Sequel: Dark on Me
Status: Finished. Sequel in the works

Space Enough to Grow

Reflection

"Chris you are not going! We'll find Devin another way!" Kade screamed at me as I paced around the room, biting at my nails nervously. I told Kade about the letter that was left on our doorstep and he isn't taking it very well.

"Kade I don't think there is another way. This could be our chance to find him alive!" I tried to calmly reason with him. Although I understood where he's coming from, I can't let this chance slip away from my fingers. The letter has struck fear in us but also hope, hope that Devin is still alive and that there is a chance to save him.

Kade looked at me in total disbelief and as if he wanted to slap me again.

"Take Austin with you!!"

"Yeah and if I do take Austin, they'll kill me, Devin, and probably Austin too. I'm supposed to go alone remember?" I reminded him and he made a sound of sass and irritation.

"And if you go alone, you could be killed. Will you just stop and think about this for a minute Chris?" He stood up and crossed his arms, putting his weight on the right side of his hips. I stopped my pacing right in front of him and cupped his cheeks. For a moment I just gazed into his eyes and saw the true terror within them. They say the eyes are the window to the soul. Sometimes I believe that saying is true.

"I have thought about it baby. I really have. I know you're scared...I'm scared too. But this is for Devin's sake. I have to go if there is any chance that's he's alive and we can bring him home safely" As I explained to him, he closed his tear filled eyes, cause my stomach to wrench a little. I hated doing this, putting him through this but I can't abandon Devin, he too is my family.

"B-but what if-if...." Kade couldn't finish his sentence without bursting into tears. I held in my own droplets as I pulled his frame into my chest, holding his body tightly in a soothing and loving manner. Rubbing his back softly, I spoke in a mere whisper.

"I know...I know Kade. But you can't think like that..not now. You have to stay strong for me okay?" Kade pulled away from my now tear stained shirt and looked up at me. I gave him an apologetic smile before stroking his cheek.

"If anything happens...I promise I will fight my hardest to come home. I swear to you" I could still see the doubt and reluctance in his eyes and on his face. But he knows once my mind is made up, there's no going back or changing it. There was a lot at stake, big big risk and death was a major possibility. I was very scared. I can't lie and say that I'm not because I'm just setting myself up for disaster. I can't be reckless, I can't just go about it without a care. I have to be cautious. I have to take one step at a time. I'm strong, very strong actually. But I don't know what I'm walking into. Strength means nothing when you're blind.

"I hate this...I hate it!!" Kade exclaimed to me and nodded before wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

"I know baby and I hate it too...but it's reality for now" I pressed a kiss to his head and Kade let out a long sigh before wrapping his arms around my waist and snuggling into my body. It was like we were perfectly molded for each other. Resting my head on top of his, I rubbed my cheek against his soft strands of hair.

"The guys will be sticking around until I get back. Just to make sure you're safe while I'm gone" I felt him nod against my chest but it was small and unsure. We hugged for a moment longer before pulling away. He gave me one last reluctant glance before pulling away all together and leaving the room, presumably to check on Alexander who was snoozing away in his nursery. I watched him until he left the room before sitting down and resting my elbows on my knees, burying my face in my hands. I wasn't lying when I told Kade that I was scared. I was indeed very scared. This was all new to me. Before, I had never ever felt true fear simply because I was the one being feared. Everyone was terrified of me. But now that the tables have turned greatly, I was feeling true fear this time. Anyone who has stepped onto the battlefield has felt fear before. Because just like pain, fear is a good thing. Because once you feel them, you know you're alive. And if anyone has ever told you that they weren't afraid, then they are liars and are as good as dead.

"Penny for your thoughts boss?" I looked up to see Shay standing in the doorway. I snorted and shook my head with a shrug of my shoulders before looking down at the ground. I head Shay let out a sigh before walking further into my bedroom.

"I don't know what to think right now Shay.."I chuckled without any humor whatsoever. Shay came up beside me and sat down, putting a hand on my back.

"It's a lot to take in Chris. Anyone can understand that. No one expects you to be superman all the time you know.."

"I know that but...I just can't let everyone down. And if I can't rescue Devin, I'll feel like I did just that. Let everyone down" I clenched my hands into fist and let out a shaky sigh. Shay rubbed my back in a soothing manner. "And since I have to go alone, the odds are against me. If I take anyone else..we all just die. I go alone, there's a good chance Devin and I die together. And if I don't go at all, Devin dies for sure and then what? Devin is my family too, I can't abandon him. And if I do, what kind of man will I be?" Despite being on the verge of tears, I kept them at bay and kept my voice level.

"Its okay Chris...we have a plan. Well sort of.." Shay spoke and I looked up at him, waiting for him to speak. Shay chewed on his lip for a moment and I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Well Shay?" I asked and he focused on me again.

"Well maybe some of us can follow you there...you know stealth mode. In case something happens and we can intervene and help" Shay explained and I shook my head immediately before standing up and walking forward a few steps.

"It's too risky Shay. I don't know how many people we are dealing with. I can't risk Devin's safety"

"But maybe we ca-"

"No Shay!" I growled and he flinched at me with wide eyes. I quickly calmed myself down and cleared my throat in a mere apologetic notion. "Just...it's too risky. I can't risk anyone's life right now. I need a clear mind. I don't know what is going to happen but I need some piece of mind that everyone here is going to be okay. That Kade and Alexander are heavily protected while I'm gone...I understand you're only trying to help..but you can help me more just by staying here..." I tried to make him understand and it seemed to me he got the point because he nodded very solemnly and in defeat.

"Its okay Chris..I understand..Just be careful okay???" I nodded to him before turning away and walking out of the room. The hallway was filled with my friends and family but no one said a word. I did not see Kade so I assumed he was still with Alexander. I could feel all the eyes on me but I kept my gaze forward. I had reached the end of the hallway where the staircase was and I was met with Ryan. He said nothing as he handed me a cloth covered item. I looked at him for a moment before I unwrapped the item and revealed a black sharpened dagger with a scorpion etched into the handle with a sort of artsy elegance. I recognized this dagger immediately. It was an enchanted dagger created hundreds of years ago by a witch named Annabel. She created the dagger as a secondary weapon that was extremely lethal to vampires. I got my hands on it after I killed her. She should have stayed in her own lane instead of crossing to mine. She would still be alive but oh well.

"Good luck Chris.."Ryan whispered to me before stepping out of my way. I nodded to me before descending down that stairs with a sort of reluctance. I heard whispers behind me but I ignored them as I walked right out the door towards my car. I got in and started it up before circling out the driveway and driving down the pathway, leading away from my house. Stoney Creekside was not far from here so I had no time to dwell in my thoughts of death. Instead I thought about who wrote the note. There are a lot of possibilities of who wrote the note because everyone is against us right now. It could be anyone that took Devin. That's the scary and hardest part, I can't narrow it down. It wasn't Ashley, she's the gloating type and would have let me know already with one of her childish games. She would have been my first guess but it doesn't seem like her M.O. And I've been dealing with that crazy bitch for years. There are a few others I can think of that might do something like this but I guess I'll find out when I get there.

The further I drove, the more...secluded the area became. Driving from my house, you'll approach farmland for awhile but the closer I got to the destination, the more forest like the area became. The trees were getting thicker and thicker by the moment. And with the sun on the horizon, close to disappearing, the more creepier it got. It was like a horror movie was unfolding. But I doubt Michael Myers would start chasing me and I wasn't near any Lakes so Jason was nowhere in sight.

At some point I started to think I was lost and was about to look at my GPS again before I saw a yellow sign that said "Dead End" on it. When a dead end you'd expect to see it fenced off or see the road end. Instead I saw big castle like wrought iron gates, gates that were bigger than mine. In the background, there was a silhouette of a gigantic house that had a roof pointed like ones similar to a castle during the dark ages. I was a little star struck by what I saw. I stopped the car at the dead end sign and turned it off before getting out. The second I got out, there was a cold breeze that circled around my body and sent a chill up my spine. I shivered just a little as I closed my door and began a slow walk towards the gates that were eerily opened. It was like someone was waiting for me...like they knew I'd come here anyway.

It was completely dead silent out here other than the sound of the wind and a few rustling sounds in the trees. The house had a little fog circling around it endlessly. It was really scary and I was starting to think that this was a real life horror film.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped around the open gate and was met with a graveyard for a front lawn. Literally there were headstones in the front lawn and I sincerely hoped that they were there for decoration...but a part of me was jealous because it looked awesome. There was a grey stone path that led up to the front door and with great hesitance, I walked on it. My footsteps were echoing and bouncing off the gates, filling the near dead silence. The house was completely darkened, there was no light whatsoever.

When I reached the door, I wasn't sure if I should knock or just walk in...but it was all washed away when the door opened with a very slow and eerie creek. My heart was literally pounding in my chest at this point. As much as I wanted to go home and forget about all of this, I couldn't back down. I was already here so I might as well finish it.

With that reluctant conformation, I opened the door just a little more before stepping in. It was somehow colder in here than it was out there. There was just a single light hanging above me but it only illuminated me, nothing else. The floor beneath me was black and white tile. That was the only thing I could see.

"Hello?" I called out and my voice echoed through the house, it was louder than I expected to I flinched when the sound began to bounce off the walls and all over the place. I was looking around with wide eyes, trying to see something as I took a step forward. I heard a rattle noise and my head snapped forward.

The lights suddenly came on so fucking bright that I had to shield my eyes from the blinding rays as I stumbled backwards.

"GET HIM!!" Someone screamed and I gasped as I felt my arms being pulled on either side of me, being stretched out. I felt cold and restricting metal wrap around my arms that only grew tighter as I struggled. I fought hard against the restraints with small gasp falling from my lips. I could make no other sound as I panicked. My heart was beating at an impossible speed and I tried to scream out. The only thing that came out was a small whimper.

Suddenly the wind was knocked out of me as I fall backwards from the harsh force that hit my chest. The light was still blinding me so I could not see what it was. Whatever it was fell back with me and we hit the hard tile floor, my head cracking against it and I felt a shot of pain throughout my skull. The restraints around my arms grew tighter and it was then I realized that it was keeping my body pinned to the ground.

"Did you think you could get away with this Cerulli!!!!??" The voice growled from above me and I started to thrash again. I finally looked up and my insides nearly fucking exploded.

Jayy Von was on top of me, a stake raised right above my heart.

"Jayy!!!??? What are you doing!!? Stop this!!!" I shouted at him as I began to yank on the chains. But they were too strong for me. I could only pull them an inch before they snapped back, keeping my arms at bay.

"Jayy we can't hold him for long!!! Kill him NOW!" Someone out screamed from a distance. WHAT THE FUCK?? KILL ME????

"Jayy Von stop it!!! Its me!!!" I pleaded with him but he only growled in response, the veins growing from his eyes with a thickness and a terror.

"Did you really think you'd take her away from me?????" He whispered to me.

"Jayy I don't know what you're talking about! I don't know who "her" is!!!" As much as I fought and thrashed, the ones holding me were too strong and Jayy Von being on top of me was making it much harder to escape. I looked up at him through terrified eyes and confusion.

"YOU CAN'T HAVE HER!!!!" He screamed at me and my heart sunk in my chest. I stopped thrashing immediately and stared up at him. He kept the stake right above my heart but he too stared at me. I was immediately taken aback...I had no idea what he was talking about ...what the hell was going on here??? I no longer fought the chains and at this point it felt like my arms were gonna tear right off.

"What are you talk-" The doors suddenly burst open behind us and Jayy's weight that was on me previously had disappeared, relieving me immediately. I felt the air suck back into my lungs, making me cough just a bit. The chains that there on my arms had loosened greatly and I sat up quickly, pushing them off me and letting them fall to the ground. I heard shouting around me and looked around to see Austin on top of Jayy Von, punching him relentlessly. I looked around to see everyone fighting each other. Alan was scrapping with Dahvie and Ricky was holding off Ben and Danny by himself. I growled deeply and bared my fangs before quickly getting to my feet and tackling Ben to the ground. He let out a yelp as we crashed and I punched him in his face, blood squirting from his mouth like a fountain. Before I could hit him again, I felt someone yanking me off and threw me backwards. But I caught myself just in time and landed in a crouched position. Jayy was in a hunters crouch in front of me, poised for the kill just as I was. We watched each other with wild black eyes and pounced at each other.

We collided in mid air but I was the stronger one so I knocked him back and we smashed into the tile so hard it cracked beneath him. I grabbed him by his neck and squeezed it into a near choke as I reached down to grab the dagger from my boot. I pulled it out and pressed the tip against his heart.

"Jayy!!!" Dahvie screamed.

"You come near us and I kill him!!" I snapped at Dahvie who was being held back by Austin. Austin and Ricky had Danny and Ben at bay. Another vampire I did not recognize was being restrained by Shayley who nodded sharply to me.

"Dahvie stay back!" Jayy snapped at him and I turned my attention back to Jayy who was glaring up at me.

"Where is Devin...?" I snarled at him and he snorted at me without answering. I narrowed my eyes before pressing the tip of the dagger into his skin, piercing it and causing him to hiss in pain.

"I'm going to ask you one more time before I shove this dagger into your heart you son of a bitch. Where the fuck is Devin!!" I tightened my grip around his neck and let the veins from my eyes pulse and grow thicker, my fangs ready to sink into his neck.

"Daddy???" A small voice filled the room and my head snapped up towards the doorway. There stood a short girl with her hands clasped together, shaking in fear with wide green eyes. She was looking around at all of us, terrified. I stared at the girl, at her face, struck by her appearance. She looked exactly like....Jayy Von...I looked down at Jayy then back at the girl. It was like looking at a reflection from Jayy's perspective.

"Wait...Did she just say Daddy!???"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hows the story so far??