Let Bygones Be Bygones (2 of 3)

A Burden Lifted, A Past Laid To Rest

I walk around the town hearing people celebrating, I can hear the music coming from the Master's house and all the singing even from the very edge of town, albeit quite quiet, sometimes I hate my elven hearing. I sigh as I look at the mountain and lean against a post looking towards what was once my home. I sit down where I am standing and lean my back against the post unable to look away from the destination. We're almost home. We're so close. It's hard to believe... So long ago... Such a naive young girl I used to be, always longing for adventure, a life that wasn't boring, my mother used to always say to be careful what I wished for and my father used to always say 'Let the girl have her dreams'. I chuckle to myself a little at the fragment of memory, but it's instantly turned into a sad memory. I got my wish, but in the sixty years that I have had my adventurous life all I have wanted is my home, my family and my friends. My boring life which now was so perfect, the problems I once had are mere trivialities compared to what I have had to deal with. I kind of miss just waking up and wondering what outfit I should wear, and hearing my mother worry about me when she hasn't seen me for an entire day. I'm so lost in thought that I don't feel my tears running down my face.
I hear footsteps coming towards me then heading in the opposite direction before the sound of someone tripping over a bucket. I turn my head quickly just in time to see Kili flailing his arms as he falls off the walkway and cause quite a large splash as he falls into the lake. I laugh a little, forgetting my thoughts and walking over to help him out of the water. I look down at him amused.
“Fancied a late night swim did you?” I tease as I kneel down and hold onto a post and reach down, offering him my hand, he reaches and grabs my hand but the water on his hand causes him to loose grip straight away. As he reaches again I grab his sleeve causing him to grab my wrist brace, it's easier to pull him up. Once he's back on the walkway he straightens himself up.
“There you are” he says as though nothing had happened. “We've been looking for you”
“Where, the wine cellar?” I ask smiling, he's definitely been drinking, as no doubt the others have also.
“Yes we did start there actually” he jests.
“Why have you been looking for me?” I ask “You should be enjoying the festivities”
“That's why we've been looking for you” Fili says coming out of no where, smiling and walking towards the two of us. “I see you've found her brother.” He says drinking from a mug as he stops next to his brother.
“Looks like I was the only one looking” Kili chuckles.
“I've been looking” Fili says playfully defensively.
“Where? At the bottom of your mug?” his brother asks
Noticing Kili is soaked Fili raises and eyebrow “More likely than her being in the lake” he teases
“Why were you both looking for me anyway?” I ask now really curious.
“You owe us a drink for loosing a wager” Fili says
“Oh I do, do I? What wager would that be?” I ask inclining my head a little to the side, confused.
Fili and Kili just looks at each other grinning before looking back to me. I simply stare and wait for an answer, after a moment I realise they're not going to tell and I just give.
“Okay, you get your drink. In the form of a game. You two still haven;t beaten me at drinking yet, and I doubt you ever will.” I say smiling. I may as well have some fun while I can. We may be in the belly of a dragon soon enough, live while we can. They laugh and I get gabbed and pulled towards the masters house by the two brothers.
The dwarves are singing and Nori has pulled Bilbo up onto the table and they're dancing. Bifur is also dancing in the middle of the room. Bofur is drinking and Bombur is just eating. I'm sitting just out of the way, in a corner, laughing and drinking from a glass of whiskey. I get tapped on my shoulder and turn to see Thorin.
“A word” he says motioning with his head for me to follow. I finish my glass and put it down on a nearby table before following.
“Is there a problem?” I ask once we're far enough away to talk without raising our voices.
“I think this belongs to you” He says handing me a small, simple pouch. I look at it unsure what it is and take it from him. I look at my belt and check a couple of my pockets before handing it back to him.
“No, it is not mine” I say. He doesn't take it back from me.
“Open it” he says.
“Open...? ...Okay...” I say and open the pouch, I can't see what's inside so I tip whatever is inside onto my other hand. An elvish locket and a couple of rings fall onto my hand. I hold my breath and feel myself starting to shake. I open the locket carefully, finding it a little difficult because my fingers feel numb from the surprise. As I open the silver oval I see the picture of my mother and father. I gasp and put my hand over my mouth with the hand I'm holding the pouch in. I blink and tears start rolling down my face.
“This was my mothers.” I say closing it and looking at the rings. One beautiful diamond and silver elvish ring and one gold and sapphire dwarvish ring. “These were my mothers and fathers wedding rings.” I never thought I would see these ever again, they were sold to buy provisions for the journey to Rivendell sixty years ago. “How..?” I ask looking at him, feeling a lump in my throat making it hard to speak. “How came you by these..?” I ask. He just smiles and shakes his head, he's not going to tell me. “Thank you” I say feeling like a burden has been lifted from my shoulders. “I don't know how I will ever repay you.”
“I will think of something.” He says smiling.
I smile and wipe my tears away. “I think I am going to get some rest. Goodnight Thorin” I say softly. And start to walk towards a room I had been assigned for the night.
He nods as I pass “Goodnight” as I am walking away I hear him say my name causing me to smile, but I don't turn around.

That night I had no trouble getting to sleep, and I went to sleep smiling. It was the best nights sleep I had had for over sixty years, no nightmares, not waking up almost every hour, a completely peaceful night despite the noise from down the hall. And for once, it wasn't the ale or the whiskey that got me to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that this one is short and that it has taken me a while to upload, I know I promised I'd upload a bit more but real life got in the way. Forgive me?

Please leave a review and/or a private message, I love hearing what you think.

I was actually going to do something completely different with this chapter but it didn't feel right, I hope you like how I have actually done it.