Status: work in progress

Perfect Storm

Breakfast set up

We’re sitting at the booth, Sidney and I on one side Kristen on the other, waiting for our coffee and Zack to arrive. I’m nervous for her, and she’s oblivious. Sidney takes my hand under the table and gives it a reassuring squeeze. I lean into his side, resting my head on his shoulder and I see Kristen’s face fall slightly. Then over her shoulder I see Zack, looking about as nervous as can be walk into the diner. I smile and say, “Isn’t that Zack?”

“Yea, it is” Sidney replies, “I invited him.” Kristen’s face goes from shock to happy, to anger in less than a minute.

“Why would you do that?” she asked trying to act indifferent.

“He’s a good guy, you seem to be a good woman” Sid shrugs. “Hey man, have a seat.”

“Thanks for the invite” Zack says taking the empty spot next to Kristen. I catch her intake of breath and the slow exhale, as if she’s relishing in his presence. “I’m kind of over oatmeal or cereal for breakfast.”

“There’s only so many times you can eat the same thing. Thankfully I met this wonderful woman and she can cook.”

“Apparently I’m a personal chef” I tease.

“Kay, you are pretty damn good at it. Way better than I am” Kristen comments.

“Zack you remember my cousin right?”

“Yea” he says as a faint blush creeps over his face. “I remember.”

We continue talking and joking around as we order and drink our coffee. I can’t help but smile at how relaxed they both become the longer we sit there. By the time the food comes Kristen is joking with Zack and can’t stop smiling. Sidney leans over to grab the bottle of syrup for his pancakes and kisses me on the forehead, a tiny gesture that makes me feel like all is right with the world, that I’m right where I am supposed to be.

“Zach, do you have plans for thanksgiving next week?” Sid ask.

“No, I’ll probably just stay home, watch football, order take out, that sort of thing” he answers.

“You will do no such thing” I say shaking my head. “Both my family and Sid’s will be in town, Kristen and I are cooking. You’re going to have dinner and watch football with us. Right Kristen?”

“Um yea, the more the merrier” she says after a minute, she looks at me like I’m crazy. She can’t cook much, and has never tried a big meal before.

“Kristen is more of the baker, her pecan pie is to die for” I add with a smile.

“I love pecan pie” Zach comments glancing towards her. “I think I might have to come just for that.”

“Don’t get your hopes up, I wouldn’t want to over sell it and it fall short of expectations” Kristen says.

“Too late, my expectations are high.”

“Alright, it’s all settled then, Thanksgiving at our place with the whole family” I say grabbing the bill before Sidney can and walk over to the counter to pay. However when I get about a yard away it’s taken from my hand. “Hey” I say turning around.

“You seriously think I’m going to let you pay?” he says pulling me into his chest.

“Sidney, I can buy breakfast.”

“I know you can. But I like taking care of you.”

“That’s great but I want to take care of you too.”

“You took care of me last night” he whispered with a smirk on his face. “If you want we can take care of each other later too.”

“You’re ridiculous” I say shaking my head, “Just let me pay for breakfast, you already said that I wasn’t going to be paying for thanksgiving dinner. Unless you want to let me pay for that instead.”

“You’re impossible” he laughs.

“You love it.”

“Correction, I love you” Sidney says kissing my forehead.

“I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so so so sorry that I haven't posted in a while things have been insane! I am working on the next bit too and plan to have it up within a week!

thank you all for the support!

please comment!