Sequel: Dark on Me
Status: Finished. Sequel in the works

Space Enough to Grow

Extraordinary

Shayley called only a few days after our first meet in years. It was about 5 days to be exact. I was honestly shocked to get a call from him so soon. I knew he was good, but not that good. Although this could be about something completely different. All I know is that he's coming over today to discuss whatever he wanted to discuss. He sounded a little urgent over the phone but otherwise he was calm. I just noticed the urgency because I'm very observant. To anyone else, he would have been totally normal.

I told Austin the night before, after Shayley had called. Austin was a little..doubtful of the situation. Although Austin has moved on, he still hasn't forgiven Shayley for hid misdeed. They didn't part on very good terms after years of trying to build a non existent friendship. I understand Austin's concern. I really do and I hate to bring Shay into this but for Devin's sake, it has to be done. Austin and Shay may not be friends, but I am friends with Shay and I do trust him. He's our only outside link in this whole thing considering the rest of the vampires are after us. In other words, Austin was going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

Alan didn't really care. If anything, he was on my side with this. And that was awesome because Austin does anything Alan wants or says without hesitation. So Austin was on his own this time. Let's just hope things go smoothly.

I made sure to tell Kade about Shay's visit last night before we went to bed. I had learned my lesson the last time. Just tell him everything, no matter how good or how bad it might be. Just tell him the truth. He didn't say much about it. He just wanted to know that I was sure about what I was doing, which I replied a yes with. It was the most we've said to each other in says which was shocking but the good type of shocking.

So far everyone was on board and was eagerly awaiting Shay's arrival. Maybe it would be one step closer to finding Devin..alive that is.
~~~~~~~

I decided to let Kade sleep in today when Alexander started to get a little fussy. I heard it long before Kade did so I rushed to his room to see what the problem was. He needed a diaper change and was hungry. I hated changing his diapers but oh well, it's apart of parenthood. It was nearing 8 in the morning so I just decided to stay up because I had to get up soon anyway and plus, Alexander wasn't going back to sleep.

After putting a fresh diaper on him and getting his bottle, I sat him on his play mat and let him drink his bottle himself. Alexander was changing so much and growing so quickly. In just a short amount of time, he's already crawling and he's already able to hold his bottle and feed himself. He already has a few teeth growing in and he's barely surpassed a month old. It was extraordinary. It's nothing I have seen before or ever experienced before. I can imagine the shock years ago when hybrids were first introduced. The mysterious nature of these creatures. They were as human as possible but also as vampiric as possible. It's hard to comprehend when you've seen human babies grow. It's so slow and gradual. But with Alexander, the progress is amazing. It makes me wonder how much he will grow and if he will be immortal like us...or will he grow to be old and die???

My heart stilled in my chest as I made the realization. My mouth was slightly agape as I stared at Alexander drinking his bottle with one hand and playing with a toy truck in the other.

I didn't even think about this..

Alexander is growing so quickly because he is part vampire..but how far does that vampirism go? He changes. Vampires don't change. We stay the same the second we are turned. We never age, we never change, we can never grow old and die...But Alexander ages everyday. How long would we have with him? How long would it be until my lose my only son? Do we have to turn him into a full vampire to save his life? Or will he stop aging at some point?

I did not have the answers to those heartbreaking questions. But I had to find them out. At this rate, Alexander was growing too quickly and time was running out.

Just as Alexander looked at me, I changed my facial expression from one of horror, to one of calm and near expressionless. His blue eyes peered at me and I smiled sweetly back at him, despite the cracking armor that was buried beneath my facade. He gave me a toothy smile that melted the tension away from my body. I let out a fond chuckle before getting off my chair and sitting on his giant mat with him. Alexander let out an excited giggle before climbing on my lap.

"You are just too cute!" I gushed to him before picking his little body up. Laying back, I lifted him into the air, causing him to laugh more. His laugh was literally the sweetest music to my ears. Bending my arms so we were face to face, I gave him a sweet kiss before throwing him in the air. The smile on his face and the excitement in his eyes was too hard to miss. Alexander landed back into my hands and by that point we were both laughing hysterically. Nothing could ever compare to this moment that I was sharing with him.

"Okay we'll do it one more time!" I laughed before once again launching him in the air straight up. He came back down to my hands and I rolled over, giving him kisses all over his face. His giggles were near breathless but so full of happiness and excitement that it made everything we were going through, so much more worth it. Alexander is worth this fight. And I will come out victorious.

His little hands cupped my cheeks as he peered up at me. I smiled and rubbed our noses together in a cliche Eskimo kiss.

"I think that's the cutest moment I've ever seen..." Alexander and I both looked towards the doorway to see Kade standing there with a small smile. It was good to see a smile on his face instead of the emotionless expression he's held for such a long time.

"Only because Alexander is too cute to resist" I answered him before sitting up. Alexander rolled his little body on his stomach with just a small struggle and began to crawl towards Kade. I grimaced playfully.

"Well thanks Alexander. You only want me for my kisses" Kade let out a small laugh before picking up the baby at his feet.

"No bond like a child and it's mother"

"Oh so you admit you're a female? I'm glad we've established that" I clapped sarcastically with a smirk and Kade rolled his eyes.

"I'm such a female that you couldn't keep your hands off me for more than a second. Last time I checked, you were gay" He shot back at me and I winked at him. It was good to be able to talk to him and to feel so relaxed. It's been so tense and dark between us that this was a breath of fresh air. Maybe Alan's words were really getting through to him. The thought made me smile to myself.

"Has he eaten?" Kade asked me and I nodded while standing up. I stretched out my limbs just as I walked over to Kade and Alexander. I placed a kiss on Kade's head and headed towards our room for a shower.
•••

After my shower, Kade decided to take a bath with Alexander which I left them too. Everyone was coming over. Austin's clan, my clan and Shayley. We needed to discuss our course of action. What we need to do to find Devin and what we need to do to protect Kade. So today will be a mostly business like day.

As I finished the last button on my silk red shirt, the doorbell rang. I quickly made my way downstairs to the door. I opened it to be greeted by Angelo, Tj, Ricky, Ryan, Josh and Shayley, suprisingly.

"We pulled up at the same time." Shayley answered with a smile. He must have noticed my puzzled expression. I nodded in understanding before letting them all in. As the rest went to the living room, Shayley was looking around the house with admiration. I felt a sense of pride. I always make sure my home is top notch and envy worthy.

"Damn Chris...your last house was way smaller than this" Shay said to me and I smirked. Indeed my last house was way smaller due to money issues. Back then, money was harder to come by and wasn't as valuable as it is today. So my home was grand yes, but this one screamed luxurious.

"You know me..always have to be the best" I answered and we both laughed as we made our way into the living room.

"So what's this meeting all about?" Ricky asked. I looked at him before glancing at Angelo. Immediately my heart wrenched. He looked so...disheveled and like a total mess. His eyes were bloodshot, his hair looked to be tangled, his skin was paler than a ghost. His face was a permenent uneasy look. He was really going down the drain without Devin. Constantly worrying where he was, wondering if he's okay or if he's alive. None of us could relate to Angelo. Just be there for him and to help as much as possible.

"Rumors have been silent but..not silent enough for me" Shay started as he sat down next to me.

"Rumors about what???" Angelo asked hastily. I crossed my legs and waited for Shayley to speak.

"The baby of course...a storm is brewing gentlemen. Ties are being made, alliances are being formed" That just depleted the entire mood. Now I know for sure it's going to be one hell of a ride.

"Why all of this??" Said Ryan and all attention turned to him. I tilted my head as a symbol for him to explain.

"I mean...why all of this for one baby? There has to be more than one hybrid among us. There has to be. And even if there isn't, why are people risking their lives over this?" Ryan had good questions and that Shay apparently had the answer to, by the smirk on his face.

"Because its Chris's baby. That's why" I looked at him quickly, raising an eyebrow.

"What the fuck is so special about me?" Why does everything have to happen to me anyway? I'm nothing special so why does everyone have to fuck with me? All my life it's always been someone coming after me or someone trying to kill me. It's part of the reason why my father pushed me so damn hard to the limits. To grow stronger and be able to defeat my enemies.

"Because Chris..."Shay stood up and paced as he spoke. "You come from a long line of powerful vampires. The Cerulli's are amongst the first families. The top level. The strongest. Your son will inherit that power, that strength. Anyone would kill to have a Cerulli on their side. Alexander is a Cerulli and a hybrid? You've got a hurricane heading your way" I sighed and leaned my head back. Slapping my hand over my face and dragging it down. So because I come from a evil family, my son has to pay for it? How is that fair in the slightest?

"The price to pay for being strong.."I know that voice anywhere. It was Austin. He must have arrived even do I didn't hear him come in. I was lost in my own damn thoughts.

"Austin.." Shay spoke in a mixture of disbelief and calm.

"Shayley..it's been awhile" Austin was eerily calm and collect. I opened one eye and looked at them, Shayley in the middle of the floor and Austin in the doorway. They were a considerable about of feet away from each other but you could see the tension in the air. Alan stood beside Austin with a slightly worried expression. Alan knows of the past between the two so he was probably worrying about Austin. As I said before, they didn't part on good terms.

"Yes I know..how are you?" Shayley spoke in the tense silence. No one made a sound or moved an inch. It was like the reunion we've all been waiting for. Austin's eyes narrowed slightly and he crossed his arms. I could not tell what he was feeling in this moment. Right now, he was guarded. No expression on his face.

"We aren't here for me. This is about Devin and Alexander...so let's get down to it" Austin shot Shayley down with a missile before walking over and taking a seat next to me, Alan trailing behind him closely. The rest of the guys filed in and we all sat in silence for just a few minutes. I looked at Shay and he did not look discouraged by Austin's actions. He had a look of understanding. Well he did screw another guy while he was still with Austin so what did Shay expect? I just rolled my eyes and sat up straight.

"Devin's safety right now is the priority. Alexander is very much safe with all of us here right now, so we need to focus on Devin. Angelo...when was the last time you saw him?" I addressed Angelo who looked at me with wide doe like eyes.

"It was normal..we spent the day together like we usually do. Nothing was out of the ordinary...Well.." Angelo trailed off and had a thoughtful look on his face. "That night he did say he had a lead to follow up on..I asked him if he wanted me to come with him but he said no..I-i-i should have went anyway.."Angelo looked down at his shaking hands with tears falling onto the floor. The guilt was very evident in his voice and it made my stomach drop. Ricky attempted to comfort Angelo while we took all that in. But what Angelo said, had me thinking outside the box. He said that Devin was following up on a lead...Was Devin onto something? Did he know something he wasn't supposed to? And if so..what was it? If he did know something, he wasn't supposed to know it and someone made sure he wouldn't flap his lips. Someone does not want us to find him. He knows something and whatever it is, is worth killing for to keep it in the shadows.

Before I could think some more, I heard footsteps coming down the steps. They were light and very graceful. I knew it was Kade. I looked at everyone before getting up and walking towards the main entrance where Kade was descending, Alexander on his hip.

"Is everyone here?" He asked me and I nodded before taking his hand in mine and leading him into the living room. Everyone had resorted to their own conversation. The room was filled with very quiet talk.

"Kade..this is Shayley" I introduced them as Shayley came up to us. Shay held his hand out to Kade and Kade shook it politely with a small smile.

"I've heard so much about you Kade..It's very nice to meet you" Shayley was very diplomatic and gentle with his words. Alexander gazed at Shay in wonder and curiosity.

"Likewise Shayley" Kade answered just as polite. Alexander made a small sound before reaching for Shayley. I was very curious of Alexander's actions. Shayley looked down at the small child with an excited and indulging smile before lifting his finger to Alexander's out reached hand. His hands were so small so a finger of an adult was his limit. Alexander wrapped his little fingers around Shayley's. The second it happened, Shayley's entire body tensed up and jolted as if he was struck by lightening. The entire room grew quiet and I looked at Kade just as he looked at me. Out the corner of my eye, the lights dimmed briefly before going back to normal. I looked around the room in curiosity of why that just happened, everyone sharing my actions. I looked at Shay and noticed he was even more tense than before.

"Shay are you-" I started it but he cut me off.

"Shhhh..." Shay hushed me as he stared at Alexander with wide questioning eyes. I was utterly confused just like everyone else was. The exchange between Shay and Alexander was very confusing and the desire to know was floating around the room like smoke. Austin was watching Shay specifically. It was a guarded watch. He was monitoring the exchange, making sure Shayley wasn't up to any misdeeds. He did not trust Shay and a very small part of me didn't either. Shay had said it himself, trust no one. I trust Shayley with my life, but not Alexander's. But I kept those thoughts to myself.

"Chris stop talking..."Shay said to me and I blinked in confusion.

"I'm not?" I answered in a very confused tone. What the hell was he on?

"Yes you are..."Shay didn't look away from Alexander but he was talking directly to me. My mouth dropped a little.

"Shay he wasn't talking..."Tino came up next to Shay. I noticed Alexander's fingers had tightened around Shay's one finger. Once it did, Shay let out a gasp.

"Oh I see!" Shay said and then went silent.

After what seemed like an eternity, Shayley's body relaxed and he stood up straight, his widened expression changing back to normal. His hand dropped and so did Alexander's.

"What just happened?" Austin asked of Shay. Shay didn't answer at first, he just stared at Alexander who had sunk back into Kade's arms comfortably. Shayley's head tilted in wonder.

"He...talked to me" I heard Kade let out a very small gasp and my eyes went wide.

"Wait.... what????" Alan said from a few feet away and the room filled with small whispers about the exchange that just took place.

"He was talking to me..through Chris's voice..he doesn't have a voice of his own so...did you know he could do that???" Shay asked as he looked at Kade and I. We both shook our heads immediately before looking at Alexander. He peered up at both of us, adoring us.

"He said that he likes the sound of your voice...especially when you sing to him. So he uses you to communicate because he doesn't he isn't able to physically speak yet. It's why I thought you were talking..." Shayley explained to me and I felt a bit flustered when he said he likes my singing because personally I think I'm terrible.

"What else did he say???" Kade was eager to know of this. We all were on some degree. I looked around the room and noticed very different expressions. Some excited, some confused and some were very concerned. It was when it dawned on me, we don't know as much as we think we do about hybrids. We've only scratched the surface was what they are and how they work. No one ever wanted to look further because they were too scared, scared of what hybrids could become.

"He wanted you to know that he understands what's going on. But most of all, he wants you to find his uncle Devin" With those words, the determination was building up inside of me. For Angelo and for Alexander, finding Devin was going to happen. Even if it kills me, I can't let them down. Not Angelo who is like my brother and not Alexander, my only son. How I was going to do this? I don't know. But I know, that I will find Devin.

"Holy shit..."Ricky murmured. The shock of Alexander's actions was still fresh in our minds. Just as I was about to say somethin, Shay grabbed my arm and pulled me out into the main hallway where the grand staircase was and the front door. Kade looked at me from the living room but I nodded my head in reassurance. He reluctantly turned away from us and faced everyone who were talking about Alexander's unknown powers.

"What is it Shay?" I asked him and he looked around before speaking in a hushed tone.

"He's scared Chris...I didn't wanna say it in front of Kade..but Alexander is scared of what could happen, especially to you and Kade. " He explained to me and I nodded in understanding but the pain in my chest was evident. Now that we know that Alexander knows what's up, it's heart wrenching knowing that he's scared, he's aware of what could happen. That's every parents nightmare, knowing that your child is terrified and there's not much you can do about it because a situation like this is worth being scared about.

"There's a lot to be afraid of...I don't know how I'm going to do this Shay" My voice cracked a little.

"To be honest...I don't know either. But you have to. This is your family. Your son...is fucking amazing. I've never seen anyone like him in my entire life...and he's changed you in ways I never thought possible.."Shay sounded like he didn't believe what was happening but it was and he couldn't deny it. His voice was just full of disbelief but wonder and shock. I looked into his eyes as he spoke.

"That boy is extraordinary Chris...he is truly extraordinary. Don't let something like that slip away." Shay spoke truthfully before leaving me to my devices to join the others. I a crossed my arms and held my stance, looking at the ground. Shayley was right, Alexander is extraordinary. He's a mysterious little child and there is much to learn from him and about him. Thinking back years ago, maybe those vampires weren't crazy about being scared if hybrids. Yes they went about it all wrong and should have done things differently. But Alexander is already showing intelligence and already has control over what powers are looming in his little body. He's just a baby, a little baby but has shown us that inside his mind, he's more than just a baby. There's more to this than we think and that certainly is worth being scared about.

Just as I was about to go back into the living room, there was a knock at the door. I paused for a moment before walking the few feet towards the door and opening it. I raised an eyebrow because no one was out here, it was completely empty out. Okay some little bastards are playing ding dong ditch at my door, that's nice. I rolled my eyes and took a step back. But before I could close the door, a piece of black caught my eye. I paused and looked at the ground, seeing a black envelope on the ground. I leaned down and picked it up. Flipping it side to side, it was completely blank. Cautious, I opened the envelope and pulled out a perfectly folded sheet of white paper. My heart dropped to the bottom of my stomach as I read the letter.

If you ever want to see Devin alive again, meet me at 4508 Stoney Creekside. ALONE. I see anyone else, a stake goes through his heart before it goes through yours
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope everyone had an awesome Christmas! I know I did and I hope you have a better new year :) extra long chapter because I have no life haha enjoy