Status: 1st chapter is finally up

The Mark of the Infinite

I Wanna See Your Animal Side

This world was too similar to their Earth.

Sure, there were trees types that they had never seen before…well Gensel was the only who noticed that, the rest didn’t really care. They had barks and leaves, so they were just trees. They were more attentive of not getting flicked by random branches or stepping on deep puddles and mud then classifying trees.

It was too humid, making them sweat more and thus make them feel uncomfortable. Some wanted a shower…did they even have showers here? Well if they could sweat, and angels could wear suits and deal with the dead like professional businessman, then surely there has to be a shower in some…place here.

It didn’t seem like they were going somewhere. As far as their eyes could notice, it was all trees, trees, trees…and annoying bugs. One had just managed to get into Suriel’s mouth, and that’s when he couldn’t take it any longer. He spit it out, and then broke apart a branch in a sudden expulsion of anger. Luis was the only one who seemed content with the surroundings, managing them all through the forest, no matter the dirt or obstacle they found. In truth, they hadn’t really found anything different, and they were really starting to see this as hopeless.

“So were following you for what? To keep losing ourselves in the forest. There’s nothing out here!”

“There has to be if the sky is leading me somewhere.”

“What can the sky know?” even Gensel was getting frustrated, already having his jacket filled with all kinds of dirt and leaves, after just getting it…and it was so nice.

Rei had gone off track several times, and sometimes they would look back and not see him, having to stop and wait for him to catch up…or fetch him if he had gotten lost again. At least for now he was with them, as equally pissed, even sending a middle finger to the sky for apparently having them go through all that.

“Well the sky has to have a glowing line for a reason, let’s just keep going and see.”

They all groaned but continued onward, envying how relax Luis stayed at everything, and how he avoided much of the branches and dirt, his jacket as clean as they had given it to him.

Suriel noticed that the road will end soon, leading to a tree that covered much of the view with its extensive branches filled to the brim with lively green leaves. Nothing could be seen beyond it, only but the sky above, which now they noticed began to darken into late afternoon. How long had they been walking? They all though, trying to remember how the sky was earlier when they were left here by the two angels. With the dark and cloudy weather, it was hard to tell, but surely it must have been early morning, with the time they calculated they had taken to get here and find the sky as it was.

Luis moved forward and began moving the branches and leaves, expecting to find maybe a new view, maybe a river, ocean, just something different from all this, but nope, the same trees, heavy road and misty air. This time though, something had cached his eyes as he looked on forward. It was the ceiling of some sort of house, made of sticks and metals, on top of a wall of old cement. Luis could only spot a corner of it though, but felt intrigued to see more of it. He continued down the same road, the rest following behind, each taking their turn to spot that part of the building.

The rest found it rather intimidating, for it got bigger, revealing more of the house, as well as sounds of negative shouts and cheers. Luis still continued though, not seeming to care of the negative aspects, seeing as the line in the sky stopped at this place. For a large noise of people in the area, surprisingly they saw nobody outside. Whatever was happening inside was enough to take the attention of everybody in the area. Luis wanted to find an entrance, but all he met was an extensive wall, with only small little windows located at the top which let the sound of people come out. They must have been in the back, for it wasn’t really taken care of and there was no door to be found.

“Luis…Luis!” Suriel called out, before Luis could turn and find the front or any type of entrance.

He stopped to look back, no sense of fear in his face but curiosity, unlike the rest.

“What the hell are you trying to do? We don’t know what kind of people were going to meet!” he hoped it was enough to knock some sort of sense, maybe a way for them to find a better entrance without attracting much attention.

“The line in the sky stops here, maybe there’s something in here that we can do.” Luis made no stop, turning away from their sight, wanting to see what it was that this vision told him.

If he was their ‘map’, as well as part of their team, they had no choice than to follow ahead. Suriel just wished he could punch something if it was needed, while Gensel and Rei…just hoped they could run quick enough in this terrain. Once reaching the side of the building, the crowd of people was finally seen, not that many, but small groups each conversing their own. Different entrances and windows were opened, the same stale wall with no design, wallpaper or graffiti. It was odd to see such building without any of the characteristics that made it truly dangerous back in their world.

The people were dressed in different types of shirts, skirts or pants in black, like a uniform, although each their own symbol presented in some part of their clothing. Heavy chains and tattoos accessorized them, wild or colored hair that reminded them of a metal show. When they saw the four of them walk by, chuckles were exchanged, points of ridicule thrown at them. Most could tell when a person was new, the strongest hint, the fact that they still wore the initial jackets the angels gave to them when arriving to Eden. Yet Luis continued on without a care, while the rest could feel the heaviness of their stares, just wanting to continue their route elsewhere. People began to pack and pack, until there were too many to pay attention to them and they could move more quickly and confidently.

They were all heading to what they could tell was the main entrance, a small door opening in which they all came in, by pushing against others who crowded. They couldn’t stick together and soon enough they were all out of each other’s reach. They took their freedom in heading to whatever direction they wanted, but despite that, this crowd seemed to be staring at a single thing in particular. A stage there was, in the very center, down in a floor below them, others surrounding an old wooden platform, only two people standing at either side.

All four of them had a clear view from high, near the rails that held the group back from falling down to the deep ground. While the rest were stuck in the crowd, trying to see what they could by jumping or looking between two people stuck together or whatever view they could provide, Suriel managed to get to the very front of it, holding to the rusty metals to keep him in place. He got there by simply pushing as the rest did, and out of it he got, luckily, a great view. He could only spot Rei, who was tightly holding to the bag, glaring at anyone who even gave it a wayward glance. Luis and Gensel were lost to him. He noticed movement in the stage, a third figure making her way to stand on the stage swiftly, seeming to glide to the very middle, catching the eyes of all who were there. She was dressed as darkly as the rest, extending her arms, earning even more roars and shouts from the crowd. She clap her hands, loudly and strong enough that it literally made the room shake and tremble, as if it was bowing to her only.

“Now, presenting the 10th battle of the day, with Rosalia Engberg of team Egg Nog, Speed Soul, 59,860 points.” She pointed over to the girl at one end, a certain group in the crowd going crazy. Surely her team. “And Daniel Holst of team Nokia, Air Soul, 32,018 points.” And it went the same way as she pointed to the male. “Same as the rest, battle it all until you manage to throw the other off the stage. The price for this match is…” she looked up to the balcony above, to a clear area that Suriel had not noticed until now.

A single man sat over a long and tall comfy couch, gazing over at all his surroundings like a hungry king. He had his fingers intertwined, head leaning on them, looking over to some other men who held small metal boxes. Each offered a box for him to see, until finally he sent a message to the announcer, who quickly got it and continued.

“5,000 points!” and the crowd went in an uproar.

The two competitors had not mind this, they were more eager, anything they could use to attack being set ready.

“Is that a lot?” Suriel found himself asking.

“For a challenge like this, indeed.” Someone at his side answered, much more calmed compared to the rest of the people around him, who never ceased to stand still.

“He usually only gives a single thousand, Carlos must have been impressed with one of their fighting styles in the earlier challenges.”

“Carlos?” he questioned, gazing over at this man expecting all the answers he could get at the moment.

“He’s the leader of the guild.” He looked over to him, sitting more comfortably at his chair, ready to watch the fight begin.

“Founded it, creates most of the challenges in this area, hands in the points, decides who joins or not, the usual guild leader things.” Suriel looked around him, the people and the structure of the building.

Just as it was outside, grey, dark, looking like it would fall apart with only a couple of small wood columns, and wasted old pieces of cloth to cover any imperfections or holes left from who knows what.

“This is a guild?” the stranger nodded.

“Gold Trash, never heard of it before?” he sounded quite surprised on that.

By this point, Suriel though it was best to tell him. Yet he did not know of the reactions one was to get when one was new here. Would he help? Would he scoff and move away?

“I’m…” he pointed over to his jacket. Despite a speck of dirt and an occasional scratch, it was shining new compared to the rest who were there.

“Just got dropped off recently huh?” he smirked.

Suriel nodded, hoping now indeed he would continue, which he did, not seeming to mind.

“Well, you’re lucky to find one of the best guilds in the area.” He didn’t say much more with the fight in the arena finally starting.

A loud bell announced it, the announcer was off the stage and already they ran off against each other. Although one of them was air, it was in the end a speed challenge, which could be quicker when using their attacks or defenses. It was hard for Suriel to take it all in, for there were moments they seemed to disappear in their quickness. The only one he could notice was the boy, when occasionally he stopped to breathe in, then quickly going back to the rhythm of the fight. How could anyone continue to watch, chanting as if their every kick, punch or swish of power was seen clearly? Shouts of ‘In the head!’ ‘The heel!’ ‘Grab her arm!’ ‘The tornado!’ ‘Friction’ were given to the both of them, the whole crowd helping in to the victory of either of them. To Suriel, it was hard to pay attention to them, as so that something else caught his attention.

A woman walked across the upper arena, watching the challenge unfold with not a look of interest in her eyes. She walked so steadily, ready, anyone near here giving her just the space she needed to watch and walk. No one really paid much attention to her, despite the clear white clothing she wore, suited and heels hitting strongly to the pavement, her presence strong yet despite how she was ignored for the battle below. She was a deep contrast to all the dark colors in the room. She reminded him too much of the angels who he saw earlier…what if?

“Who is she?” he asked yet again, clearly pointing to her figure.

Even if everyone paid no mind to her, she was clearly seen and distinguished, making her easy to spot in the darkness.

“Xaymara, she’s the assigned angel for the guild.” Clearly she was.

She had the uniform, but different from Angelo, George and Ashley, there were badges in her suit, shinning prideful on the side of her chest.

“Assigned Angel?”

“Yes, every guild is assigned one, just to make sure all the challenges are fair and lawful as declared by the angels.” It seemed that just passing humans from Earth to Eden wasn’t enough.

He noticed that just as she was to make a turn to another side of the crowd, someone had come close to her, seeming friendly, placing an arm around her, getting too close that surely it would come as annoying. Xaymara didn’t waste a moment on taking his arm, twisting it, and using a simple light spell to push him off as far away from her as possible and she continued onwards then like nothing had happened, her same judging eyes and proud walk. Did everything here served to be a spectacle?

There was a bang, one that even made him slightly stumble, and so as many by his side. Their cheers and applauses continued, Rei had managed to fall, and Gensel hung off from Luis, luckily avoiding the ground. Once Suriel made sure that the ground wouldn’t shake as it did, he looked to the stage once more, only the boy with the wind soul standing. The girl was being held by a group who managed to catch her, but the force had been so strong that they all piled to the ground…but at least the girl was laying upon them comfortably as if they were her bed. No harm came to her, only the loss of the challenge. The boy raised his hands in triumph, the crowded shouting along with him like a shared victory.

With the crowd growing, pushing and pulling, Suriel lost the man with his answers. Enough of this, he should find the rest. Since Rei was still in his eyesight, it was easier to go to him. With the crowd wanting to get closer to the rails, the back finally had enough space for him to move, to pull Rei with him, finally being able to breathe and move all his body as he wished without the fear of hitting someone and getting himself into trouble. Now, where were Gensel and Luis? The both of them seemed to have noticed them, appearing from the crowd, having to push between small spaces until they were free. They all felt so relieved.

“Why did we come here again?” Gensel asked, honestly wanting to leave already.

What could they do here? They were only but beginners, and the challenges they showed were far from their capacity. They glared over at Luis, the one who even brought them here.

“The stuff in the sky lead me here.” He though it could be of a good enough excuse for them not to get so mad with him.

“I ask again, why are we here?” Gensel repeated himself.

“Maybe were supposed to be part of this.” Luis wasn’t convincing enough when just part of the ceiling fell near them and then a rather large guy passed them, huffing and with his buff arm displayed the number ‘1,056,040,234’.

“Were leaving.” Suriel had declared, already heading to the door, Rei and Gensel having no problem with that, ready to go along with him.

“This is probably the closest thing we have, I didn’t see anything else being pointed out at, are we really going to risk it out there? Not knowing what we can meet, with our points so low.” Still, this place was rather horrifying. “Maybe they have something we can do here, anything, just a place we can return to and know in the meantime. I promise if I see something else, we’ll leave and go there instead.” He did have a point. And although they would have rather go somewhere else, it was either this or the dirty woods and biting bugs.

“So…what do we do? Talk to someone? Beg?” Rei didn’t agree with staying here, had him holding tighter to the bag, any passerby a threat on taking his bag away.

Suriel couldn’t find the guy who had earlier answered most of his questions and none of these people seemed like they could help them. He gazed over to the leader, now talking to the many that were holding those metal boxes earlier. He noticed that a clear place was set for him. No one dared come close to him. Everyone passed by and didn’t even meet his eyes. Well, if they were going to ask someone, surely it wouldn’t be him. Then there was the angel girl, who was immerse in the crowd, talking to the winning group, more and welcoming to any other advances that came…as long as they were friendly.