Status: Hiatus

My Soul to Keep

What Do I Do?

Terra sat motionless in the black leather chair at the long wooden dinning table. Her head leveled straight ahead as she stared at the darkening outside world. She had awaken from her much needed nap only a few minutes ago and stumbled upon this room. One look at the large glass window, and she knew that she wanted to stay in that room for a while. Two chandeliers hung above her with their many bell shaped shades and small lights, and she had wished she could turn them off. The light caused a glare on the clean glass before her, washing out some of the scenery she was admiring.

“If you think the view in here is something,” Matt's low tone was unmistakable. “then you should see the other dinning room.”

“Why on Earth would there be two dinning rooms?” Terra asked not taking her eyes away from the window.

“I didn't build the place, I just often enjoy eating alone when I'm out here. The chairs are more comfortable in that one anyway.”

She could see him out of the corner of her eye, his looming figure on her right. He was gently swaying from left to right on his feet, she wondered if he even noticed his movements. The way he stood stiff as a board, yet swayed from side to side in a careless notion was unnatural looking. Terra finally turned her head slightly to look at him in the face. Indeed he was looking back at her, but he didn't really seem to be there with her.

Matt was far away in his own mind as he glanced back at the woman in front of him. He wasn't really seeing her as she was now, but how she was in her office. Happy. He shook his head and turned halfway away from her.

“Aren't you hungry?”

“Yeah.”

As Matt turned his head to look at her he saw that she'd returned her attention to the window directly in front of her. He sighed lightly and followed her gaze. She either wanted to go out there, or she was contemplating jumping through the window.

“Well don't just sit there,” Terra snapped her head toward him with confusion briefly flashing over her face. “there's food in the kitchen. Come on, I'll get you squared away.”

Terra didn't move. She simply continued to stare at the man like she had no idea what he was saying. Glancing back out the window for about two seconds, she closed her eyes and sighed. Pressing her palms flat on the table, she pushed herself upright and then turned to follow Matt. He began walking away, but was listening for her to see which way she'd go. With him, or out the window.

Terra looked at the plain walls with random artwork displayed on them as she followed Matt down the hallway. She wondered why she hadn't seen any of the other men, and yet she didn't want to see them. When they entered the kitchen, she saw a stainless steel double oven housed in dark wood to the left of the entrance. She scanned the room from left to right, taking in everything she could from the large open area. She saw a large picture of a nude woman on the wall just a little way from where they entered. Beyond that was another dinning table with soft looking gray chairs, a seating area with black and tan leather sofas and another seating area further out in front of what she thought was a window.

“Wait, there is a window there right?” She asked to Matt without looking at him.

“Yeah, it's retractable though. I can show you the control panel for it later.” He offered as he stared at her back. After a few moments of silence, Matt shifted on his feet and leaned over the dark marble island. “What are you hungry for?”

“Just...a sandwich or something.”

“Can you be a bit more descriptive? We've got ham, turkey, chicken, salami...”

Terra continued to stand with her back to him, and he continued to stare at her back. When she said nothing, his eyes began to drift over her body. She was still wearing that green gown she'd worn to the dinner. He, of course, had time to shower and change.

“Terra.” Hearing her name, she turned to him slowly. “I'm gonna have to get you some clothes. You'll have to give me your sizes, okay?”

“Sure.”

Though she answered emotionless, Matt figured she was jumping up and down inside at the thought of new clothing. He turned his attention to gathering things to make sandwiches as she wandered toward the table on the left of the room. There was an open area behind that table showcasing a very large and fancy looking pool. Overhead the same wooden ceiling from the inside of the house partially concealed the sky above.

She took a deep breath and let it go slowly as she felt a bitter cry rising in her chest. Her head dropped forward as she tried to stifle her sobs, she'd started to fall apart so suddenly that she couldn't control herself. Matt paused when one of her soft cries reached his ear, he snapped his head toward her feeling instantly guilty.

He dropped the knife he was using to spread condiments onto the bread and rounded the counter slowly.

Great she's crying. What the hell am I supposed to do?

Matt walked toward Terra slowly and quietly, once he reached her his heart was pounding. He placed his hands on her shoulders, but she pulled herself away and turned her glare on him. Matt held his hands up in defeat while taking a step backward.

“I was just going to ask if you wanted to go up to one of the rooms. I can just bring you your food.”

Without a word she briskly walked passed him and out of the kitchen.

“Okay, so touching her...not good.”