Status: work in progress

Perfect Storm

Press Conference

I’m a bundle of nerves as I walk with Sidney to the podium, but I’m also filled with such a huge feeling of support, with my parents, Sidney’s parents, and several other members of the penguin’s organization. I’m in a fog as I wait to take my turn in explaining what happened, this is the first time that I am publicly speaking about all of this, I just hope that they are receptive and that I can do it without breaking down. I snap out of it just in time to hear Mario introduce me after his statement and with Sidney beside me I take my place behind the microphone. I take a deep breath and Sid places his hand on the small of my back sending a wave of comfort through me. And I can speak.

“Hello, my name is Kaylee Kenley. I am a teacher here in Pittsburgh, but I am originally from Ohio where I was raised and attended college. During finals week, while attending school there, I was attacked on my walk home from the library. This was something that has haunted me for many years, mostly because I have very little memory of it except for small faint things here and there. Moving on from that was difficult but I managed to do so and have found myself in this city living my life with a man that you all hold so dear to you. Sidney and I were leaving one night after a game, and when he stopped to greet the young fans that awaited him, I went on to the car only to be stopped and berated by a man that neither of us had ever seen before. He said things that made me feel like I was worthless and a lesser person. When I chose to ignore him and continue walking, he grabbed my arm pulling me aggressively towards him, refusing to let go. At this point I felt as though I was transported back to college, back to feeling helpless and terrified. This is a feeling that no one should ever have to feel, woman or man, old or young. Harassment in any form should never be tolerated, and to skew the perception and appeal to the ignorance of those who do not know a story such as this, is a terrible way to show the city that it isn’t something that will ever be ok. I hope that no other person will ever have to feel as though they will be misrepresented after facing such a terrible and frightening situation. Sidney came to my rescue that night, making me feel safe and stopping what could have been much worse than it was. I am forever grateful that he was there, and I can only hope that there are more people out there, like him, that would stop a situation like this from happening to another person. I thank the Penguin’s organization as a whole for being supportive in dealing with this ordeal, I am beyond happy to be a part of such a wonderful family, one that looks after its own and those in their community that are in need. Thank you.”

I turn to Sidney, and he places a kiss on my forehead whispering, “You did great, baby” as we step to the side so he can say his piece.

“The amount of bravery it takes to stand in front of all these people and tell a story like this astounds me. And I’m not just saying that because I love her. When Kaylee first told me about what happened when she was in college it was after leaving the arena, I felt sick to my stomach. It was bad enough that this had happened here, but adding in her past experience made it all the more terrifying. As a man, a son, an older brother, and someday a husband and father, I never want anyone to have to go through what she did. When I asked Kaylee if she felt alright with me making a statement explaining that night she surprised me by insisting on telling her story. I asked her what made her want to speak up, and she said something that I will always admire. She said that she didn’t care about what people thought of her, that if it made a negative impact on her career or life in general that it didn’t matter, she would figure it out. What mattered was that if by telling her story she gave one person the courage to help stop someone from being attacked, or have the strength to know they would be ok, it would all be worth it. So here I stand, next to possibly the most courageous person I have ever met, asking you all to share this and possible help someone from feeling as she did. Thanks.”

I knew I had tears in my eyes by the time he was finished speaking. I didn’t feel brave or admirable. In fact I have never felt so humble. With Mario taking the podium back, laying out a new set of policies in regards to harassment and abuse, along with way that the organization is planning on helping those who need it when seeking help, Sid and I sneak off of the stage and out of sight for a minute. Away from the reporters, the team that came to support us, and our families.

“Holy shit, Sidney” I whisper, “I love you so much.”

“I love you too” he says pulling me into his chest, holding me close to him. We stayed like this for a little while without saying a word, mostly because we both knew that if this didn’t end things then we were out of luck. It was our last effort to make things right. Oh, and don’t forget that meeting each others parents happened too, right before the conference. Thinking about it, I let out a small chuckle. “What’s so funny?” he asked.

“Just today is the day that we meet the parents and we’re here” I can’t hold back the nervous giggle. “Nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Crosby, excuse me while I tell everyone here that I was assaulted. That’s why your sons face has been in the news punching a man in the street!” I say in a sarcastic tone holding back even more laughter.

“When you put it that way, it is a little funny” he says running his fingers through my hair. I love it when he does that, it relaxes and calms me but it also makes me feel desired. I can tell it relaxes him too, his shoulders ease slightly from his work mode posture. Mr. Serious. My Mr. Serious.

“Daddy likes you, I can see it in his face. Oh, he’ll play tough make you think you have to win him over for a while but he likes you” I say resting my cheek against his chest.

“Well that’s a sigh of relief” he chuckles.

“Right?” I take a deep breath in and relax even more in his arms. “We’re going to have to go rescue our families soon.”

“True” he replies not loosening his grip on me. “They can wait a few minutes though, right?”

“Of course” I whisper moving my head so I can look at him. “This moment right here, I wish is could freeze it. Forget what brought us here today and just enjoy who wonderful I feel in your arms, Sidney. I love you, so much.”

“I love you too” I whispers, holding my face gently in his hand. “I’m honestly really bummed that I don’t get to hold you in my arms tonight as we sleep. I have gotten so used to it I don’t know if I will be able to sleep.”

“I know, Kristen and I will have to cuddle tonight like the old days” I tease.

“Excuse me? You two cuddle?”

“Hahaha, yea I mean we’re practically sisters. It’s a platonic cuddle…our cuddles Sid, nothing platonic about it at all” I explain running my nails along the nape of his neck and in his hair.

“You’re not making this easier for me” he says clearing his throat.

“There is always the post dinner nap while football is on” I laugh. “Come on, I have a lot of food prep to do for tomorrow. We need to rescue our families too.”

“Ok, ok” he mutters before pulling my face closer and planting a kiss on my lips, one that erases any thought from my mind and leaves me breathless when he pulls away. “Let’s find the folks.”

It takes me a second to regain my senses as we walk through the halls towards the back entrance where I see not only our families waiting but at least half the team and their wives or girlfriends. I stop when I see them all turn to look at us. Sidney turns around and gives me a confused look, and then a smile when he realizes that I’m in shock of how many people, some I have never met standing there in support of us. I’m even more amazed by how they all give us hugs and offer words of encouragement and even praise for my ‘bravery’. Not that I would ever consider myself brave. I don’t even know who all was there by the time we leave, and as I drive I’m once again in awe of how close of a family the team is.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I had most of this written already, just made some tweaks and changes since the last post. Told you it was a bit heavier of content this time around. Let me know what you think!
I"m working on the next chapter now... as soon as I'm done and happy with it you all will have it too!