Status: Hiatus

My Soul to Keep

Motel

Terra came to in the middle of a queen sized bed with the sound of birds chirping. She remained as still as possible until she realized she was alone. Lifting her head a small fraction off the plush pillow, she quickly scanned the room for any signs of Matt. Once she didn't see him she go off the bed and headed toward the door.

Terra fumbled with the three locks on the door frantically. She yanked the door open and ran into Matt's solid chest. He frowned as he used his body as a shield to force her her back into the room. Terra screamed, but Matt moved quickly. He dropped the bags he was holding and forced her face into his chest. She lifted her leg in hopes to knee him in the groin, but he pivoted his hips away and continued to hold her. She swung her arms wildly, but she missed every time. Terra shifted her weight on her heels to try and get her mouth free, crying out in panic briefly.

“Will you stop fighting me please?!” she ignored him and continued to struggle. “Terra, I am not the enemy!”

Matt forced her backward and prepared himself for round two. They both starred each other down for a moment before either one spoke.

“You killed someone...”

“To protect you!” Don't you understand that's what I do?! It's what I have to do!”

“Why?! Couldn't you just arrest him?!”

“I'm-! I'm not going to argue with you. I've already explained enough to you. Here!” Matt tossed a bag at her roughly. “Get dressed, we're leaving.”

With that, he exited the room.

[***]

After Terra had gotten dressed, she exited the bathroom with the bags in her arms. Matt guessed her sizes a little too big, but she would manage. She spotted him sitting on the bed with his head in his hands. He looked up at her slowly with an unreadable expression. She could see he was exhausted, the lack of sleep could make him either easy to run from or irrationally angry.

He stood up, the handle of his handgun poking out from his waistline. Matt pulled his shirt down and continued to stand beside the bed.

“I didn't think the clothes would be so big.”

When Terra didn't respond, he sighed and walked to stand in front of her. He picked her up and put her over his shoulder in one fluid motion. She protested, but he ignored her and walked out of the motel room. He had taken the liberty of loading the car while she was in the shower to make things faster.

Terra dropped the bag she was clinging onto, thinking he might have to put her down to grab it. He continued to walk until he reached the car. He put her inside, stopping to handcuff her to the door and put on the child safety lock, before slamming the door. He wasn't going to make another mistake. He wouldn't give her the opportunity to escape. He tossed the bag in the backseat as he got into the car. He started the car and drove away without even a glance in her direction.

He wasn't upset that she tried to run, he wasn't upset with the fact that she still thought he was the bad guy. He was surprised that she fought so hard, sure. He didn't expect her to try and bolt with him in the room, however he should have. He would have done the same if put into her position. He knew in the back of his mind she was going to try, he assumed she'd pretended to be asleep and tried to escape while he was buying her clothes.

Neither of them spoke for miles. Silence and cold air filled the space between them. Terra glared sourly out the window at the passing town, while Matt continued forward. He was contemplating if his decision to take her was one well made, or maybe if he hadn't thought with his head.