From Fat to Skinny

September 2, Tuesday

I introduced myself and it went a little like this:

Me: “Hi.”

Her: “Hey. You're the one who always plays center-forward?”

Me: “Uh. Yeah. And you are?”

Her: “The right wing-back.”

Me: “No, like, your name. I'm Marcus Midler.”

(If she was embarrassed, it didn't show. I'd like to be able to just brush off embarrassment like that.)

Her: “Chloe, Chloe Ricci.”

So her name is Chloe, and she does a great Bond impression. I really didn't expect that her name would be so. . . girly. Maybe a Sam or an Alex. A tomboy name, you know? Not something so ridiculously feminine it really doesn't suit her at all. She goes by her last name nine times out of ten, though. Ricci sounds identical to Ricky, and that fits so much better.

Yeah. So, today since we were destroying the other team, Ms. Severance split Ricci and me apart. (We are unequivocally the best players in class so the teams were pretty uneven to begin with.)

I've never played against her and damn. No wonder we were destroying the other team. She can be on one end of the field one minute and then the ball gets loose and suddenly she's right on you, snagging the ball away.

It was my most grueling physical education class yet. It was fucking awesome.