The Soul Snatcher

Brambles

Darling, do not go into the woods today. Yes, carefree imp you are, you like to play, and those trees are just fine for climbing, but understand, little one, that it is just not safe.

Where the towering pines o'erreach with their black shadows and grasping branches, where the wind howls and the sun fades into haze, where the underbrush grows thick and the leaves coat the forest floor, there you can find h̞͡ì͉̤̣͔m̰͔͢.

With outstretched limbs and gleeful grin does h̻͇͎̳͙e̴̫̰͍̭̻ wait, knowing some traveller will wander, unaware of their fate. Mercilessly does h̪͖e̶͔͎̞̖ prey on the unsuspecting, stalking and savouring the hunt as h̪͖e̶͔͎̞̖ confuses and terrorises h̨̩̙̜ì͉̤̣͔s̜̟͇. quarry until whoever dared enter the forest is left with naught to do but whimper, scream, and run in fear. The men h̻͇͎̳͙e̴̫̰͍̭̻ kills, the women h̪͖e̶͔͎̞̖ devours, the children h̨̩̙̜e҉̤̩̫̣̭ steals. No one quite knows what purpose h̨̩̙̜e҉̤̩̫̣̭ has for them, as they are never seen again.

Do not go to the forest, child, for the shade and brambles of the wood are h̭͓̪̀i͇͓͈͙̲͈s̙͔͕͉͡ territory; do not enter to play, do not enter to frolic, for only misfortune can spring from crossing the boundary between ours and h̥̘̺i̷s̜̟͇.

If you do not heed the warnings, there is little that can save you, save for one ritual. Find the vine that cuts and do not turn 'round, no matter what. Crawl into the bed of thorns and shut your eye, for if you do not, you will surely die. H̖͖͙͕͙̞̖e͎͠ knows all that are in h̭͓̪̀i͇͓͈͙̲͈s̙͔͕͉͡ realm, every flower and every elm, so do not dare to feign you have not trespassed in h̥̘̺i̷s̜̟͇ domain. Instead lie still and keep your mind clear of all thought. This is the only way to prevent being caught.

Of course all this is merely a tale, a story woven by spinsters meant to entertain. You know this.

Oh little one, your tiny heart flutters and waves of terror roll off your flesh as you tremble in the brambles. Come now. You have nothing to fear. Stand. Those thorns have treated your tender flesh so harshly that you bleed and tremble. So come, child, come to where you can be safe from all who wish to harm you.

Come with m̼̯͍̀͢͜e͟҉̣̤͉̩̯̼̭.