Status: work in progress

Perfect Storm

The L word.

“Hey babe, I know it’s late and you’re probably asleep but I wanted to let you know that we got here safe. Wouldn’t want you to worry, not that you are but I don’t know… I miss you already, who’s going to steal my covers and claim that since I’m a man I’m naturally warmer so I don’t really need them? Anyway, I…I miss you. I’ll call you tomorrow when we get back from practice, damn 3 hour time difference. Talk to you later Kaylee.” This is the voicemail I wake up to the day after he left for the west coast road trip. I’ve listened to it several times and every time I swear there is a hesitation in his voice like he wanted to say something else instead of ‘I miss you’. I wanted to call him as soon as I woke up, but considering that was 4am for him I didn’t, instead I listened to the voicemail a couple of times until Kristen yelled at me and told me to stop.

“Will you stop already!” she exclaimed when I looked at my phone for the millionth time, waiting for his call to come. “He’s at practice! He’ll call when he gets a chance.”

“It’s like 5 their time, maybe he forgot?”

“He didn’t forget. If anything he’s sleeping, you did keep him up late the other night. He’s probably still thinking about you in your lingerie.”

“Ok, that’s gross. He can think all he wants but when you say it…” I say with a shudder.

“Don’t be a drama queen, we’re probably more like sister than cousins, so I’m going to give you shit but you know that I love you more than anything else. Well, maybe not anything else, you can’t do certain things…”

“Please stop, your mind is taking this to a really creepy level. And as much as I love you, I can’t allow this to escalate any more than it already has” I reply cleaning up our dinner mess. She shakes her head and wipes off the counter where we had eaten while I start washing the dishes. I’m halfway through when my phone finally rings. I pick it up from the counter and see the goofy pic we took together and smile.

“Hey handsome” I answer walking from the kitchen to my office to sit in the oversized chair.

“Hello gorgeous. Sorry I didn’t call earlier, I laid down and next thing I knew it was after 8 for you.”

“It’s ok, you’re probably exhausted.”

“I am but I can’t sleep well here.”

“Horrible mattresses?”

“No, they’re like a cloud. It’s great but I’ve gotten used to sharing.”

“I’m sure you could cuddle with Geno” I jest, giggling when I hear him scoff. “I wouldn’t feel threatened if you cuddled with him.”

“You shouldn’t feel threatened at all” he whispers. “Kaylee I didn’t want to say this over the phone…”

“What?” I say holding my breath.

“The guys are going to give me so much shit for this…”

“For what?” I giggle.

“I love you Kaylee.”

“I love you too” I reply without hesitation as I hug my knees to my chest. I can’t stop smiling, he loves me too. I’m on cloud nine, no wait higher than that, cloud twelve.

“You do?”

“Of course I do! I wanted to say something before you left.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“I didn’t know how you felt. I was scared that I would scare you off” I admit, thinking back to past relationships where I fell for them way before they thought anything of me.

“I wish I was there right now” he sighs, I think in relief.

“I do too, but you have a game to play.”

“I do. I actually have to get down to the bus.”

“I’ll be watching, rooting you on handsome.”

“That makes me want to win even more” he chuckles.

“I love you Sidney.”

“Oh you saying that, greatest thing ever” I can hear his smile. “I love you too.”

“Go, before you miss the bus. Call me after the game?”

“It will be late” he says.

“I know, but I don’t care.”

“Alright. I’ll call you after the game. Talk to you later baby.”

“Talk to you soon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I suck at posting! I promise to have a second one up soon!

but in the mean time..please comment subscribe and recommend!