Status: Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

When the Darkness Comes

II

The group made it back to the high way with the extra help of Ella guiding them back. They had been keeping any eye out for Sophia, the little girl that was lost, on the way back. They found some tracks but concluded it must have been from walkers because of how messy and inconsistent they were. Ella was the one to spot them which colored Daryl impressed. The girl interested him for some reason. Why be so kind to these strangers? It was an odd thing considering the world had went to shit and at times the living were more of threat than the dead. He still did not like her despite the curiosity she struck in him. He was certain she would just prove to be another person to protect, to feed. She's probably someone's burden in his mind.

“I think you you all would be safer at our farm. The highway isn't a safe place to be,” Ella said to them as they stopped by the large RV.

“Also, I'm sure your friends Rick and Lori could use the support.”

The group agreed. Including Dale, who she just met as they rested at the RV. He was a nice man; cared about everyone he had been with it seems. Then there was T-Dogg who wasn't looking so hot. Ella was told he cut his arm pretty bad on a broken car door.

“My dad can help T-Dogg too. He's not looking too good and I'm thinking an infection might set in soon,” she said to Dale.

“You're right,” he said.

“We can't just leave. What if Sophia comes back? She's only a little girl!” Carol argued, tears brimming her bright blue eyes.

Ella sighed and looked at her with sympathy, “I can stay here tonight and watch for her.”

Carol looked shocked but happy at the offer, “I couldn't ask you to do that.”

“You're not. I'm offering. You guys could leave a sign and some food too letting her know to stay here when you get back. Check in the day after tomorrow,” Ella said to her.

“Not a bad idea,” Glenn agreed.

The group agreed that they would leave a sign for Sophia after Ella left the highway in the morning. Daryl said he would stay with her. Two pairs of eyes were better than one. Ella gave Glenn the directions again to the farm. She told him to let her sister know where she was and that she would be back. Everyone packed up a jeep and headed to the farm, leaving Daryl and Ella to keep watch for the night.

“What are you doing?” Daryl asked as they sat on top of the RV, the sun just starting to hide behind the hills.

“Helping,” she said simply, staring out at the tree line for any sign of movement.

“Why? Not like we asked ya to help. Prolly just get in the way,” Daryl muttered that last part to him self but Ella heard it.

She snapped her eyes over to him, keeping a calm face but her green eyes held annoyance, “I know this forest backwards, so I would like to know how I am getting in the way. I can track and I can hunt. Last I checked those two things don't get in the way.”

Daryl stayed silent, a little surprised that she snapped at him. He didn't think she had the guts to do that, especially to someone she just met. Clearly this girl held a lot more personality than he first thought. A very fiery personality.

“Besides, no little girl should be lost. Not in this world especially. You guys can use the extra eyes,” she added softly looking back to the tree line.

The sky was completely black after an hour of sitting on top the RV. Ella leaned over to check on Taz. He was dozing in his spot tied to the front of the RV. She had taken his saddle off for his comfort. She smiled at her sleepy horse and straightened back up, enjoying the silence. And surprisingly, enjoying the company. Daryl wasn't the number one person she wanted to be stuck with, but, at least she wasn't by her self. There was another person to keep an out on things with her.

“Why are you doing this?” she broke the silence.

“I know what it's like to be lost in the woods,” he answered, no emotion in his voice.

Ella looked at him, wanting him to go on with the story. She knew there was a story.

“Did your parents find you?”

“Dad didn't care, Merle was locked up for something, and my ma passed. I found my way back,” he said shifting in his seat to comfortable.

“Walked right into the kitchen and made my self a sandwich,” Daryl said, “Had poison ivy like a bitch though on my ass like no other.”

Ella smiled to her self, trying not to giggle out loud. It was sad that he had to go through that when he was young but the added comment on the poison ivy made it funny for some odd reason. She let out a snort trying to cover her laugh. Daryl looked at her confused.

“I'm sorry, it's not funny,” she said trying not to smile.

She noticed Daryl smiled slightly before it disappeared. He looked back to the tree line, breathing in a deep breath and letting out.

“What about you? Ever get lost?” he asked, keeping the comfortable conversation going.

“No. I did run away once,” Ella said with a smirk.

“I got into a huge fight with my dad about a boyfriend I had that he did not like. He told me to break up with him or I would be grounded or something. I got so mad. Took my car and left with my boyfriend out of state. After a few days, realized how much of an ass the guy was and came back,” she explained to Daryl who was actually paying attention to her words.

“And?” he insisted.

“I was grounded,” she smiled.

Daryl let out what sounded like a laugh. She guessed he wasn't too mad if he was keeping a conversation with her. Then again, he was probably just bored. She sure as shit was which is why she didn't mind talking. Normally around strangers she's very quiet and prefers to just observe everything and everyone around her. Then again, she did that on the walk to the highway.

“Didn't think of you as the rebellious type,” Daryl commented.

Ella could see what he meant. At first look, she didn't look close to someone who would be rebellious. She had long curly dark curly hair, light freckles across her face, and big green eyes. Not tattoos or over the top piercings either. She looked like any other country girl.

“I'm the oldest of three daughters; My parents had to learn with me,” she laughed.

“Maggie and Beth are the good ones. Beth especially. Maggie had her moments of defiance against our dad.”

Daryl nodded and started at the trees. Ella let the conversation die and pick the silence back up again. She let the warm wind hit her skin and give her a small chill. She finally took a moment to bring in her surroundings. She looked at the black highway; it was haunting to see in the moonlight. Cars piled against each other and other just vacant because a family needed to get away fast. The silence was deafening and kind of scary. This highway was buzzing with people commuting to work at one point and now it was dead. The air smelled stale. The smell of old gasoline and corpses was in the air around this highway. She couldn't wait to get back to the farm and smell the freshness of the grass.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please leave comments <3