me when I tell you that once you see her all of these fears will go away. It won’t matter if these cookie elves are hiding in her bouquet and ready to strike. Nothing will stop this day from being perfect when you see her in that white dress, ready to give the rest of her days to a mental case.” Ronald said, making Seth smile from his insult. He pat his son on his back before standing up.

“Alright, we better get down there. She’s going to be here in thirty minutes. You ready?” Ronald asked his son, smiling with pride when he brushed of his suit and nodded.

“I will be when I see her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Seth