I'm in Hate With You

"Would you like me to ask the proper way ?"

I sat there in the chair, drumming my fingers on the table. I had the phone before me with the napkin in my hand. I felt sick to my stomach. I didn't want to make the call, but I knew I had to. Abby wanted to be there when I called, but I told her I'd be okay by myself.

It had taken me about twenty minutes to locate the the wrinkled napkin with the phone number written on it. I searched and searched until I finally found it behind the toilet. (Don't ask me how it got there. I don't have a clue.)

The seven numbers stared up at me in mockery. They knew they held my entire future in their hands. I reached for the phone and dialed the number, but I hung up just before I dialed the last digit.

I took a deep breath. What's the worst he could do to me ? I'd ask him to meet me at a public place... Yes... so then there was nothing he could do to me !

I shook my head. He wasn't going to do anything to me. He was a nice guy... I thought. There was nothing he could do.

I took another deep breath and dialed the number in it's entirety. The phone rang three times before he picked up.

"Hello ?" Daniel said from the other end.

My heart stopped. It was the pure smooth voice that I had memorized so well. I felt queasy again. I couldn't do this.

"Um... Hi. This is Lacy... from the club last month," I told him weakly.

He only had to think for a second. "Ya, I remember you. What's up ?" he asked me casually. His voice seemed much more intelligent than the last time we spoke. I'm sure mine did too.

"Well, I was wondering if I could meet you somewhere tomorrow," I replied.

"What for ?" I was afraid he'd ask that question.

"Well, actually, I need to tell you something," I admitted.

He seemed to think this over. "Where ?" he finally said.

"Um... Starbucks ? At five ?" I got off my shift at that time, and it wasn't very far away.

"It's a date." I could hear the humor in his voice.

"All right. See you," I told him.

"Bye," he answered.

I put the phone down on the cradle, my hands shaking. How was I going to break the news to him ? Would he be mad that I was pregnant ? Would he want nothing to do with it ?

I walked into Abby's room. "I told him, Abby Cupcake," I announced. (It was an inside joke from this movie we watched. They called the girl Abby Cupcake.)

She walked out of her closet, where she was already putting her clothes out for the next day. "You told him you were pregnant ?" she questioned.

"Well... no. I asked him to meet me tomorrow after work. I thought it would be better if I told him in person," I answered.

She shrugged. "It can't hurt," she said, following me into the kitchen. I pulled a jar of peanut butter out of the cabinet and began eating it.

"That's disgusting !" she exclaimed.

"No it's not. It's good," I defended.

She shook her head. "Pregnant women," she mumbled.

"What should we do now ?" I asked her.

"Movie ?" she suggested.

I nodded. "Let's watch Fools Rush In"

"No way ! That's about a dumb pregnant woman !"

I scowled. "How about... Saw !" I had been begging her and begging her to watch the movie, but she never did. She hated scary movies.

"No."

"Come on !"

"No !"

"Please ! It's really not very scary !"

"Are you sure ?"

"Of course !"

"Well... Ok..."

"Great !" I grinned

* * * * * * * *

I sat in Starbucks, waiting. I'd been sitting there for fifteen minutes, but I didn't mind. It was peaceful there. It helped calm my nerves. I didn't get coffee, because I hated coffee. It all tasted like dirty water to me.

Abby wanted to come along with me for two reasons. One: for emotional support, and Two: she was scared out of her mind. She didn't want to go home by herself because the guy from Saw got kidnapped from his apartment. I told her it was too bad; this was something I had to do on my own. She wasn't very happy about that.

I heard the door open. I looked up, and there he was. His mahogany hair was side swept, and his bright blue eyes sparkled. He wore a striped navy blue and off-white sweater with a gray turtleneck underneath for the November breeze and bright red skinny jeans. He had his black snake bite lip rings in. I tried hard not to drool. His eyes fell upon me and he smiled slightly.

"Sorry I'm late," Daniel said, "I got caught up at work."

"It's okay," I said, the lump beginning to form in my throat. I was going to have to tell him.

He brushed his hair out of his eyes. "So, what did you want to talk to me about ?" he asked me.

I took a deep breath. "Well, I needed to tell you that... I'm pregnant." I admitted quietly.

Daniel had a coughing fit. "Excuse me ?" he replied.

I closed my eyes and said it slower this time.

He just kind stared at me for a moment. "Are you sure it's..." he trailed off, asking the unsaid question.

I nodded slowly.

He let exhaled. "What now ?"

"I don't know... I just figured you had the right to know."

"You're not getting an abortion, are you ?"

I shook my head vigorously. "I would never." I told him.

He sighed. "I think we should get married," he said.

Now it was my turn to have the coughing fit. "What !?"

"My apartment is pretty big, if you remember." I blushed at that. "And the baby would have a father. We wouldn't have to... like each other, but we could become friends," he explained.

"Daniel... we don't know each other at all," I protested

"Would you like me to ask the proper way ?" he asked.

"No !"

He got down on one knee. "Lacy, will you marry me ?" he asked.

I saw the entire restaurant staring at us. I was sure my pale complexion had turned a deep red. "Um... um... I'll think about it," I answered.

He stood up and grinned. "That works for me. Do you need a ride home ?" he asked.

"No thanks," I said, face still red. "I have my car. My friend's probably freaking out right now."

"All right. I'll see you later," he said, walking out of the shop.

Even though he had thoroughly embarrassed me in front of all of those people, I couldn't help looking at his butt in his red skinny jeans.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh. Here comes the trouble.