Worlds Apart

Diamond

Seth sat in an expensive leather chair in front of an expensive wooden desk, tapping his hands to the beat of the Family Guy theme song in his head. It felt like hours ago since he last saw the jeweler customizer, François Lemaître, leaving the room to fetch him his surprise for his girlfriend, Aishwarya. God he hopes she loves it, not because it’s painfully expensive but for what it represents. Seth has always been looking for the Mrs. Right and she’s finally arrived. Took her long enough.

Seth laughed to himself before François, or Francie as he calls him, reenter the room with a big black metal box. Seth frowned for a moment, wondering why Francie was bringing him a huge box that was an unnecessary size for Aishwarya surprise present.

Just in case…“Uh, Francie, whats in the box?” Seth asked, staring with a puzzled look between the box and the most renowned jewelry craftsmen of our time.

“Why, it is for your princess Aishwarya .”

“Why in such a big box, though?”

“Security measures. Not to mention that you spent a fortune on this ring. I would be mortified if it got into some crook's hands.” Francie open the box, reached in an provided Seth with his secret gift. A light gold heart with his girlfriend's name etched in the center was placed delicately into the palm of his hand. Seth's face broke into a unbelievable grin, before he began to turn the small box in to different directions.

"Is everything to your liking, Mr. Macfarlane?" The jeweler inquired, watching his customer eyeing the box in his hand.

"Absolutely, Francie you did an amazing job. The font your used to spell her name is so perfectly delicate and adoring. It's just the way I imagined her name the first time I heard it. The gold has such a shine to it too. If she hates the ring she'll LOVE the box, at least."

"Would you like me to open the box for you to view it's craft work, Mr. Macfarlane?" François asked as he slipped on some purple latex gloves. François was extremely serious about his work and handle each ring with equal attention and care. It made all his customers felt like they always left with the perfect ring.

"Yes, sir, I'd love to." Seth reached forward to let the jeweler take back the expensive box to place it on his desk for Seth's viewing pleasures.

"Here is your ring for the future Mr.s Macfarlane." François announced, watching the signature smile spread across his customers face. The jeweler never got tired of seeing the satisfying awe that always bloomed from his customer face.

Sitting the box was Seth's soon-to-be wife's 9 million dollar 20.5 carat diamond ring sitting in a satin bed of white. It was perfect!...or was it? Would Aishwarya like it? Oh man.

François Lemaître noticed Seth biting his lower lip in contempt. Something was bothering him.

"Are you alright, Mr. Macfarlane? You seen unsatisfied with your ring."

Seth pondered for a few seconds before looking to the jeweler for answers, "Do you think she'll like it? I mean, maybe she'll think it's too big. She always says I go over the top for her all the time. What if I did again!?"

François watched him panic a bit before allowing himself to speak, "Mr. Macfarlane, I'm sure she'll love it. It's the same size of Kim Kardashian's ring from Kris Humphries. Women always want better diamond, it's natural for them. I'm sure your love will fall for it the second she sees it."

"I hope so, she's worth more than any carat of diamonds to me. I always try to show her every way I can. Thank you, Mr. François Lemaître! Mr. West was right to recommend you."

They shook hands, placed the box back in the black container, and then parted ways. As Seth made his way to the airport to pick up his girlfriend, he couldn't help but pass worried glances to the trunk from the rear view mirror. He hope she does fall in love with it.

Now all he has to do is figure out when to give it to her.