Let Bygones Be Bygones (2 of 3)

Of Orcs and Dwarves

“I say we should leg it, slip out the back way” Nori suggests, his shoulder is grabbed by Dwalin, who protests the idea of fleeing on account of his pride. “I am not running from anyone, beast or no”
“We wouldn't be able to get far anyway, you all saw the speed of the bear, if we run either him or the orcs will run us down” I say trying to reason with Nori and Dwalin who are about to start arguing.
“There is no point in arguing, we cannot pass through the wilderland without Beorn's help, like Chase has already said we will be hunted down before we even get to the forest. Bilbo, there you are. Now, this will require some delicate handling” Gandalf says shimying through the company towards the door. “We must tread very carefully, the last person to have startled him was torn to shreds” Beorn can be heard chopping wood out the back where he has been since the early hours of the morning, he hadn't harmed us while we slept so maybe that's a good thing..? “I will come first and Bilbo, you'll come with me” Gandalf says pointing at the Hobbit. Bibo stammers and shimmies through the crowd of Dwarves at the door “I... Is this a good idea...?” The hobbit asks reluctantly as he moves towards the wizard.
“Yes, now the rest of you just wait here and don't come out until the signal”Gandalf says ushering the Burglar through the door.
“Right, wait for the signal” Bofur says from behind the group, I hadn't realised he was at a window watching the large man outside all this time. “And no sudden movements, or loud noises, and don't overcrowd him, only come out in pairs” He's about to leave but turns back as Bombur eats a carrot “Oh actually Bombur you count as two so you come out alone” Bombur nods and grunts quietly in reply “Remember, wait for the signal” he says as he leaves
“What signal would that be?” Bofur asks just a little late, Gandalf and The hobbit have already left the building, we all look around unsure of what the signal is, some of the Dwarves who are smiling end up looking just as confused as the rest of us.
I go over to Bofur to look out of the window to see what happening, I can't stand just standing idly by.
Gandalf and Bilbo are walking slowly towards the rather large man, I hear Bilbo comment that Gandalf is nervous, and I would have to agree, he does seem less composed than normal. He greets the large man twice before he turns around and asks who he is. There's a little bit of talking, Gandalf being ever so polite but the towering man looks less than happy. Bilbo has been hiding behind Gandalf all this time and when Beorn asks about him he holds his axe ready to attack and asks if he's a dwarf. I move away from the window and to the door, quickly, in case he's not convinced that the Hobbit is, in fact, not a dwarf. I feel someone place their hand on my good shoulder firmly holding me back in case I was about to run out. I turn around noticing that it's Dwalin.
“There it is, go, go, go” Bofur says quickly, Dwalin and Balin move past me and out into the garden and Beorn raises his axe and he sees the two dwarves. Gandalf manages to talk him down, but the large man still looks displeased. “Next two, go” Bofur says as Oin and Gloin now exit.
“And here are some more of out happy troop” Gandalf says in a semi cheery way
“And do you call six a troop?” Gandalf chuckles a little trying to lighten the mood “What are you a travelling circus?” Beorn asks not in the best of moods.
Bofur signals two more to go so Ori and Dori take their leave of the house and join the others outside, Dori introducing them both. “At your service” he says bowing politely
“I don't want your service” the arge man says fed up of all the dwarves in his home.
Bofur tells Fili and Kili to go and they walk out.
“Right, now the rest of us” Bofur says running over to us and he, myself, Nori, Bifur and Bomber stand with the rest of the company. Bofur grabs a bib off Bombur to try and hide the fact that he's been eating.
“Is that it?” Beorn asks asks looking between the wizard and the rest of us. “Are there anymore?” he asks as Thorin walks out. Beorn has a look of recognition on his face when he sees Thorin. After a long silence the large man grumbles and suddenly embeds his axe in the stump before walking towards the house, the dwarves part as he gets to them and he enters his home.
“Gandalf?” Bofur says unsure what to make of what just happened. “Is that a good thing”
“I would say so” the wizard says looking rather relieved

The Dwarves follow into the house after Gandalf and Beorn, he's put a few bowls and mugs on the table. The dwarves look to Gandalf who nods and sits down on one of the chairs and the dwarves soon make themselves comfortable.
“So you are the one they call Oakenshield. Tell me, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?” Beorn asks as he fills up mugs with milk for the dwarves.
“You know of Azog? How?” Thorin asks the now surprisingly hospitable man.
“My people were the first to live in the mountains, before the Orcs came down from the north. The Defiler killed most of my family, but some he enslaved.” it's then when I notice the remains of manacles his left wrist and he holds the milk jug. “Not for work, you understand, but for sport. Caging skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him.” he explains before pouring milk into Ori's mug.
“There are others like you?” The ever inquisitive Bilbo asks, interested in his story.
“Once, there were many.” Beorn says sorrowfully.
“And now?” Bilbo asks, as if the answer was not clear already.
“Now, there is only one.”
One of the white mice that are crawling around starts to crawl over my hand, I smile and pet the little creature. Picking it up and letting it crawl over both of my hands, smiling as I see it's little nose moving as it sniffs me.
“You need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn?" Beorn asks looking at Gandalf.
“Before Durin’s Day falls, yes.” Gandalf says nodding and smoking his pipe. Beorn sits down in a very intricately carved chair.
“You are running out of time.” Beorn states
“Which is why we must go through Mirkwood.”
“A darkness lies upon that forest. Fell things creep beneath those trees. There is an alliance between the Orcs of Moria and the Necromancer in Dol Guldur. I would not venture there except in great need.”
“We will take the Elven Road. That path is still safe.”
“Safe? The Wood-Elves of Mirkwood are not like their akin. They’re less wise and more dangerous. But it matters not.”
“What do you mean?” Thorin asks
“These lands are crawling with Orcs. Their numbers are growing, and you are on foot. You will never reach the forest alive.” Thorin looks worried. Beorn stands and starts walking towards Thorin “I don’t like dwarves. They’re greedy and blind, blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own.” Beorn picks up a mouse that had been scampering on the table and holds it, all the while approaching Thorin. who is standing with his arms crossed. “But Orcs I hate more. What do you need?”
“Horses, and whatever you can spare to get us to the forest” Gandalf says.
Beorn nods “Wait here” he says and leaves the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, sorry it's so short, I can't promise I'll upload a chapter a day, but I can promise I will upload a chapter whenever I can, thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy. Please leave a comment or message me to let me know what you think, it would be appreciated to get feedback.