Status: work in progress

Perfect Storm

Someday?

Why am I so nervous to have dinner with him? It’s not like I’m nervous to see him; it’s more the not knowing what we’re going to say or do. I turn into the driveway and take a deep breath as I put my car in park, here goes nothing. I step out of my car and before I set foot on the porch the door swings open.

“Hey you” he says softly. “Dinner is in the oven.”

“Hi” I breath, stepping into his arms. I just hope that this isn’t the beginning of the end of us. “How was the rest of your day?”

“Great, this is one of my favorite days. Seeing the kids, making their Christmas just a little bit better” he explains. “But I think you know what I mean. Max.”

“He’s a great little guy. It’s a shame really…”

“It’s that bad? He looks pretty healthy” he comments as he leads us towards the living room.

“He’s been having a good couple of days. It’s not consistent though” I take a breath ready to explain a little more, depending on what he asks, or wants to know. “He’s been sick for a while, but he is getting better. Little by little.”

“And you know him through your brother, who you haven’t mentioned, at all” he states taking a seat next to me, close but not touching. It throws me a little, how he doesn’t sit closer or even try to touch me, I almost feel like I might cry already.

“Yes, I do have a brother. When he realized that I would be moving here his buddy contacted
Max’s mom, his wife, she helped me find my place, and then Max had a bad spell and I was there for them. She needed help, and I was here.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about him?”

“My brother? No news is good news with him, he’s a SEAL so is Daniel, Max’s dad. I try not to think about it otherwise I worry too much about his safety, Katie too. We rarely talk about it, but when we do it’s because we had a rare skype call or email from one of them. He’s my big brother…”

“Kaylee” he whispers finally pulling me towards him.

“Sidney, It’s just something that we don’t talk about, it causes needless worry. But I am immensely proud of him and Daniel. Max loves that his daddy is a SEAL, but he doesn’t have that extra person to make things easier.”

“Looks like he does.”

“I don’t count. I just go and read to him or play games. It’s nothing.”

“I call bullshit on that one.”

“Sid” I whisper, feeling my eyes water. I keep thinking about Canada, and how it feels like I will be left alone for the holiday.

“Hey, babe, what’s wrong?”

“Canada” I sigh, snuggling into his chest.

“Why are you upset about Canada?” he asks gently rubbing my back.

I just start letting it out probably in an incoherent babble, “I just, I wanted to spend it with you but then you randomly mention Canada. And it didn’t sound like I would be invited to come too. Then I remembered that my parents are going on a cruise, and Kristen is going to her side of the families, where I could go but I wanted to be with you. It threw me. You just mentioned it so casually that it sounded like you didn’t want me….”

“Whoa, of course I want you there.”

“You do?”

“Yea, I shouldn’t have just blurted it out like that, but Kay I want to spend Christmas with my family, do all the traditional things. Share them with you.”

“Yea? I want to see the traditions you have with your family, be a part of them. And have you be a part of mine. So maybe, we can make traditions of our own someday, a mixture of both our families.”

“Someday…”

“If things go the way I hope.”

“Is that why you wanted to go get a tree of our own? Starting new traditions already?”

“Well, yea, but if we’re going to be gone we probably shouldn’t.”

“Next year?”

“There’ll be a next year?”

“I sure hope so” he whispered, kissing my forehead. “Dinner, crap, I forgot about it.”

“Go, we can talk more later” I say sitting up so he can go to the kitchen. As I watch him walk out of the room I can’t help but think that we have managed to jump a hurdle, and possibly opening up a bit more to one another. Point is that I love him, and I want to know him better, and it seems like he wants the same. I smile and get off of his ridiculously comfy couch, heading into the kitchen, There I see him trying to make the food look good.

“I didn’t burn it I swear, the edges got a little crispy is all.”

“I’m sure it will be just perfect.”

“I hope so” he mutters as he inspects the meal. “I guess that it is all done. If we get food poisoning at least it will be together.”

“We’re not going to get food poisoning” I chuckle as I step beside him. Instantly his arm wraps around my waist, and his lips press against my forehead. I really do love this man, but there is so much left to talk about.