Let Bygones Be Bygones (2 of 3)

Not so 'Greenwood'

I leave the house quietly, without being seen, while the dwarves talk amongst themselves. I smile as I look around at Beorn's garden, it's a peaceful place, the bees are zipping around back and forth, but no less tranquil because of them. I spot Bilbo out of the corner of my eye and walk over to him.
“I see you have been able to sneak away too, Master Baggins” I say softly, smiling.
He chuckles a little “Aha,” He nods “Yes, I wanted to look around Beorn's garden before we leave, it is... An amazing place. So peaceful...” he says sighing contented as he looks around smiling. “Huh” Hesays as he spots something and starts walking over to it, picking it up off the floor. I follow him curiously.
“Bilbo?” I ask before I notice him smiling at a little acorn that he's picked up. I smile at my friend as he looks at me while putting the little acorn in his pocket.
“I think, I'm going to plant this back in my garden at home, a memento of our journey and the friends I've made” he says softly.
I can't help but smile, he finds such joy in the small things in life. Who knew such a small Hobbit could have such a big heart. I for one never would have known if I had never met Bilbo. I may have had my doubts about this journey when we first set out from the Shire but now things seem to be getting better, Thorin for one is being more pleasant, and it makes everything seem that much better.

We mount up on the horses that Beorn is letting us borrow, some of us have to share since he doesn't just happen to have sixteen horses, one for each of us. Bofur and Gloin share a pony. Fili and Kili share, and myself, I share with Thorin, at his insistance.
A bird squawks as it flies off. That's not just any bird though. I'm almost certain it's Crebain.
We're all waiting for Gandalf who is talking to Beorn in the woods, just out of earshot, seeing as I am further away than the others.
“Gandalf. Time is wasting” Thorin says to the Wizard.
Gandalf is about to walk over to us but Beorn starts to talk again causing him to turn back to face the skinchanger. More squawking is heard “Go now. While you have the light.” A howl is heard and Gandalf makes his way over to us.
“Your hunters are not far behind” Beorn says as Gandalf quickly mounts and sets his horse into a trot.

It's past midday by the time we get to what was formerly the Greenwood, now a brown and black, dead-looking forest with twisting trees and overgrown vines. I see now why they call it Mirkwood.
Gandalf dismounts and walks into the edge of the forest under an ancient elven archway.
We're all simply sitting on the horses waiting to see what Gandalf says, he knows where we're going after all. I realise I'm holding onto Thorin rather snugly, resting my head on his back, I don't know how long I have been like this, I hope not long. I've never really liked riding on the same horse behind someone, I always feel like I'm going to fall off, but this time wasn't about feeling like I am about to fall, I'm starting to think back to sixty years ago, when Thorin and myself were quite close... But that was a long time ago, another life.
“Here lies our path through Mirkwood.” Gandalf says turning around to face us. I lift my head as I hear Gandalf speak and upon realising how I am holding Thorin I dismount and walk towards Gandalf feeling a little aghast that I let myself behave like that, and even more surprised that he hadn't said anything. I look past the wizard to the forest, An unpleasant feeling looms over the forest. It feels almost like I'm fighting myself, a crushing sensation weighing down on my chest and clouding my senses. It's like an uncontrollable anger caged inside and trying to get out, clawing at the walls screaming without being able to make a sound. While staring at the path through the trees it's almost as if they start to move and close in around me.
“No sign of the Orcs. We have luck on our side.” Dwalin says before dismounting. Taking me out of my thoughts and causing me to look away from the forest, I am breathing fast and heavily, I look around thankful no one was looking at me, I hope no one had seen my reaction to the forest, I felt like I was going mad.
“Set the ponies loose. Let them return to their master.” Gandalf says, as I look over to him I notice he was looking in the distance. I look to where he was looking and notice Beorn as a bear, no doubt protecting his ponies.
“This forest feels...sick, as if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?”
“I agree with Master Baggins. Do say that there is a different way we can go, one that does not involve going through the forest, there's an unpleasant aura about this place. A dark magic... We should not take this path unless we have no other choice”
“Not unless we go two hundred miles north, or twice that distance south.” Gandalf says as he starts walking into the forest a little further.
“And we can't afford any more delays” I say quietly to myself. I sigh and I look around away from the forest the dwarves are taking our supplies off the ponies and unsaddling them, trotting off when they are. I feel a sickly feeling in my chest and I sit on the grass facing away from the forest, it is going to be one hell of a trip through the forest, it's already messing with my head.
“Are you alright?” Bilbo asks softly walking over to me
“Hmm? Oh yes, yes, I'm fine, thank you Bilbo, I'm just not best pleased that this is the path we have to take. It feels wrong...” I say honestly.
Nori is just about to unsaddle Gandalf’s horse when he protests
“Not my horse! I need it.” As Gandalf strides forward, we all look at him shocked.
“Gandalf?” I say as I stand up quickly, looking at the wizard in confusion and surprise, wondering what the problem is.
“You’re not leaving us?” Bilbo says dismayed.
“I would not do this unless I had to.” Gandalf says looking at both me and the hobbit with regret.
Something is wrong. More wrong that this forest, what could be so dire that he would have to leave us?
Gandalf looks at Thorin, then turns and looks at a dejected Bilbo.
“You’ve changed, Bilbo Baggins. You’re not the same Hobbit as the one who left the Shire.”
So that he can talk to the Hobbit I go and gather a few of the supplies. I catch a glance of Thorin through the corner of my eye and I look over at him as he is also collecting a few supplies to carry. He seems to notice me looking and looks over at me. I feel my face flush and I nod quickly turning away, thankfully Gandalf starts speaking.
“I’ll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe.” He turns and looks at Thorin “Do not enter that mountain without me.” Gandalf says as he looks hard at Thorin and then continues to his horse.
“This is not the Greenwood of old. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion. It will seek to enter your mind and lead you astray. There is a stream in the woods that carries a dark enchantment. Do not touch the water. Cross only by the stone bridge.” Gandalf says, a warning that has come a little late since I have already experienced slight illusions.
“Lead us astray? What does that mean?” Bilbo asks as Gandalf gets on his horse.
“I think it means we're going to be hallucinating” I reply to the Hobbit's question
“You must stay on the path; do not leave it. If you do, you will never find it again.” Gandalf warns
Gandalf wheels his horse and rides away.
“No matter what may come, stay on the path!”
Thorin starts walking into the forest
“Come on. We must reach the mountain before the sun sets on Durin’s Day.” he says causing us all to follow after him.
“This is our one chance to find the hidden door.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all, I hope you have enjoyed this chapter and I wish you all a pleasant 2015.