Midnight Storm

01

It was a stormy night making it perfect for a horror movie. I sat on the couch with my blanket pulled up to my chest as my eyes stayed locked on the screen. Lightning flashed through the window just as a girl screamed in the movie, causing me to jump a little. My eyes darted to the window to for a brief second to see lightning, flinching as the loud boom came seconds later. My eyes fell back to the television since I was trying to ignore the storm.

Most people would be more afraid of watching horror movies at night, but not me. I was terrified of storms. Every time it would storm, I would watch a horror movie because it felt more thrilling to me. It would also distract me from what was happening outside.

My heart was pounding as I watched the girl go down the stairs. Even though I hadn't seen the movie, I knew what was going to happen. Horror movies were always predictable. Her hand shakily opened the door as a loud knock came. I jumped a little before realizing that someone was knocking on my door. Confusion set in as I tried to figure out who would be at my house at such time and in this weather.

I got up after pausing the movie and slowly walked to the door. I was a bit cautious as I stood in front of the door. Only the door was separating me from whoever was on the other side. It was then I realized it could be anyone. What if it was a murderer? My mind began racing with what I should do. I had seen enough movies to know that opening the door was a stupid idea. In fact, it was a very stupid idea. A part of me knew I shouldn't do it, but the good part of me told me to do so. What if it was someone in danger or in need of help? I would feel bad if I later saw they died on the news.

I took a deep breath as I reached for the door knob. I told myself over and over that this was stupid as I slowly opened the door. As the door opened the lightning lit up the sky to reveal a man with dark hair soaking wet from the pouring rain. He was staring down at his feet, not realizing the door was even open.

"Can I help you?" I asked quickly, realizing that I sounded a bit rude. Then again it was late at night and he could have woke me up, so what did he really expect?

"I'm looking for a place to stay. Mine blew up." His eyes met mine and I began to panic. Was this guy serious? Who goes to someone's house asking for a place to stay because their's blew up? What kind of lie was that even?

"Um, sorry. I don't have any room," I lied as I went to close the door. His foot blocked it and I glanced back up at him with fear in my hazel eyes.

"Please? Just for tonight and I will be gone tomorrow," he pleaded.

"I'm sorry-"

"I will be gone by morning." I let out a sigh. He wasn't going to give up.

I let him in before switching on the living room light. This was a bad idea. I knew I shouldn't have let a stranger in my home, a persistent one at that. I would probably be dead by morning and he would be long gone.

"Thank you," the stranger spoke, catching my attention again. I began walking towards the couch where my cell was. If he tried anything I was going to call the police

"Why are you thanking me? You pretty much just pushed your way into the house," I muttered, grabbing my phone before glancing at him.

Now that he was inside and a light was on, I could get a better look at him. His dark hair was sticking in all directions from running his hand through it since coming inside. Water droplets were dripping from his hair and trailing down his face which had a few bruises. He had stubble on his face as if he hadn't shaved in a day or two, while his blue eyes were sunken and bloodshot as if he hadn't slept in days. His wet shirt stuck to his body underneath his leather jacket. The bottoms of his jeans and shoes were covered in mud. I inwardly groaned seeing that he was tracking mud into my house. However, his story was beginning to seem more believable with how he looked.

"Stay right there, I'll get you a towel," I mumbled before heading towards the bathroom. I came back with the towel before throwing it towards him. He had quite an intimidating look, so I was still leery of him.

"Thanks," he mumbled before drying off. I watched as he took his shoes off and did his best to clean what mud he tracked in. For some reason I thought it was adorable. I kept my eyes on him as he shrugged off his jacket. When he began taking his shirt off I glanced away so I didn't seem like a creep, even though he was the one stripping in my house.

"So, what exactly happened to you?" I asked as I went back to sit on the couch. If he planned on staying here, then I deserved to know. It only seemed fair.

"Exactly what I told you. My place blew up," he answered casually as if this was a common thing. I was beginning to wonder what kind of madman I had let in my house and was debating on calling the cops.

"Yeah, I heard you the first time. Question is how did it blow up?" I asked in hopes of getting some answers.

"It went kaboom," he answered as he took the chair next to the couch. He was shirtless and had his jeans rolled up so the mud wasn't getting on anything. I probably would have laughed if it was for the fact that my eyes were tracing his perfect upper body.

"No shit," I said before my eyes met with his. "Maybe I should have asked why? So, why did your place go kaboom!?"

"Someone wanted me dead. I don't think they even know I made it out alive," he answered with seriousness. I stared at him dumbfounded. Someone wanted him dead and his first thought was 'hey, let's go to someone's house'.

"Are you kidding me?" I screeched. "What if they followed you here? Why didn't you call the police? What mess have you dragged me into?!"

"No, I'm not kidding. They didn't follow me, and I can't call the police." I couldn't understand how he seemed so calm about all this.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and began dialing 911. Just as I was about to hit the call button the guy took my phone from me. "Hey, give that back!"

"You can't call anyone. The police aren't going to help me. If someone wants me dead, I would much rather them not know I am alive yet," he told me, making a good point. I let out a sigh before muttering a 'fine'. He handed the phone back before taking his spot back on the chair.

"Who are you anyway? And why does someone want you dead?" I questioned even though I'm sure I didn't want to know why.

"Derek Hale, and everyone has a reason to want someone dead." I frowned since he didn't exactly give me a reason why someone would want him dead, but I guess it was better if I wasn't too involved. "And you?"

"Nobody wants me dead." I rolled my eyes even though I knew he was asking for my name. "Riley."

"Well Riley, I'm sorry to intrude and I will be out of here in the morning. Nobody followed me, believe me I would know, so you are safe." I just raised a brow at him. What would he even do if they did come here? Seems like he was currently on the run.

"Let's say you were followed. What would you do then? Keep running? Would they kill me?" These were answers I needed to know.

"I wasn't followed, and I would do what I had to do in order to survive. They also wouldn't kill you." Well, at least that was good to know. I would live and they would probably destroy my house trying to kill this guy.

"So, you are saying that whoever wants to kill you won't kill me even though you are in my house?" I rushed out as I tried to put all this together in my head.

"Correct. They don't have a reason to kill you."

"Why do they have a reason to kill you?" I felt like a child who asked too many questions and it was obvious it was beginning to annoy Derek.

"Let's just say they don't like me." Of course Derek was keeping it short and simple.

"Why?"

"Because they don't."

"Are you part of a gang?"

"No."

"Are you sure?" I narrowed my eyes at him in suspicion. If he was, I sure as hell didn't want any part of this.

"Yes."

"You're not going to tell me the real reason they are after you are you?" I asked as I pouted.

"No."

It was silent between us as he stared out the window to watch the lightning. Rain was pounding against the roof and I let out a sigh. I was tired, but didn't want to sleep since a wanted stranger was in my house. I still didn't completely trust him. If someone wanted him dead they probably had a good reason.

"Can I asked you something else?" His eyes moved from the window to me as he began glaring. "Great," I said, knowing I had his attention. "When exactly did your house blow up?"

"Three days ago," he answered as if he was bored and tired of me already.

"And you've been running ever since?" He nodded. "How come I didn't hear anything about it on the news?"

"I'm not from here."

"That explains a lot." I knew I had never seen him before, and living in a small town I would have heard about someone's place blowing up. Actually, I would have probably heard the explosion.

I finally decided it was time to go to bed. Derek didn't seem like he was going to kill me in my sleep, at least I was hoping he wouldn't. He looked tired as well and knew he could use the rest.

"Um, I'm going to bed. You can sleep on the couch," I told him as I stood up, turning off the t.v. since the movie was long forgotten.

I went to my room to grab a few pillows for him and another blanket. After giving him the stuff, I locked the front door before turning off the light. "Bathroom is down the hall, first door on the right," I let him know as I began walking to my room. "And you can stay here for a couple of days as long as you don't draw attention to yourself."

When I got into my room I made sure to lock the door just in case. I'd probably wake up if he tried to get in. My phone was staying next to me as well since I was just a bit paranoid that someone would kill me. I got in bed and placed my phone on the pillow next to me before going to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I will have chapter 2 up later today (the chapter which I had to rewrite half of), and chapter 3 will be finished later hopefully. It's going to be a 4 shot I believe. I just need to finish writing. I also apologize if this isn't finished before the contest ends. I do plan on finishing it.