Beside You

Two.

“Hello?” I answered, trying to sound confident.

“Hey, Tor,” Luke said. I could hear the smile through his voice. “I got your text. Sorry I didn’t text back. We’ve been busy packing all day, because we’re gonna be on a flight home tonight.”

“Tonight? Wow…” I had no idea what to say. I still couldn’t believe he was coming back.

“Yeah, we should be in tomorrow afternoon. I can’t wait to see you.” He said.

A lump caught in my throat. “Me too…” I trailed off as the bell rang and Thomas huddled out of his classroom with about fifteen other kids. “Um…I gotta go.”

“Oh, okay,” Luke sounded disappointed. “Well, I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

“Uh, sure…bye.” I hung up without hearing him say ‘goodbye.’

“Who were you talking to?” Thomas asked. I hadn’t heard him come up behind me.

“Um,” I paused, wondering if I should tell him the truth. “Luke…”

“Oh…” He looked down at his feet. “I miss him. When is he coming back?”

“Tomorrow actually.”

Thomas’ face lit up with joy. “Really? For good?”

“Nah, buddy, he’s only visiting.” I said, putting my arm around his shoulders. “Let’s go home.”

“Do you think he’ll play FIFA with me like before?” He looked up at me with sad eyes. The ‘before’ he was referring to was when we were together. Luke used to come over after school every day and play video games with Thomas. I missed those days. Things were simpler; I was happier.

“I don’t know. Maybe. How about you ask him when he gets here?” I smiled.

“Okay!” He grinned. “Come on, I’ll race you back to the house! Last one there’s a rotten egg!” I rolled my eyes and started to chase after him.

*

Jade came over later that night since it was just gonna be Thomas and I at home. I had to talk to my best friend and get some good advice. We sat next to each other on the couch with some hot cocoa, while Thomas watched Spongebob Squarepants.

“So I’m confused,” Jade said, “You didn’t tell him that you missed him or anything?”

“No. I mean, I do, but I don’t wanna get back together with him. Well, I do, but…ugh.” I sighed dramatically and put my head down.

Jade chuckled, “What is your deal?”

“I don’t wanna get involved with him again when he’s too busy to even have a girlfriend. He doesn’t have time for me. He’s touring the world with his band, doing concerts and interviews and meeting fans.” I explained.

“But—”

“And don’t start with the whole ‘you and Cal’ thing. By some act of God, you guys are still together. Luke and I are different.” I said.

She laughed. “How are you different?”

“I can’t explain it. We just are.”

“You aren’t,” Jade said simply. “I’m not gonna lie. It’s hard work, but if you love each other, you’ll figure it out.”

I looked down at my cocoa and swirled it around with my spoon. “I really do miss him, Jade.”

“I know you do,” She smiled, resting her head on her arm.

“But we haven’t talked in months. Are we even the same people?” I asked.

“Yes. Months are a lot different than years. It’ll probably take some time to break the ice, but it’ll all work out. Trust me.”

“See, this is why you’re my best friend,” I said and leaned over to give her a hug.

“Really? I thought it was because I’m so hot.” She teased.

“Because you are.” Thomas piped up. Jade gave me a wide-eyed look, and her and I busted up laughing.

*

The minutes ticked by slower and slower it seemed. My last class of the day was math, a subject I had been failing ever since Luke left. He had been my tutor, although we did more than that when he was over at my house. Sometimes his mom would even try teaching me; she was a math instructor after all. A buzz came from my pocket. The message was from Jade. Meet me at my house after school. The guys just landed a few minutes ago :) My stomach turned to knots immediately, making it hard to sit still. My mind reverted back to the day before he left.

Tears streaked my face as I balled up in the corner of my bedroom. My chest felt tight. I hugged my knees close to my body. I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t say ‘goodbye.’ Not again.

“Tori? Are you okay?” Mum asked as she knocked on my door. She didn’t understand. She thought we were silly kids infatuated with each other. I heard whispering and then silence.

The faint sound of an acoustic guitar began to play. It sounded like it was slowly coming closer to my room. Then he started to sing: “Within a minute I was all packed up, I’ve got a ticket to another world. I don’t wanna go, I don’t wanna go.”

A small smile tugged at my lips as he went on. I wanted to be upset, but his voice was intoxicating. Still, the tears slid down my cheeks.

He continued. “When we both fall asleep underneath the same sky to the beat of our hearts at the same time, so close but so far away. Can you hear me?”

I picked myself up and approached the door as he strummed my heartstrings. When I opened it, he smirked and started the chorus. “She sleeps alone. My heart wants to come home. I wish I was, I wish I was beside you. She lies awake. I’m trying to find the words to say. I wish I was, I wish I was beside you.” He entered my room as he looked down at his guitar, walking toward the front of my bed. I followed him and sat down, not being able to take my eyes off of him.

“Another day and I’m somewhere new. I made a promise that I’ll come home soon. Bring me back, bring me back to you. When we both wake up underneath the same sun, time stops; I wish that I could rewind. So close but so far away.” He serenaded me with such emotion. It made my heart ache. I sat cross-legged on the edge of my bed with a tear-stained face as I listened to the chorus again.

He closed his eyes and then looked at the floor as he began to sing the bridge. “The pieces of us both under every city light, and they’re shining as we fade into the night…she sleeps alone. My heart wants to come home. I wish I was, I wish I was…” I could tell he was getting choked up, because he wouldn’t look at me.

My eyes started to water again. I got up and wrapped my arms around him. “Beside you.” He whispered and brushed his lips against my cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello to my 6 new subscribers :) yay! That makes me so happy that you guys took a chance and wanted to read my crap. I really appreciate it. I apologize that this chapter is a bit shorter. I hope you still like it. If you did, tell me in the comments!!

Side note: I feel like when I read some 5SOS fanfiction, people make Luke a lot "harder" than he seems in interviews and other videos? In the last few stories I read, he kinda seemed like an asshole. Maybe it's just me, but I see Luke as a really sweet, awkward, and shy guy that likes to laugh and joke around with his best friends. At least that's how I picture him in my head when I'm writing. I guess some people like dickhead Luke, but this story won't have any of that. (There will still be drama, don't worry.) Hopefully that's okay with you guys. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me? Haha, please tell me in the comments or message me.

Thank you for reading!!!