Status: Hiatus

My Soul to Keep

Found You

“Matt,” Jordan called with a start. “why don't you take Terra on a hike after breakfast? Show her the woods.”

Matt looked at Jordan confused before turning his attention to Terra, who was sitting in the living room. A smile threatened to show itself on his face, but he pushed it down.

“Why would she-”

“I know for a fact she wants to get out of the house.” Jordan put her towel she was using to dry the breakfast dishes down and stared at Matt. “I mean how long has it been since you've gotten a moment to stop and smell the roses?”

“I don't stop and smell the roses. When would I have time for that?”

“Right fucking now.” Jordan stated while tilting her face up to Matt. “You've got time right now. So grow a pair and take the girl outside.”

“Jor-”

“Terra! Matt's heading outside for some air, join him?”

“I hate you.” Matt whispered out before he turned his attention to Terra, who was approaching them. “Wanna tag along?”

“Yeah, it would be nice to go out.”

“Alright, let's take a little walk then.”

At first the pair walked in silence, just taking in nature and fresh air. The leaves were soggy from the rain that had fallen and the air carried a slight chill. Terra hug her arms around herself, thankful for her newly purchased jacket. They came to a part where trees lined the path on both sides.

“Are there animals out here?” Terra asked Matt turning her head towards the trees.

“Terra, it's the woods.”

“So there could be a mountain lion out there?” She whipped her head around when she heard the sound of Matt cocking his gun.

“There could be, but he'd better stay out there.” She flashed a small smile at him. “Never leave home without.”

The two resumed in silence for a moment before Terra grew tired of the thick silence.

“How did you end up in this...life?” Terra threw out suddenly.

“It's hard to say how I got here, but...my mother was mugged and beaten when I was about seventeen. I went and tracked the loser down, beat the shit out of him. I was one of those kids, take justice into my own hands.”

That answer satisfied her. “What would you be doing if you weren't wrapped up in all of this?”

“I've honestly never given it much thought. I've always been so focused on getting from one day to the next. I was in the army, but I don't think I'm exactly cut out for that life either.” Matt paused in his steps, causing her to look over at him quickly. “Why are you so interested in all this?”

“I want to know you.” She answered as if it should have been obvious.

Matt couldn't hide the small smile that crept onto his face. He took a step closer to Terra and stopped with just an inch between them. Her eyes snapped to his mouth and then back to his waiting hazel eyes. Just as he was about to speak, he heard the sound of glass breaking. He looked back in the direction of the house, they hadn't gotten far from Jordan's backyard. Matt grabbed Terra's arm and pulled her slightly behind him.

“Stay behind me okay?” Terra nodded, her face brushing the sleeve of his black pullover. He pulled his handgun out and checked the magazine, seeing the gleam of a ready bullet staring back at him.

They traced their steps back the way they had come. Taking it a bit slower as they came closer to the house. All looked fine at first, until Matt focused on the the windows. One of them had shattered inwardly and there was no movement that he could see.

“Jordan...” Terra breathed out in an almost whimper.

“Jordan!” Matt called out as he began to jog toward the house.