I'm in Hate With You

"Most Christ-like award !?"

I looked at the house in awe. I had been a year since I had last stepped foot through that wooden door. I hadn't missed it, and I didn't want to be here. I wanted to be at home in New York, where you could hear the cabs rolling down the busy streets. Instead, I was here, a small town in Pennsylvania, on a farm, where there was no noise. The silence was deafening, and I felt uncomfortable hearing nothing.

I rested my head on the dashboard of the car Daniel and I were renting for the weekend. I groaned, wishing to be anywhere but here, in the presence of my overly strict parents.

Daniel put a hand on my shoulder. "You're going to be fine," he assured me. He knew how much I had been dreading this visit. But, if I wanted my parents to accept the fact that I was married and pregnant, and there was nothing they could do about it. I would have to face them and convince them that I was going the right thing.

"It's not me I'm worried about," I told him. Surprisingly, I really was worried about him. "I wouldn't be surprised if my father shot you the moment you came in the door."

He cleared his throat. "Seriously ?" he asked nervously.

I looked at him and sighed. "No. My father doesn't own a gun. At least, he didn't last time I was here," I replied.

Daniel swallowed nervously, his face extremely pale. Even paler than usual. His lips were set in a firm line, making his snake bites stick out slightly. His bright blue eyes darted about nervously, and he ran a hand through his mahogany hair. "All right," he said. "Let's do this."

I nodded and slid out of the car, feeling the Pennsylvania wind on my face. I had to admit, the farm was beautiful, and it always had been. But I had always wanted something better; something bigger. And after all of my struggling, I had finally got it. But it really wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I mean, look where I was now.

Daniel came around the car and stood next to me. "You ready ?" he questioned.

I nodded slightly and took his hand. I had to. He gave me strength, as much as I'd like not to admit it.

We walked up together to the wooden door. I stood in front of it for a moment. I took a deep breath, and with the hand that wasn't holding Daniel's, I knocked on the door.

A few short seconds later, the door opened to reveal my mother.

My mother was really proper in most cases. She was wearing a loose-fitting white shirt and a khaki shirt that ran down to her knees. She smiled at me. We looked a lot alike, we had just about everything identical except for my dark hair, which I got from my father. Her hair was lighter shade.

"Lacy !" she exclaimed, hugging me to her chest. "How are you ? How's the baby ?"

I patted my four-month-old bun in the oven. "Still baking," I told her.

My mom and pretty much come to accept the mistake I'd made and was excited to become and grandmother. My father was not as accepting, however. "You must be Daniel," she said looking him over. I saw her look at his snake bites confusedly.

"Yes, ma'am," he replied, shaking her hand. "How are you, Mrs. Peters ?"

"Good, thank you," she replied. "Lacy, I'm going to go finish up dinner. You two are going to sleep up in your room."

I nodded and carried my bag up the stairs with Daniel close behind.

As soon as I opened the door, I crinkled my nose. The room smelt so weird. It smelt of... teenager. I put my bag on the floor.

Daniel laughed. "Most Christ-like award !?" he exclaimed. "Wow they really didn't know you." He examined the cross-shaped trophy. "How cute."

"Shut up," I told him, looking at all of the 'I Love Jesus' posters on the walls. It was so weird.

"Oh, who do we have here ?" he asked, picking up a picture of me and a guy.

"That's my friend, Charlie," I replied.

"Your boyfriend ?" he pressed.

"No. He's gay."

"I bet your parents loved him," he said sarcastically.

"Actually, they did. They thought he was just the sweetest thing. They didn't even have a clue."

He laughed. "Nice."

I collapsed on my bed. I was tired, and I just had a feeling the day was not going to get any better.

Daniel collapsed next to me. "You know, we might have fun here," he told me.

I groaned. "Ya, if you mean scrutinized by my parents, then yes, this trip will be tons of fun," I said.

He rolled on his side to face me. "Just relax and stop stressing. There's no need to fear. Daniel is here !" he exclaimed in a Superman-like voice.

I laughed. "You dork."

He faux-cried. "You're so hurtful !"

"Ya, ya. Deal with it," I said, standing up. "Let's go see if dinner's ready."

"I hope so. I'm starving."

I pulled open the door to see my fourteen-year-old sister grinning like a maniac. "What, Amber ?" I snapped. I didn't have time for her annoying self.

"Nothing," she replied innocently.

Amber was a ball of pure evil. She looked a lot like me, except she had lighter and more curly hair. When she was little, she'd cry and fuss for no reason. She was so annoying, the devil himself would have sent her back from hell. She was a demon spawn.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Get out of here," I commanded.

"I was just saying hi to the new boyfriend. What's happening ?" she asked Daniel.

"Uh... nothing really," he replied uncertainly.

"He's my husband, you twit," I told her, suddenly feeling possessive of Daniel. "Didn't mom tell you anything ?"

"No. What's going on ?" she questioned.

"She's got a bun in the oven," Daniel answered for me.

Amber stared at me for a second, the began laughing hysterically. See ? Evil ! "Dad's gonna be so pissed," she replied.

"He already is. You better shut up, or I'll tell dad you curse like a trucker," I threatened.

Even though she was only fourteen, she was already my height. "You wouldn't dare," she said, getting right in my face.

"Honey, I think I would," I retorted.

She glared at me, but spun around and made her way down the stairs. "Teenagers," I mumbled under my breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh no. Next, Daniel is going have to deal with the wrath of the father. Or Lacy will. Either one.

Hope you liked ! I'm not sure how many chapters will be taking place in Pennsylvania. However many it takes, I guess.

Comment ?