Status: Hiatus

My Soul to Keep

Green

Terra walked through the front door of her apartment completely exhausted from her long day. She closed the door behind her, turned the lock out of instinct, and kicked off her high heels. She tossed her briefcase down beside her and sighed as she fell down onto her plush couch. As she looked up at her tan colored ceiling, she could hear her phone ringing somewhere in her bag. She slowly sat up, grabbed her purse and began to dig for her iPhone. She pulled it out, but couldn't figure out whose number it was.

“Hello?” She answered cautiously.

“Hey Terra? It's Matt.”

“Oh, hey Matt. What's up?” She began to massage her left foot absentmindedly while she talked with him.

“I really expected to come back to the office today, but I got wrapped up in something else.” He sighed shortly into the phone before continuing. “Speaking of which, I need a second opinion on something.”

“Sure what's up?” Terra had abandoned her foot and tuned into his voice.

“I've got to meet a client tomorrow at this snobby Italian restaurant and I need a date. The woman I've been seeing is well...let's just say it's not her scene.”

“Why do you have to take a date?”

“He's bringing his wife, so it would just look better for me.”

“Oh, how about Whitney?”

“Whitney?! Why would I take her?!”

“She's head over hills for you, didn't you know?” Terra had to bite her lips to refrain her laughter.

“Everyone in the fucking office knows!” Matt paused for a moment. It shouldn't have been that hard to ask, but he found himself struggling to get the words out. “How about you instead?”

“Me?”

“Yes, you. What's wrong with you being my date? It's a professional setting and it's strictly business.”

“What exactly would I be doing?”

“Just chatting up the wife, I'll do everything else.”

“I suppose it couldn't hurt. Sure I'll go.”

“Thank you. I-”

“Owe me?”

“Yeah, yeah. It's formal, the only thing I ask is that you wear something green.”

“Why green?” Terra inquired with a wrinkled nose.

“The restaurant has themes on Thursday nights. Don't worry, I'll be wearing it too.”

“I'll do my best!”

[**]

“Did I mention how great you look?” Matt faced Terra with a soft smile on his face. They were waiting to be seated in a small line of formally dressed people.

“Yes. Again, thank you.” she eyed Matt and noticed he was fixing his tie again. “Here, let me help.”

She worked swiftly as she unfastened his green tie and tied it again. Smiling at her work, she looked up to his eyes briefly. His smile was no longer placed upon his face, but his eyes searched hers. Noticing her hands were still on his chest, she pulled away and faced forward again.

“Thank you.” Matt murmured before joining her and facing the front of the line. “I'm starving.”

“Me too.” Terra added rubbing her hands together.

“I hope the menu has good choices.”

“I'm more worried about the bill.”

“Don't be. I'm paying.”

“You're not paying for me.” Terra firmly stated while looking him in the eyes.

“Terra, I invited you. What kind of gentleman would I be to have you pay for yourself?”

Terra opened her mouth to argue, but was cut off by Matt speaking to a woman behind a podium.

“Sanders.”

“Party of four...”

“The other two are running a bit late.”

“Ah, right this way Mr. Sanders.”

Terra followed Matt as they were taken to a small table in the center of the room. She placed menus onto the table and then smiled at them.

“Can I get you and Mrs. Sanders anything to drink?”

“Red wine.” He smoothly continued on as if he hadn't heard, or was ignoring, the waitresses slip up. “Is that alright with you Terra?”

“Yes, red wine is fine.”

“Then I'll return momentarily.” As the woman left them, Terra looked over her menu at Matt who was grinning ear to ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Terra's Outfit