Gotta Get Out

1

I woke up to my alarm blaring at 6 in the morning and groaned. I threw my legs over the side of my bed and padded over to the shower to get ready for the school day. Once I was showered, I threw on clothes and brushed out my dark brown hair, deciding on throwing it up in a ponytail, and walked downstairs to have breakfast, rolling my eyes to see that we had no food. Of course. I groaned, my stomach grumbling as I shook my head and left the house, headed for school. When I got there, one of my best friends was already standing outside my locker.

“Morning, Liv!” She chirped happily, running a hand through her short, died electric blue, hair. I attempted to put a smile on my face to mask my exhaustion.

“Morning, Bri.” I mumbled, pulling books out of my locker. “How was your weekend?”

I shut the locker and leaned against it. I was curious about how her weekend went. Our best friends were in a band, and they spent their weekends playing different shows that I was not allowed to attend, but Brianna went to support her boyfriend, Michael. Her and Michael had been dating since they were 14, and they were both now 17, with no sign of it slowing down.

I met the boys through Brianna, who had been my best friend since kindergarten. When she started dating Michael, I fell in with all the boys, but became closest with Ashton. He connected with me on many levels that I didn’t even realize, and I couldn’t imagine my life without him anymore. He was my best friend. I sighed and tuned back into what Brianna was saying.

“They’re slowly gaining a fan base, Olive, and it’s amazing! Like, seeing them perform makes me so proud. You need to come sometime.”

I bit my lip. I wanted nothing more than to come to their shows and support them every weekend, but my mother never let me. She thought I needed to focus on my studies and not hang out with boys and not “dye my hair blue like my hoodlum friend”.

Just then, all 4 boys approached us.

“I agree.” Michael looped his arm around Brianna’s shoulders, kissing her temple gently. “You should come to our shows.”

I sighed, looking to Ashton for help. He came over and wrapped his arms around me.

“Hey, Liv. How was your weekend? You alright?”

I sighed, knowing that Ashton could read me like a book.

“Miserable. I missed you.” I mumbled into his chest. He sighed as we pulled apart and he reached into his backpack, pulling out a banana and handing it to me.

“Breakfast.” He said. I grinned in gratitude and peeled open the banana.

“Okay you two are sickening.” Luke joked. “Plus, I didn’t even get a real greeting.”

“Awh, Lukie Pookie I missed you too.” I cooed, handing Ashton my banana before wrapping my arms around Luke in a hug.

“Are we going to have a movie night tonight?” Bri asked.

“It’s our Monday night tradition, is it not?” Calum asked, arching an eyebrow. I sighed.

“Listen, I’m not sure if I-“

“You’re coming.” Ashton interrupted, a little too firmly.

“Ash.” I muttered. He sighed, pulling me away from the group.

“Olivia.” He said sternly. “I know that you haven’t eaten all weekend. I know that you’ve been locked in your room. I know that you need tonight to be with us. It kills me when I have to leave you there I-“

“Ashton, stop.” I interrupted. “There’s nothing you can do. You’re getting famous! I’ll be here every step of the way, okay? I’ll come tonight, I promise.”

“Good.” He mumbled, pulling me into a hug as the bell rang. “I missed my best friend.”

We separated and waved goodbye to our friends as we walked to class, my mind spinning with how I was going to get away with going out tonight, and how I was going to tell Ashton exactly what happened over the weekend.