Sequel: Dark on Me
Status: Finished. Sequel in the works

Space Enough to Grow

Last Breath

I looked up at Chris as he stood up suddenly, and was handing Alexander to me. I took him in my arms quickly but gently.

"Alan take Kade upstairs and keep him there until Austin and I get back!" He snapped at Alan who jumped slightly before standing up and coming over to me. I gave Chris a questioning glance as I took Alan's hand. I had no time to ask Chris what was going on because Alan was already pulling me towards the steps, with Snow trailing closely behind us. We were already at halfway up the staircase as I heard Chris and Austin talking. I could not make out any words because their voices were already too far away and had become faint.

"Alan what is going on??" I asked as he pulled me down the hallway towards Chris and I's bedroom. I kept a tight hold on Alexander who was still snoozing soundlessly, unaffected by the events that were unfolding.

"To be honest Kade...I don't even know exactly. I just know to listen to Chris" Alan answered me in a near breathless voice. We reached the bedroom and I walked over to the bed, laying Alexander against the pillows just as Alan closed and locked the door. I made sure Alexander was in a comfortable position before turning to Alan who was now at the window and was watching the outside, with his arms crossed. His body was tensed and on guard.

"Alan?" I called to him but he did not answer me. I raised an eyebrow and waiting for a response from the rigid ginger but he said nothing, only looked outside. Searching for something. I grew impatient very quickly.

"Earth to Alan!!" I shouted and he jumped out of whatever trance he was in and turned to me with wide questioning eyes. My shouting must have frightened him.

"What?" He said simply and I tilted my head in a deadpan manner.

"What is going on? What are you looking for?" I asked him and he shook his head slightly and shrugged.

"Nothing" His answer did not satisfy me because I knew he knew something. Everybody knows something. They have all been acting so sketchy and shady for months.

"You're lying" I narrowed my eyes and he tensed even more.

"I am not!"

"You are too! Why does everyone think I'm in idiot?!?! I know there has been something going for the past few months! Just because I was pregnant doesn't mean I went stupid! What the hell is going on!?" He was silenced by my sudden and very angry outburst. I was fuming by this point. I think I have been kept in the dark long enough.

"Kade...please. If Chris hasn't told you then it isn't my place to tell you" His demeanor had changed to one of pleading instead of tensed. I calmed slightly but not enough to stop my questioning.

"Okay then why have I been kept in the dark for so long? Don't you think I have a right to know?"

"Yes you do! But Chris wanted to wait to tell you bec-" He was cut off suddenly but a crash downstairs that echoed throughout the house. We both looked at the door before looking at each other. My heart began to take off in my chest as we heard footsteps walking around downstairs. The house was completely empty and quiet despite Alan and I talking. So the footsteps were loud. Alan raised his finger to his lips as a symbol of silence before walking slowly towards the door, very stealth like. I did the same but instead I walked over to Alexander and carefully picked up his sleeping body.

My ears weren't as advanced as Alan's so I couldn't hear what he was hearing. But whatever is was, wasn't good. He ghosted over to me and covered my mouth before I could let out a gasp of fright.

"Go into the closet and stay there" He whispered nearly inaudible in my ear. I nodded quickly as he pulled away from me. I could tell that he was scared because we had idea who was downstairs walking around in my house. Obviously it wasn't Chris and Austin because he wouldn't be acting this way. But he was holding his ground and keeping his guard up for Alexander and I. I felt eternally grateful for him.

Following his directions, I carefully tip toed over to the massive closet. Thankfully the door was already opened and I was just able to walk in. Alan then came over to me and took a deep shaky breath.

"I'm going to try to distract them. When I do, I need you to run as fast as you can and go look for Chris. Don't you stop for anything. Do you hear me!?" Alan whisper shouted at me and I looked at him with wide eyes. He couldn't be serious. What if something happens to him?!

"But-" He covered my mouth and shook his head, sighing.

"No more questions...no more talking" He whispered to me, softer this time and I closed my eyes, sighing in defeat. I tried to keep my tears inside my body for the sake of both of us. Alan placed a kiss on my head before placing one on Alexander's head.

I watched in hurt as he walked away from me and went to the door, putting his hand around the knob. There was no one here to help him. Chris and Austin were off doing lord knows what and I was just a human. What could I possibly do against however many vampires there were? Alan was on his own and it was killing me. Anything could happen to him. I just felt totally useless

Alan took another deep breath before opening the door. The closet was diagonal from the door but it was wide enough so that I could see him. He walked out into the hallway and to my shock, he picked up a vase and threw it down the hallway. It landed on the marble floor with a deafening crash. I jumped and covered my mouth in fear. Just as it crashed, he disappeared from the hallway like lightening. I blinked because it was so fast and I had no idea where he had went. I hit deeper in the closet though, as I heard multiple footsteps running up the stairs and down the hallway. The steps stopped about halfway and my heart stopped in my chest. What the hell was Alan doing???!! He was leading them straight up here!!

"Well there's no ghost so how the hell did it end up on the floor Kyle?!" A deep male voice boomed and it caught me off guard.

"I don't know man bu-" There was another crash..this time it came from downstairs. I was really confused by Alan's actions but didn't dwell on it. I trusted his judgement and kept quiet.

"You, you and you! Go see what that was! You three stay with me!" The same voice commanded and immediately I heard the footsteps retreating away and going towards the stairs. Maybe Alan was trying to split them up??

My thoughts were interrupted as the voices got louder and I began to panic. I started to look around and saw that one of Chris's stakes was sitting a few feet away. It was my only defense right now so without hesitation, I grabbed it, keeping a hold on Alexander.

"Smell that?" Another voice said, it was female this time. It was almost like a laugh. Her voice was a chime.

"It's human...he's close" The male responded and my stomach dropped. This was it.. There was no getting out of this...but I can't go down. Not without a fight.

As quietly as I possibly could, I wrapped Alexander in his baby blanket and rested him on a pile of Chris and I's laundry that I didn't get to. I wiped my tears away and looked at his sleeping face, before kissing his delicate cheeks.

"I love you.." I whispered against his cheek before crawling back towards the door, feeling my heart race and ache. I could hear them in the bedroom now. They were walking around, looking for me. I got up on my feet but stayed crouched, the stake in my hand. I braced myself as footsteps approached the closet. I heard the doorknob turning...

The person paused as there was another crash coming from downstairs and what sounded like a struggle. Was it Alan? Chris?.

"Go go go!!!!" The vampire shouted at his peers. I could hear them running away but this man stayed behind, not moving from the door. Well now it's a even playing field...sort of.

The closet door opened wide..

With a screech, I jumped at the man with the stake held high but he caught my wrist with a surprised expression. But he recovered from his confusion and glared down at me...he looked to be Hispanic with long black flowing hair. He would have been beautiful but the glare on his face made him seem ugly and vicious.

"Where is the child!?" He growled at me and tightened his grip on my wrist. I whimpered as the stake dropped from my hand but I stayed silent, keeping up my facade. I refused to answer and this angered him immensely. I let out a terrfied gasp as he launched me across the room, my body sliding across the marble floor. Pain exploded in my body as I smacked the sharpest corner of the wall. I let out a hurtful scream as I felt blood pouring out the back of my head.

"Where is the child!!!" He screamed at me again and stalked towards me, I struggled to get up as I started to feel dizzy and weakened. I held my head as I barely made it onto my knees. Tears were pouring out of my eyes from the unbearable pain and the sense of danger and fear that was inside me. And to my ultimate horror, Alexander began to whimper from the closet. My eyes widened because if I heard it, then he surely did.

As if to confirm my thoughts, he smirked at me.

"In the closet huh? How cliche.."The man shook his head in disapproval before turning away from me.

"No...stay away from him!"I cried as I crawled towards him in a slow fashion. My vision was starting to blacken and my muscles were becoming useless. I was loosing too much blood

"There you are..."He cooed as he approached the closet doors. "Well aren't you adorable!" At his words, Alexander began to wail loudly. I gritted my teeth and got up on my feet, grabbing the stake from the floor.

With all the strength I had inside of me, which wasn't much at all. I charged at him fullforce.

"DON'T YOU TOUCH HIM!!!!" I screamed bloody murder at him as I jumped on his back. He began to struggle, dancing around the room in an a feeble attempt to get me off. Keeping my grip tight, I repeatedly stabbed him in his chest with the stake, not even caring if I missed his heart. I had to keep him away from Alexander!!! He was screaming in agony as the stake impaled him over and over.

But my muscles became to weakened and I fell to the floor, losing my grip. My vision became cloudy and distorted, the dizziness becoming too much. The stake rolled away from me and I was struggling to keep my eyes open. I was close to passing out and no matter how hard I tried to fight it, the blackness always overpowered me.

"You're going to pay for the that!!!!" The man was outraged and his fangs were on full display. But my barely conscious self could hardly process anything. I had to get up to protect my baby...but I couldn't. His cries were echoing in my ears and my heart but I just couldn't move my body. My breath was becoming shallow and it was getting harder and harder to breathe. I was slipping away too fast.. My eyes began to close and in my heart I knew...

This was it

The last thing I saw was the man flying away from me through the air but I blacked out too soon...