Status: Hiatus

My Soul to Keep

No Cigars

Terra must have fallen asleep, she jolted awake in the backseat of Brian's car. She looked around quickly to figure out where they might be. Brian was speeding through traffic following behind Matt's car.

“Where's Johnny? What happened?”

Brian continued on as if he hadn't heard her, or didn't care to answer. The way he tailed Matt's vehicle so close began to make her panic. She leaned forward a fraction and tried to see his face in the mirror.

“What's going on?”

“Just sit there and shut up.”

“What is happening?!”

“Matt got stabbed...several times. We're going to the ER.” Brian looked into the rear view mirror at her, but she was looking down at her lap. “Feeling guilty?”

“You're a dick.”

“All we've ever been trying to do-”

“Is help. God, okay I get it but-”

“When you think about your life five years into the future, do you picture yourself as a well established business woman...or someone's favorite slut?”

“Excuse me?”

“Do you dream about waking up and fucking several different men to earn your paycheck?”

“No!”

“If it wasn't for Matt, that's where you'd be.” Terra began to feel guilt creep up from her stomach. “He took on this case, he's been trying to get this same guy for a little over three years.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

“None of this is easy for you, but come on. At least work with us here.”

“Who stabbed him?” Brian's stiff silence stunned her. “He was there wasn't he?!”

“Yes.”

“He got away?!”

“I had a choice to make, go after him or help save my best friend.”

“Well, I'm sure he will appreciate your decision.”

“He'll be pissed that he didn't get his guy.” Brian chuckled lightly. “Especially since he was right there.”

“Is it that bad?”

Brian held up his right hand, the palm was stained red with dried blood.

“Are you going to faint? You look a little pale.” Brian observed her in the mirror for a while before he turned his attention back to the road.

“He might not make it...”

“Oh you wish, he'll be a cranky bitch for a few weeks...but he'll be fine.” Brian shrugged while he followed Matt's car into the far right lane. “He's had worse.”

“Who's driving?”

“Johnny, Matt's blacked out in the backseat.”

Terra felt light headed. She wasn't sure if it was from Brian's speeding, the blood he'd shown her or the news that Matt was unconscious.

“Earth to Terra!” She snapped out of her trance and looked at Brian's head. “Put your seat belt on, you're sliding all over the place.”

“I hadn't...noticed.”

“I'm gonna have you looked at too, I think you've got a hole in your brain or something...”

“At least mine is larger than a quarter...”

Brian sighed, but Terra saw his mouth twitch into a smirk for a total of one second. So he did have a sense of humor.