White Christmas

First Snow

"It's beautiful." She whispered with awe, staring out the living room window as flakes of snow gently were falling onto the ground.

"It's snow. There's nothing special about it." He responded, not looking up from the television.

"You only say that because you've lived around it your whole life." She retorted, tearing herself away from the window to glare at her husband.

"And you only think it's so beautiful because you've never seen it before. The disadvantages of being from the middle of the desert."

"It's still pretty."

"You won't think so when it's been a few days and it's freezing no matter where you go. You can't even stand the air conditioner in the car." He finally turned to look at her. She was kneeling on the couch in fuzzy pajama pants with her long, dark hair pulled into a braid over her shoulder. Her eyes were lit up like the Christmas lights he'd had to put up last week since she'd seen the snow falling from the puffy clouds.

"Alright, so I don't like the cold!" She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "But the snow looks almost magical. Come on, let's go play in it!"

"Play in it?" He asked, shifting in the recliner. "There isn't even enough to cover the ground yet how are you going to play in it?"

"You're no fun at all." She pouted.

"Tell you what, I'll go make some hot chocolate, we can finish the movie and in a few hours when there's enough snow on the ground I'll let you go play in it."

"Alright. But you'd better make the cocoa the right way, and extra marshmallows." She told him, turning back toward the window.

He sighed and pushed in the bottom of the recliner in order to stand up. Once up, he stretched and headed toward the kitchen to make the hot chocolate.