I'm in Hate With You

"That and you slept with a stuffed animal pig."

I woke up the next morning in a foul mood. Probably because of Daniel and his stupidity. I trudged over to the door and turned the knob. It didn't budge. I tried it again, and it still didn't work. "Stupid," I mumbled when I realized I had locked it the night before. I unlocked it and stepped outside.

I walked over to fetch my daily morning breakfast of peanut butter. I grabbed the jar and sat myself at the kitchen table. In the center of the table sat a small black velvet box and a piece of paper. I picked it up and read it.

This is why I didn't make it to the appointment.

It wasn't signed, but I knew exactly who it was from.

I reached over and lifted the lid of the small box. Inside, was a beautiful ring. It was gold, and it had one round diamond in the center. It was absolutely gorgeous. My heart sank down to my shoes. He had missed my appointment because he was buying me an engagement ring. Daniel, the most inconsiderate person on the planet, had bought me an engagement ring.

Tears fuzzed my vision. That was the sweetest thing anyone had ever done for me. Ever. I bit my lip. I had screamed and yelled at him uncontrollably yesterday, and I hadn't even let him tell his side of the story. What kind of person was I ?

I slipped the ring on my ring finger. It all seemed so official now. I was engaged. Wow. Surprisingly, it felt good.

I would make it up to him, I decided. As I walked out the door, I realized the ultrasounds I had put on the table yesterday were missing.

* * * *

I put the second plate on the table just as Daniel walked through the door. I ran to him and threw my arms around his neck and hugged him. "Thank you so much !" I exclaimed when I stepped away from him.

He looked kind of uncomfortable, probably because my sudden outburst of affection. I blushed and looked down at my feet.

"Look, I'm-"

"Sorry," we both said at the same time.

"You go ahead," he urged me.

"No, you started first," I pointed out.

"Well... I shouldn't have missed the appointment... I'm so sorry. I was just so caught up with... well, you know," he explained, blushing.

"It's okay... I mean, I should have let you explain. I was just so angry and upset. And how could I be mad ? You totally bought me an engagement ring !" I exclaimed.

"Do you like it ?" he asked hopefully.

I looked down at the ring on my finger.

"I love it," I told him.

"It looks good on you," he complimented.

"Thanks." I looked over to the stove where the spaghetti pot was bubbling over. "Fuck !" I yelled, running over to turn off the stove.

"You cooked ?" he asked. I hadn't really cooked much since we'd been living together, so it must have been a welcome break from peanut butter and jelly.

"I felt bad about calling you an ass, so I made you dinner," I replied.

"What'd you make ?" he questioned.

"Chicken Parmesan," I informed him proudly.

"That's my favorite... How did you know that ?"

"Well... I called up Riley and he told me. That and you slept with a stuffed animal pig until you were fifteen."

"I'm going to kill him," he mumbled.

I grinned as he sat down. I served us both and sat down opposite him. I took a bite of the chicken. It was surprisingly good. I could tell that Daniel was enjoying it as well.

"This is good," he said.

"Thanks... it is isn't it ?"

He nodded.

"So... What happened to the ultrasound pictures I left on the table last night ?" I asked.

"What pictures ?" he replied guiltily.

"You took them, didn't you ?"

"No... of course not."

"What'd you do with them ?"

"Nothing."

"Daniel !"

"All right ! I took them and showed them to some of my friends ! Happy ?!"

I smirked. "Yep." I thought for a second and began laughing.

"What are you laughing about now ?"

"You are totally excited to be a dad..."

"Ya. So ?"

"I think that's awesome."

He frowned. "You do ?"

"Sure do," I answered, taking a bite of pasta.

When I finished eating, I asked, "Are you ready to be killed in guitar hero ?"

"Bring it on."
♠ ♠ ♠
GUITAR HERO !!!! YESSSS !