Sequel: Healing the Broken
Status: I hope you all enjoyed it, I most likely will be creating a sequel.

Avenging Death

Chapter Four: Anguish

I almost threw the dagger at the man who pranced towards Tronzey and I, but I realized who it was. Fretfully, Kye looked at me then Tronzey.
“What’s wrong with her,” he asked, jumping off his horse and tending to Tronzey.
“Poison berries,” I responded.
He took the berries from Tronzey’s open hand, examine them, and shook his head.
“They’re not poison berries just sleeping berries,” he said.
I looked at him quizzically.
“I use to eat them when I was kid before I met you.”
He picked up the little girl and lied her down on one of the cots I had set up and cover her with a blanket.
I could see the sadness in his eyes now. They were also red. He had been withholding something.
“She’ll be awake in the morning,” he said.
“Okay explain,” I said. We both knew he wouldn’t be here unless it was something important. And by his gloomy mood and expression I knew something wrong.
“General Kan sent me after you to warn you that the man, Shrush, the one you fought, the one who killed your parents was put on trial. His part of the gull clan and was convicted of killing hundreds of people. We had him locked up in the cell but Leer and the rest of is clan attacked the whole city and freed him.”
He gulped, telling me this seemed to be causing him pain.
My blood was boiling. “You should have let me kill him why I had the chance.”
He shook his head. “More than a third of the men at arena were in his clan. That’s three hundred men. They would have ambushed everyone in the arena if anyone of us had killed him including the women and children. His leer’s brother.
Leer was the leader of Gull clan. He had been the one who had raped my mother, my sister and I. When they burned our house down, I was able to scrawl out. They had thought I was dead.
“Who was guarding him?” I demanded.
“Five of the city’s soldiers and five of our own soldiers,” His voice cracked as he spoke.
I asked the question I dreaded most. “Who and how many were killed?”
I could see pain swell in his eyes.
“Five civilians,” His voice quivered with pain as he continued to speak. “ten city soldiers, and fifteen of our soldiers, including Brail.”
I froze as the pain shot through me. There were no words that could explain the anguish running inside me. My hands were trembled as I stared wide eyed at him as he was also struggling with the pain. We had lost the man who had been a father to us, who had protected us, and consoled us with pain of our love ones all while mourning for his own.
Now I could see in Kye’s eyes remorse that from the depth of his heart even though he knew it would have been a blood bath that he would have rather fought than let Brail die that way. Still there was more he had to say. He was trying to spare me from something more.
“What else did you come to tell me,” I ask as I fought to keep my tears back.
“Being defeated by a woman has scorned his pride. He wants another match. He wants you dead,” he said
“Not if I kill him first. Where is he?” I demanded, vengeance burning inside of me.
“It’s dangerous,” He warned me. “One of the units are already on his trail.”
“Fine, then I’ll go south,” I thought leer would have to becoming from the south since that is where the city and arena was.”
I shoved past Kye to my horse but he grabbed by arm. Don’t do this.” he said sternly.
“I don’t care if I die, I won’t let him kill anyone else,” I tried to pull away him. “Let me go.”
“And what about her,” he pointed to the little girl.
“You take her since you care about her so much,” I snapped.
He look at me angrily.
I tried to pull away from him again but he held tightly. When he wouldn’t let go I began beating against his chest.
“Let go,” I demanded.
He just stood there and let me punch him. When I realized he wasn’t going to let go. I let the hot tears roll out and begin to sob. I gave up and let myself sink. None of this was Kye’s fault and yet I was hurting him. Anger was ripping inside of me because I needed to rage. Kye had let me hit him so I could release the anger. Kye knelt down and pulled me into his chest.
“Why don’t you say it,” I said still sobbing.
“What?” he gently pulled me away from his chest, and gazed quizzically into my eyes. His eyes were full of tear as well.
“I’m sorry,” I could feel the tears were streaking my face. “I was foolish. I should have waited. Brail is dead. All those people are de—
“Look Danj,” he said. “Even if you hadn’t said anything, they were planning on invading and attacking the city anyway. That’s what they do: killed the man, rape the women, and enslave and sell anyone they like, and steal and take whatever they want.”
“That’s why I can’t let the gull clan get away. Not only did they murder my families, but they—” I stopped myself, and repressed the memories.
“We are,” He said. “general Kan and the others are tracking them as we speak. We are going to surprise attack them. Remember the gull clan is the same clan that also killed my father and brothers and raped and killed my mother and sisters, and many other families. We aren’t the only ones who lost much because of the gull clan. Danj, I love you and will fight with you till the death but first, we need to get the little girl to her destination. How can we call ourselves soldiers if can’t even protect a helpless, little girl.”
“You’re right,” I said.
Kye gently gripped my shoulder and gazed into my eyes. “Danj, you are the closest thing that I and Kashon have to family, do not let anger blind you and get you killed.
I nodded.
“Tomorrow I have to report back to general Kan but l will find you and scope the surrounding area to make sure they don’t come anywhere near you.”
“Thank you Kye,” I said.
“You don’t have to thank me,” he said in a gentle voice. “I’m not going to lose some else I care about.”
I stayed in his arms a bit longer.