Gotta Get Out

2

“You’re an idiot!” I exclaimed, throwing a piece of popcorn at Calum’s head.

He tilted in head back and tried to catch it in his mouth, failing as it fell to the floor. I stuck my tongue out at him and he laughed. He had just said that Michael and Brianna were late for our movie night because they were probably having sex.

“Oh, Come on, Liv, it’s not like you never thought about it.”

“No. I prefer not to think about my best friend’s sex life, thank you.”

“Can we talk about something else?” Luke whined from his place on the sofa.

“I second that motion.” Ashton said from next to me.

Calum just laughed again and got up, grabbing the controller and searching through the list of movies. He stopped at the horror movie section and I groaned.

“No.” I whined.

“Why not?” Luke pouted.

Just then, Michael and Brianna came into the house, holding hands and grinning. Calum raised an eyebrow at me and I blushed, burying my face in Ashton’s chest. His laughter vibrated his chest.

“Okay, what did we miss?” Michael asked as they plopped down on the sofa next to Luke.

“Nothing.” I mumbled. “Just pick a movie.”

Calum picked a horror movie and I groaned again, but focused my attention on the tv, trying to be brave. At the most suspenseful part, I knew my body was shaking, and Ashton slung an arm around me.

“You alright, Liv?” He whispered in my ear. I nodded, but jumped from my seat when the monster appeared on screen. Brianna full on screamed, and I looked over to see he curled into Michael’s side. It made me feel better, and compelled Calum to reach over and turn the movie off.

“You’re all wimps.” He muttered.

“Can we watch a Disney movie?” I pleaded, my voice still shaky. Ashton laughed, pulling me closer to his side and grabbing the remote. Calum let out a ‘hey!’ in protest, but was ignored as Ashton put on The Little Mermaid. I grinned.

About halfway through the movie, Ashton, Brianna, Luke, and I were all singing along to the songs, Calum was on his phone, and Michael was asleep. I laughed as he snored.

“How do you put up with this all the time?” I asked Brianna. She laughed and kissed her sleeping boyfriend’s cheek.

“I’m used to it by now.” She said, shrugging.

I laughed as my phone vibrated in my pocket. I gulped and excused myself to the other room to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Olivia, where the hell have you been?!” My mother yelled on the other end of the phone. I winced and picked at my nail.

“I’m at Calum’s watching movies.” I said quietly.

“Well, you need to come home and do your homework. Jesus, Olivia, how many times have I told you not to hang out with those people? They only cause trouble in your life. I swear, if you keep hanging out with them, you won’t have a home to come back to. Be here in 5 minutes or else.”

I ran a shaky hand through my hair and went back to the living room, grabbing my purse.

“I uhm, I h-have to go.” I stuttered out to my friends.

“What? Why? We’re gonna have a sleepover!” Luke pouted.

“I-I’m sorry.” I mumbled.

“Olivia.” Ashton said sternly.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” I waved to my friends and Ashton got up, following me to the door. He pulled me into a hug.

“Text me when you get home, yeah?” He asked softly.

“Ashton, I’m fine.” I was far from it, but I didn’t want to worry my best friend.

“Please?” He asked softly. I sighed.

“Yeah. Okay.” I pulled from his embrace. “I’ll text you soon.”

I watched Ashton turn and go into the house, then started running full speed towards home, hoping I wouldn’t be too late.