Sequel: Dark on Me
Status: Finished. Sequel in the works

Space Enough to Grow

Snow

I carefully got out of bed, very carefully so I wouldn't wake a sleeping Kade. He had a tough time going to sleep last night because he kept getting sick. After 15 trips to the bathroom and 15 teeth brushes and 8 changes of clothes, he was finally feeling better enough to go to sleep. We were both up for awhile but he needed the sleep more than I do. He's a pregnant human and I'm a vampire.

Even though I'm still exhausted I had to get up anyway. I called a very important meeting a few days ago that was scheduled for today. Right after Austin and I's conversation 5 days prior, I immediately began to take action. First by setting up a meeting with my guys to make sure no one has flapped their lips. Then we are gonna try and figure out a plan to keep Kade and our baby safe and keep this whole thing off the grid. Which was gonna be nearly impossible now that people are already hearing rumors about a hybrid being born. We'll just have to go from there and see what all there is to be done.

I moved towards the closet quietly after lighting a few candles on the walls and closed the curtains to keep the room dark. I didn't want Kade to wake up for awhile. At least until the meeting is over. I still have no idea how I'm going to tell him all of this. He's pregnant for Satan's sake. He could go into early labor from all the shock. He doesn't need any stress. Austin has made that very clear to me. Kade needs to be in top shape if he's gonna do this. That's another thing to worry about. If we do keep this off the radar and Kade delivers the baby, what if he dies? How are we gonna save him? I can't take care of a child. I don't want to. I'm not father material. My own father pretty much beat that out of me. If I become a dad, I'll be just like him. Maybe worse...But I don't have a choice...I can't abandon Kade. Something inside me is preventing me from even thinking about leaving him on his own. Whatever it is, I hate it.

This whole situation is fucked right up

I sifted through a few of my suits, shaking the thoughts away. I finally decided on just a black suit. I was still tired and really didn't feel like doing anything elegant or elaborate. Quietly I grabbed the suit and closed my closet doors. I glanced back at Kade who was sleeping soundly. He had bags under his eyes from lack of sleep. I sighed and shook my head before walking towards the bathroom. I gently closed the door and lit some more candles. I didn't want any light at all today. I wish it was still dark outside so I could go back to sleep and escape reality for awhile. But that wasn't possible right now.

I sat my clothes on the bench before stripping off my worn night clothes. I tossed them in the hamper before turning the water on and letting the bathroom steam up. I wiped off any access make up I had on because I didn't bother taking it off last night. I was way too tired to do anything. After successfully removing all traces, I pulled back the black curtain and stepped into the shower. I sighed in content as the hot spray relaxed my tensed up body. So many things going on and its starting to take its toll on me. Better on me than on Kade and our baby, lord knows what that would do to them.

I grabbed my conditioner and began to massage it through my scalp. Everything just felt so tense so I was taking everything so slow. But I have to be dressed and ready for this meeting. They should be arriving fairly soon. I rinsed my hair out before grabbing my body wash.

I finished up quickly and turned the shower off and stepped out the tub carefully. I grabbed a towel and began to wipe my body off thoroughly until I was dried enough. I folded the towel up and grabbed my boxers and pulled them up my legs. After getting carefully dressed in my suit, I got out my make up for today. I was already pale so foundation was out of the question. I didn't need to look completely dead. Instead I started by drawing my eyebrows on in sharp defined lines. Nothing special. Then I applied black eyeshadow around my eyes completely and added a dash of blood red on the edges. I put my make up away before plugging in my straightener. While it was heating up, I quietly walked out into my room and sat down on the bed, pulling on my socks and shoes. I looked down to see Snow trotting into the room, his fluffy tail waving in the air like a flag. He looked at me for a moment, asking for permission. I nodded and he proceeded to jump on the bed and crawl over Kade before laying down and getting comfortable by his stomach. Kade stayed perfectly still. Only sounds he made were his soft almost inaudible snores and his steady heart beat. I got up and walked back into the bathroom where I straightened my hair. After finishing my hair, I blew out the candles and closed the bathroom door. I also blew out the candles in my room before grabbing my cellphone and walking down the hallway. I let out a yawn as I made my way towards the kitchen. I poured myself a glass of blood. Fuck coffee today. I sat at the island bar, sipping on my drink. I was trying to keep my mind off of everything at least until the meeting but it wasn't really working for me.

Everything was just spiraling downward and I really did not know if I had control over the situation. I'm so used to feeling in control and having a handle on things but right now, I feel so vulnerable. So many ways this thing could be fixed. Kill Kade, abort the baby, kill anyone that knows and kill anyone who finds out. I can tell you everything thats wrong with all of that. I can't kill Kade because I really don't want to. I like having him around and its not really his fault. It wouldn't be justifiable and that's not my style. Abort the baby. Kade would shove a stake through my heart before I could do that and I'm not a doctor so I wouldn't know how anyway. Austin wouldn't do it without Kade's consent so that's gone to hell. Kill everyone who knows means killing my entire clan and my friends which I would never do. That's out the question. Which leads us to the last option that's possible but tough. I could kill everyone that finds out but it depends on how many people because I'm one of the strongest but I need my rest and it would be too time consuming. It seemed to be the only plausible and possible solution. Hopefully my guys kept their big ass mouths shut.

Just as I finished my blood, there was a knock on the door. I got up and bolted towards the door at inhuman speed. I opened the door and was greeted by Ricky and Ryan.

"How's Kade doing?" Ryan asked as I led them into the kitchen for a drink.

"Exhausted. He hasn't been getting a lot of sleep. Either he's sick or he's having nightmares" I said as I grabbed two glasses and poured them some O negative.

"That seems like a lot for one person to go through" Ricky commented and I nodded, pushing their glasses towards them.

"Its a lot for me and I'm not the pregnant one. It still rolls of my tongue so weirdly" I added and Ryan smiled a little.

"So what's this meeting about?"

"You'll find out when the others get here and the meeting begins" I hinted sarcastically and Rick rolled his eyes before taking a sip. Just then Snow pranced into the kitchen and hopped up on the table. He strutted over to me and began to meow and brush against my arm.

"What is it Snow?" I asked the kitten and he meowed in response.

"Since when do you talk to cats?" Ryan laughed and I flipped him off.

"Since you talk to your dog. Shut the fuck up" I shot back as I scratched behind Snow's ears. But he just kept meowing in a more urgent manner. Before I could do anything, the door bell rang and we all got up.

"Go upstairs with Kade and watch him Snow" I said to the kitten. He meowed in protest but scurried off when I gave him a look. We have a very weird but firm relationship.

Ricky, Ryan and I went to answer the door. Devin, Angelo, Balz and Tj were standing there. I motioned for them to enter and together we walked up the stairs.

"Keep it quiet. Kade is resting and I don't want him to be disturbed" I said in a hushed tone. I led them down the long hallway towards my study. I pulled out the key and unlocked the door, pushing it open. It was a big room but also clustered due to my desk, table for meetings, endless bookshelves and fireplace. It made the room seem smaller but comfortable. I walked to the head of the table and sat down as everyone else took their seats. I folded my hands under my chin and rested my elbows on the table.

"So what's going on Chris?" Devin asked in a business like voice. Anyone who enters this room knows that this is a no bullshit place. We get down to it.

"As you know...Kade is pregnant. And upon that finding, complications are rising" I answered Devin and the room became tense and stiff.

"What complications?" Angelo asked hastily.

"Well besides that Kade could die while giving birth. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it"

"He still wants to carry the child even after hearing that?" Ricky interjected in a shocked voice and I nodded solemnly.

"Yes but that's not our pressing matter. As you may know, the clans are going through a power struggle. Ever since the collapse of the Imperial Council, vampires have had free reign. All was well but some believe we need leadership. Hence the power struggle" I explained to them.

"We don't need another council. But even if we did, no clan has enough power to control the entire race. War would break out over political issues and power, thus dividing us even more!" Devin snapped and I nodded in agreement as did everyone else. Devin was 100% right.

"They can't do this Chris. We can't let them ruin our happiness. Our race has never been more happier" Ryan added.

"I know Ry. Which leads me to what's next. We all know that no clan has the power to tip the scale in their favor and win the struggle. But Austin did some digging and found out a few things" I began.

"Found out what?" Balz asked anxiously.

"Hybrids. Hybrids are the key. A hybrid just as a half human is no danger. They just have more human advantages than we do. But when turned into a full vampire, they are more powerful than just any clan or any vampire. The Imperial Council had any hybrid destroyed before anyone could think of turning them into a full vampire" I announced and shock was filling the room like smoke.

"How come we have never heard of this??! How dare the council hide that information!!!" Angelo was outraged. He used to serve for the council but left due to personality differences and clashes. Everyone was on high alert at this point and before I could speak the other part, Devin beat me to it.

"The baby...."He whispered and everyone grew quiet as they looked at Devin. But Devin looked at me with fearful eyes. I nodded to confirm his suspicions.

"My child will be the first born hybrid in nearly 300 years. Whoever finds out about the child, will try to use it to end the power struggle and rule over us" I announced and Devin covered his mouth.

"No. No that's not going to happen Chris" Ricky said in a decided tone. Out the corner of my eye I saw Snow prancing over to the window and hopping onto the ledge. He looked out the window as if he was searching for something. I reverted my attention back to the meeting.

"I know. Which is why I need to know if you guys have told anyone anything about Kade's pregnancy" I said and received a chorus of no's. Even Tj said no.

"It needs to stay that way. We need to keep this off the radar because word travels very fast. Rumors have already gone around about a hybrid child according to Austin. Keep a low profile and if anyone even hints about knowing something, get rid of them immediately. Knowing you guys, that shouldn't be a problem." I smirked at the end and heard malicious chuckles. But then I grew serious.

"It is our obligation to keep Kade and my child safe" I said in a calmer and serious tone. Just then Snow began to paw at the window and meow loudly. I stood up and walked over to him.

"Snow what is it now?" I asked and went to pick him up. As I leaned down, I looked where he was pawing at and noticed rustling in the trees. I squinted my eyes and noticed a distinct figured watching from afar. Anger flared up inside me as I flashed my fangs. Immediately I flashed outside towards the back. The second the figure saw me, it began to run at inhuman speed. So it's a vampire........ Perfect

I ran at my fastest, gaining momentum as I whipped past the thick forest like lightening. I could hear numerous sets of footsteps behind me but I remained focused on the person in front of me. It had long orange and reddish hair that was flying in the wind. My feet barely touched the ground as I was getting closer to the intruder. I did a mental countdown before launching myself into the air like a bullet. I made instant contact with the stranger and it let out a terrified scream....she let out a terrified scream. We crashed to the ground and rolled in the dirt. I got to my feet instantly and bared my fangs at the small girl in the dirt.

"Who sent you?" I growled at her menacingly. She looked up at me, terrified because she had been caught so easily. The girl stayed silent as she stared at me. Irritated by her lack of cooperation, I stalked towards her and grabbed her neck. She let out a choked scream and began to claw at my arm.

"I'm gonna ask you again and this time you better fucking answer before I rip your god damn heart out! WHO SENT YOU!" I screamed.

"A-ash!!!!" She screamed back at me and I tightened my grip on her neck. My guys arrived seconds later.

"Rick and Devin go back to the house and watch Kade now!!" I commanded and they nodded before running off. I threw the girl to the ground and began to walk around her.

"Why did that bitch send you?" I asked in an eerily calm voice. She had tears coming down her cheeks as he curled up in the dirt.

"She said to watch you and nothing else! I followed my orders!" She yelled at me. As if I need anymore fucking problems.

"She just gave you a death sentence" I growled and the girl began to scream in protest.

"Get rid of her. She must have heard our entire conversation" Angelo said to me and the rest nodded in hasty agreement.

"I won't tell her I swear!!! I SWEAR!!!" The girl screamed as Angelo and Ryan grabbed the girl by her arms and forced her on her knees. I grabbed a handful of her hair and gripped it tightly

"I don't trust women" I smirked before jerking my hand. In one swift movement her head became detached from her body and blood squirted out instantly. I turned and tossed the head to Balz who caught in easily.

"Send that to Ash and try not to eat it" I winked at him before bolting towards home. I met Ricky and Devin on the porch where they stood on guard.

"I want you guys here at all times. Get your stuff and bring it here. I don't want Kade alone for a second. Are we clear?" I commanded and received nods from everyone. I tried to calm down as I went into the house and went upstairs to see that Kade was still sleeping soundly. I sighed in relief and calmed down just a little.

I kicked my shoes off and took off my suit jacket before climbing into bed next to Kade. He stirred a little bit before turning and snuggling into my chest. I let out a sigh before wrapping my arms carefully around his body. I yawned a little and kissed Kade's head. I needed to escape reality before I kill someone else. Can't believe that bitch actually had the nerve to send someone to spy on me. She obviously has a deathwish because I'm going to fucking torture her the second the opportunity arises. Why she sent the spy was beyond me and I planned on finding out. But now wasn't the time. Kade needs me. I have to protect him.

I looked down at his sleeping face and sighed.

"No matter what...I'll always keep you safe" I whispered before kissing his cheek. He wiggled a little and snuggled closer to me. I smiled a little and held him tight.

Snow hopped up on the bed and laid next to Kade. I looked at the kitten and smiled.

"You were warning me weren't you Snow?" I said quickly and the kitten wagged his tail in response. I chuckled at him.

"Thanks Snow. I owe you some catnip later" I promised him.

"Meow!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Who else notices the change in Chris? Its slow but it's there :)

Anywho I'm doing a recommendation. Unnamed by ColorblndKalidescope. Its an awesome story. Gaige and Emmett are like one of the cutest couples ever! Read it! Its a personal favorite of mine ♡
Unnamed