Status: Hiatus

My Soul to Keep

Flagstaff

It was the smell of fast food that woke Terra from her sleep, not the soft singing of the man in the driver's seat. Terra opened her eyes slowly, but didn't move her head. She wanted to listen to him while the moment was light. No tension, no arguing and no feeling sorry for oneself. When he stopped singing suddenly she slowly straightened herself up and pushed her hair out of her face. Matt glanced over at her briefly and then back at the stretch of road ahead. He turned the music down to a low mummer of words.

“Here,” He held out a unmarked brown bag to her. “I stopped and got you a burger while you were out.”

Saying nothing, she took the warm bag from him and opened it.

“Thanks...”

“We'll stop in about an hour. We'll be in Flagstaff, Arizona by then.”

“We're going to stay in Flagstaff?”

“Yeah, just for the night.”

“Are we going to shop?” Terra asked before taking a bite of the juicy burger in her hands.

“Yeah. Just for the basics okay? It'll be quick and simple right?”

“Is that your way of asking me not to run?”

“It's my way of asking you not to grab anything you don't absolutely need.” He answered with a smirk.

“I wouldn't run anyway.”

“You wouldn't?” Matt looked at Terra for a moment and then back to the deserted road ahead. “May I ask why?”

“It's too fucking hot out. The air is so thick I wouldn't even make it a foot walking, let alone running.”

Matt chuckled and relaxed in his seat, he took a little comfort in her words. However, he knew he couldn't let his guard down.

A few miles up the road, they came to a small shopping center. It wasn't anything to gawk at, but it would provide what they needed in a short amount of time. Matt took the liberty of securing his handgun into his waistline, thinking Terra hadn't noticed, he continued his movements in search of his wallet.

“What's the gun for? I said I wouldn't try anything.” Terra spoke with widened eyes.

“It's not for you, but you can never be too safe.”

“What's that supposed to mean?”

“Listen, we're not just moving around to different states because we have the money to blow. Just stay close to me and act natural.”

Terra nodded her head, but the whole time she was looking around for somewhere to separate herself from Matt. It might have been her last chance to get away from him. Matt got out first, Terra quickly looked around the car for anything she could use to her advantage. He was rounding the front of the car, she began to panic as he drew closer to her door. A tan car pulled up in the space next to theirs, Matt's back was turned to he couldn't have seen it.

The man behind the wheel was dressed in solid black, he wore a white cowboy hat and glasses. He slid his car into park before looking at the back of Matt's and then to Terra. Matt moved into Terra's line of sight before she could see anything else, but she had a bad feeling about the situation. Her heart leapt inside her chest, but in the back of her head was a voice telling her not to do anything.

Don't look, don't speak, just watch.

Matt pulled her door open and leaned down a fraction, Terra could see the man getting out of his car and standing behind Matt. From the looks of it, the man may have been a few inches taller than Matt. The mysterious man's hands were out of Terra's view, but her body was telling her that he might have had a weapon. Matt froze as he stared into Terra's eyes, she tried her best not to give anything away.

Just watch.

Matt quickly stood upright and turned around to face the man. He grabbed Matt, and to anyone else it might have looked like a hug from a long distance buddy. Maybe they had gone to college in different towns or states and lost contact with one another. Matt leaned backward to stare at the man in the face and you could see an unpleasant expression. Matt took a step backward, clearly holding the man up against his own car.

“What...what happened?”

“Just stay in the car...” Matt said not bothering to look at her.

“What did you do?!”

“Just stay there!” Matt yelled, this time looking over his shoulder at her.

“So...it's this bitch.” The unnamed man finally spoke. Glaring down at Terra with dark eyes. “You know, if you were going to make me hunt you down Shadows...you could have at least picked a prettier bitch.”

“Don't make me do this Williams.”

“You've already done it.”

“Williams-”

“Everybody has a puppet master,” Williams looked at Matt and smiled. “well...everyone except you huh?”

“I don't know what you're talking about.”

“Play stupid, that's the safe route. You know damn well what's going to happen to her when they've caught up to you.”

“Well they're not.”

“Better if it'd been me. I would have made it quick, painless even...”

“She has nothing to do with this gang war!” Matt seethed.

Terra sat frozen as she stared at the two of them. She wished one of them would just make a move.

“She's your little whore and that makes her fair game.”

“I should just snap your neck, make it easy on myself.”

“Do it. I've lived a full fucking life and I've got nothing else to lose. I've got no family, no ties...nothing. But I'd imagine that if something happened to that little brunette whore behind you...oh, hell to pay.”

“Williams, you're absolutely right. You've got nothing left in life, so...see you in hell my friend.”

Matt's arm jerked upward, but Terra only saw in slow motion. As Matt turned around to face Terra, she let out a blood curdling scream. Matt moved to stifle her, but she kicked at him widly.

“Terra stop, I had to.” He grabbed her and forced her into his arms. Her screams were greatly muffled in the fabric of his shirt as he held her tightly. She tried to bite him through the fabric of his clothing, but it didn't seem to phase him. “I had to...”

Terra calmed down, passing out in the process. He leaned her over in the seat and then caught a glimpse of himself in the rear view mirror. His face was splattered with blood.
♠ ♠ ♠
Been meaning to post this for the longest and got swamped with work. You know how it is, you work forty hours a week and when you get to your off days your bed is your boyfriend lmao

Thanks for reading, this story is growing larger than I expected it to.

-Marnie