Status: work in progress

Perfect Storm

Favorite place

I can feel the warmth of Sidney beside me as I start to wake up. This is my favorite place to be, warm in our bed together, well my bed since we have our own places still. That’s probably going to have to change, with a baby on the way. His arms wrap around me, pulling me in closer to him.

“Good morning” he mumbles sleepily, his lips brushing my shoulder. I sig, content in his arms. “Why are you thinking so much already?”

I turn around to face him and ask, “How can you tell?”

“I just can, what is it?”

“Well, I really love being with you like this, all warm and cozy in bed.”

“But….”

I chuckle, “you know me too well. But, we don’t really live together. Kind of difficult to think about that and having a baby…”

“Oh, see I was thinking about that when you passed out in the middle of the movie last night.”

“Oh” I smile, “and what did you think about that particular topic?”

“Well, if we’re having a kid, and since we love each other, we should probably live together.”

“True” I smile, “but where? Your place, here, or somewhere new?”

“I don’t think mine is really good for a family, it’s been a bachelor’s place for all this time…”

“You could stay here but there really isn’t much room with Kristen in the spare room. We could turn my office into a nursery but it’s tiny and not made for that…”

“So we look?”

“I guess so yea. I’ll have to tell Kristen, honestly she can stay here, I mean I bought this place out, so there isn’t a payment on it at all. We can consider this a rental so to speak.”

“Should I call a realtor?”

“I guess so” I whisper resting my head on his chest.

“So I have something to tell you…” I say as Kristen and I sit at the table drinking our morning coffee, well tea for me. “I’m pregnant.”

“I knew it” she says calmly, a smile spread across her face.

“How did you know?”

“We’re synced, always have been and there were way too many tampons left in the box for the both of us the past two times. What are you like two three months along?”

“I don’t know how far I am yet, I just found out yesterday!”

“You have to be at least 2 months though.”

“When did you figure it out?”

“Yesterday, you never turn down shopping, and I started so when I grabbed a tampon I noticed there were a lot still…”

“I think Sidney and I are going to start looking for a bigger place for the two of us, well three I guess.”

“Again I thought maybe.”

“You can live here though; I’m not planning on selling.”

“Didn’t you use the money from grandma for it?”

“Not all of the money I have a good amount saved up still.”

“I’m not going to live here without paying you, consider me a tenant.”

“We haven’t moved out yet, but that works. I don’t know if I can handle someone else living here just yet. There are some many memories here, and I haven’t even lived here a year yet.”

“Yea, but how many of those memories involve Sid?”

“A good amount of them…”

“So it’s safe to say that you will have many memories to come.”

“Geeze when did you become so wise?”

“Ha! Me wise? That is the funniest thing I have heard all week!” she jokes. “When do you do back to the doctor?”

“I have to figure that out still. Sidney wants to be there but I want to make sure that it’s a private thing for us. I don’t want to make a big public deal about it. It’s a private thing, you know?”

“I get it. It’s special for the two of you…”

“And its aunt” I add. “Is it just me or does it feel weird calling it and it? I mean I don’t want to say the fetus, but it still doesn’t feel like a baby…I don’t know.”

“Yea, fetus is weird… don’t call them that.”

“I think that once we’re far enough along to know what we are having it will be different, and seeing and hearing a heartbeat will change things too.”

“It is a whole new experience.”

“It hasn’t sunk in yet. And it is definitely not the way I wanted to do things… I wanted the marriage, house and then baby thing. Now it’s all backwards.”

“Well, not everything goes the way we plan it to go. Life is messy, and unpredictable. Besides a baby with Sid is going to be one adorable kid” I laugh loudly, “seriously your, I mean our, genes alone are freaking phenomenal but add in a hottie hockey player, kid is going to be a knockout.”

“True” I chuckle. I love my cousin; she’s always been more of a sister over the years and she has always been there for me. Through everything I know that I can always count on her, no distance has ever changed that.