Let Bygones Be Bygones (2 of 3)

The Dwarves of Erebor

I look for Bilbo and catch up to him. “I do not like this plan” he says as we're sneaking through the back-streets.
“What 'is' the plan, I haven't been told yet” I ask in a whisper.
“We're 'borrowing' weapons from the city armoury” he says with emphasis
“What?” I ask raising my voice a little “We're stealing weapons?” Since we're at the back of the group, a little further behind the dwarves no one can hear my surprise other than Bilbo.

We're all now stopped just around the corner from the armoury waiting for guards to pass and I quietly make my way over to Thorin
“As soon as we have the weapons, we make straight for the mountain. Go, go, go!” Thoris says to some of the dwarves
Nori passes Thorin and turns around the corner.
“Next.”
I get to Thorin who has just sent Bilbo around the corner.
“Thorin, I am not very comfortable with this plan. Stealing from these people, is that what we've been reduced to?” I ask as I look around the corner to see the pyramid of dwarves and Bilbo climbing through a window
“What else would you have us do?” he asks motioning for Fili and Kili to go next.
I would suggest asking for help, but he would not even consider it so I simply nod.
“Stay here and keep a look out with the others” he says nodding his head to the few dwarves who are not going into the armoury. I look back at the small group and Thorin follows the brothers.

I can hear a few slight clangs as we wait for them to return, the sounds are inaudible to human ears but then there is a terrible clanging noise, and we all look around hoping the sound wasn;t heard by anyone else, but the watchmen can be heard shouting and footsteps fast approching.

“Run!” Dori shouts and without a second thought we all start to run.
But before we can get more than five steps away from the armoury we're surrounded by guards pointing pikes at us.

We get lead off by the guards towards the centre of the town, to the Master's house. People start to exit their houses and follow the guards to find out what is going on, soon it's like the whole town has found out.
“I knew this was a terrible idea” I mumble to myself, shaking my head.
Braga arranges all of the dwarves under guard in the town square before the doors of the mansion as guards open the large wooden doors. The Master storms out, still pulling on his coat.

“What is the meaning of this?”

“We caught ‘em stealing weapons, sire.” the captain of the guard responds

“Ah. Enemies of the state.” The Master says.

“A desperate bunch of mercenaries if ever there was, sire.” Alfrid adds.

“Hold your tongue. You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal; this is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!” Dwalin says as a matter of fact, proud to introduce him.
Dwalin gestures at Thorin, and Thorin steps forward as he is introduced. The crowd murmurs in amazement.
“We are the dwarves of Erebor.” Thorin adds
The crowd whispers in shock and awe as Thorin continues to speak
“We have come to reclaim our homeland.” The Master looks completely surprised, more so than the towns-folk. He steps forward looking aroung. “I remember this town and the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at harbour, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake! This was the centre of all trade in the North.” The crowd cheer “I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!”
I look around at all the people then back at Thorin, maybe I was wrong? Maybe I should have just suggested to ask for help?

The people cheer and clap, and the Master looks on, calculating as Thorin turns to face him. Suddenly, a voice calls out over the crowd, and Bard strides forward as the people move aside to let him through.
“Death! That is what you will bring upon us.” hearing Bard I turn around quickly “Dragon-fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast... It will destroy us all.”

The people whisper anxiously as what Bard has just said. And now that I think about it, he's right, we started this journey with just one goal, to retake Erebor, we hadn't once thought about the consequences should we waken the Dragon and fail our quest.

“You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you this; If we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain.” The crowd start to cheer again. “You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!”

The people shout in excitement and they applaud. The Master looks on, smiling and nodding at this turn of events.

“Why should we take you at your word, ey?” Alfrid says suddenly. The crowd quieten as the conniving snake speaks. “We know nothing about you. Who here can vouch for your character?”

Theres a long moment of silence. I want to stand up for him, but Bard is right, if Smaug is awoken these people will pay the price for our mistake. But there's a chance that we won't wake the dragon, what if the beast is already dead? We're making asumptions about something that we do not know for certain. I open my mouth to speak just as I hear.
“Me.” I look to Bilbo, surprised, I'll admit, who raises a hand slightly as he looks at Alfrid as he speaks “I'll vouch for him. I have travelled far, with these dwarves, through great danger. And if Thorin Oakenshield gives his word, then he will keep it.” I can't help but look at Bilbo with admiration. He looks around at us when he's finished speaking and I hug his slightly with one arm.

“All of you! Listen to me! You must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale?!” Bard speaks up, pleading with everyone to think this through.

The people quiet down and shake their heads sadly.

“Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm?!”

“No!” The people shout

“And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a mountain-king so riven by greed. He could not see beyond his own desire!” he says frustrated, looking directly at Thorin while he talks about his grandfather.

As Bard and Thorin stare at each other angrily, the crowd gets louder, but then the Master steps forth.

“Now, now, we must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame.” Bard looks up at the Master who is now speaking “Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast!” he says pointing at Bard. I look at Bard who looks downtrodden.
“It’s true, sire. We all know the story: arrow after arrow he shot, each one missing its mark.” Alfrid adds to the accusation.
“You can't hold him responsible for something that happened over sixty years ago” I state angrily at the worm. Where I didn't automatically defend Thorin I jump to defend Bard, gaining some surprised looks from the company and a less than pleased look from Thorin. Bard looks a moment before looking to Thorin as he strides forward and speaks to Thorin.
“You have no right, no right to enter that mountain!”
“I have the only right.” Thorin replies simply.
Thorin turns and faces the Master of Lake Town, as he turns he looks at me with an undefinable expression on his face. I close my eyes for a moment and mentally curse, I have probably just ruined months of trust in one moment.
“I speak to the Master of the men of the Lake. Will you see the prophecy fulfilled? Will you share in the great wealth of our people?” Thorin asks as he climbs a few of the steps
The people quietly watch in anticipation of his answer. “What say you?” He asks when the Master doesn't respond instantly.
The Master thinks for several seconds, points his finger at Thorin.
“I say unto you... Welcome! Welcome and thrice, welcome! King under the Mountain!”
The Master opens his arms in welcome, and the crowd erupts in cheers. Bard looks on silently.
Thorin climbs up a few steps and turns to face the audience; the people hug each other in excitement and joy. Thorin and Bard stare at each other.

I turn around and leave the crowd of people, and the dwarves, going to find a quiet part of town as the Master invited the company inside, no doubt to celebrate. I sit on a bridge dangling my feet over the side and leaning my head on my arm which is leaning on the bridge railing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Right, I am very sorry about a long wait for an update and a very short chapter for this one, I've been rather busy and then too tired to do any work on a chapter, but I'm not busy now for a while so with any luck I'll be able to make up for this long wait with more chapters. Please tell me what you think, I would love to hear your feedback it's very appreciated and it helps me improve what I write. Especially if you let me know what you would like me to include, either in a review or personal message.

Thank you for reading, I hope you're enjoying reading as much as I am enjoying writing for you, I love hearing what you think.