Status: Active!

The Cost of Freedom

Chapter I

Chapter Song

----- ----- -----

It was late when I finally got to my new studio apartment, tossing my duffle bag on the floor my bright blue eyes scanned the small space. There was a small kitchen, an equally small living room area with an old couch and off in one corner behind a curtain was a mattress on the floor. The whole place was just one open room, aside from the door at one end that led to the bathroom. For five hundred bucks a month it was perfect. My feet brought me over to the large window that took up most of the wall next to my bed, outside New Orleans was already geared up for another Friday night. The lights of the stores across the street illuminated my angular features. Music drifted in from the street, breaking the silence of the apartment. The owner of the store below this apartment had no use for it since she had a house. My lucky day.

Let me explain a few things before going any further: how I got here and who I am.

My name is Simone Nistor Vicariu, and I am a werelion from the Rezistenta Pride of Romania. Why am I in some dingy apartment in New Orleans? Because I am on the run from a very powerful Master Vampire, Alexandru. I left Romania, my home, three years ago to get away from his torturous grasp and I have not stopped running since. This was just another stop along the way, I never stayed in one place too long. When you offend a Master Vampire like I have you never stop running, you just pray one day they will stop. My day has yet to come.

With a sigh I turned away from the window and pulled my fingers through my blonde hair, it hung in gentle waves below my shoulder blades. I glanced at the clock on the microwave of the kitchen, one hour before I had to be at my new job. Sadly, living on the run took a toll on any amount of money I could put together. Walking over to the door I locked it and began undressing as I made my way back over to my duffle bag, my life in one bag. I had been driving all day to make it to this town, lots of people and lots of stuff going on. All in all, an easy place to blend in. Now all I had to do was start the cash flowing in and I could probably lay low here for three months or so. I pulled on a pair of black skinny jeans made of a sleek looking fabric and a white top that was loose in a flattering way and dipped low on my back. After slipping on a pair of high heeled black ankle boots I took my leather jacket and left.

Instead of heading out the door that would lead out through the store below I opened the window which lead out to the fire escape stairs on the side of the building. As my feet hit the ground of the back alley gracefully I straightened and was met face to face with the owner of the shop, Marguerite, as she finished tossing the trash.

“So you’re a private one I see,” she said with a wry grin at me. The woman unsettled me, she sold herbs and potions, and little trinkets for luck. And of course she practiced witchcraft. She looked like she could be someone’s grandmother but I was not fooled, a witch’s power only grew stronger with age. “I ain’t no threat to you little lion,” she said in that same wise voice of hers. I was slightly taken aback, I had not mentioned what I was when I spoke to her, in fact I barely spoke at all.

“How long did you know?” I asked, my Romanian accent still coating my words even after three years in the United States.

The woman chuckled, “honey, I knew since you walked in my door, if you’re trying to hide it then I’d say you ain’t doin’ a very good job,” she said, pointing a finger at me as she spoke.

I sighed and crossed my arms, “well, thanks for the wonderful review,” I muttered as I walked past her.

“How about I give you something to hide that power of yours?” the woman said, a grin obvious in her words. Seems my rude behavior was not enough to throw off the witch. “Keepin’ outta the spotlight ain’t easy for your kind in this town,” was that a warning? I stopped and turned around, eyeing her suspiciously. She walked past me and motioned for me to follow her into her store, it took me a moment to follow her and I just caught the door as it was about to close behind her.

Vampires and witches have hated each other for decades, so in a way Marguerite was on my side. Or at least that was my thought process as I reasoned why I was listening to her.

I cautiously moved through the crowded shop, there was only one other person but the shelves of herbs and other trinkets took up so much of the shop it was hard to move through. Marguerite was taking herbs from a few different vials and crushing them together in a bowl. The smell was repulsive for a moment but then changed to a light woodsy smell. “What is that?” I asked, my curiosity getting the best of me. The woman grinned and glanced up at me as she emptied the crushed up herbs into a small vial on a leather chord as she spoke a few words in a language foreign to me. “You must know my scent by now child, so tell me, can you smell it now?” she spoke as if she knew the answer. I rolled my eyes slightly, of course I’d be able to smell her she was- My thoughts stopped as I realized I actually could not detect her scent or that she was a witch, it was like she was not here. She must have taken my surprised look for an answer and smiled knowingly as she handed me the small vial.

“How much?” I asked, taking the curious mixture and hanging the chord around my neck so that the vial settled out of sight under my shirt.

Marguerite shook her head, “you’re a powerful lion, I’d rather no one else in this town know,” with that said she nodded at me as a goodbye and went to the back room of the shop. I watched after her for a moment before I realized I only had fifteen minutes to get to work. After making sure the tiny vial hanging around my neck was tucked safely under my shirt I left the shop and headed down the street towards the club I had gotten a job at. It was a jazz club, The Blue Nile, one of the most popular in the city as far as I heard during my brief interview. As I entered through the employee entrance I could already hear the jazz band warming up. It was a classy place, low lighting with a very classic and intimate atmosphere. A few people were in the club, speaking privately in the secluded booths while others watched the band get set up. The whole place reminded me of a speakeasy back in the days of prohibition.

“You must be Simone, the new bartender?” I turned to look at who spoke and was met with a woman with jet black hair and red lips pulled up in a smile, “I’m Sophie, welcome to the Blue Nile.” I returned her smile, “glad to have the job,” I said with a small laugh. Sophie grinned at me, “well, I’ll tell you what you’re gonna do so you can keep it,” she said, gesturing for me to follow her behind the bar. After giving me a tour of where everything was and going through a few of the Blue Nile’s unique drinks we began to talk and prepare the bar.

“Seems pretty quiet for a Friday night,” I commented as I placed a few glasses on the drying rack and glanced at Sophie.

She let out a short burst of laughter that caused me to raise my eyebrows in question, “just wait, once the sun is gone things start getting real busy around here, and tonight a pretty important guest is coming.”

“Do you know who?” I asked, leaning against the bar and watching her.

“His name is Vincent, lives in the huge mansion out in the woods, always comes on the full moon with his little band of followers, seems like a pretty shady guy if you ask me but he’s a great tipper so I don’t complain,” Sophie said, grinning at me.

“Everybody loves a good tipper,” I said as I returned her grin.

“Melanie is coming in to serve the VIP section so we probably won’t see him though,” Sophie said as if it were a disappointment. I, on the other hand, was just as happy staying away from any powerful people coming in here. However, I shrugged and sighed as if it was a disappointment to me as well. Sophie checked her watch and tucked a small white towel into her back pocket, “should start getting busy soon, the band is about to start.” As if on cue people start trailing in, “good luck,” Sophie said with a wink in my direction. I was starting to like Sophie.

The night was going very smooth, this was one of the nicest clubs I had ever worked in. The customers were a mix of supernatural and human, the humans were oblivious to them but I could pick them out easily by smell. I was suddenly grateful for the Witch’s gift, I smelled no other felines in the club, mostly werewolves. Werelions did not frequent the United States, we mostly stayed in Europe. Without her gift I would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Just as I was serving a scotch on the rocks to a customer at the bar I felt a strange tingling on my skin, like an electric current had entered the air. The other lycan in the room felt it too, as well as the vampires, they all glanced at the entrance to the club. The door to the club was opened and in walked a group of vampires. Last to walk in the club was what appeared to be the very important person, he held himself in a way that most people who are powerful and know it do. Wonderful, just what this place needed, more vampires. The owner of the club ushered them over to the VIP area right by the band that had started playing a catchy jazz number.

“That’s Vincent,” Sophie whispered next to me. The vampire in question looked over at us the minute his name left Sophie’s lips. For a moment I felt trapped in his gaze, something in his eyes called to me. It sent my heart racing and I took a deep breath as he looked away.

“What’s so important about him?” I muttered bitterly. Something about him unnerved me. Suddenly I felt my lion stir within me, curious as to who this vampire was.

Sophie rolled her eyes, “other than being filthy rich and being buddies with the mayor?” She said as if that was all the explanation needed. “I can’t believe Melanie isn’t here yet, we’re short staffed tonight as it is,” Sophie grumbled, checking her cell phone as she filled a drink order.

“Must be running a little late,” I said absentmindedly. I was more focused on the owner of the club, Jack, hurrying over to us with his attention on me. What had I done wrong already?

“Simone, Mr. Madsen requested you be his server tonight, I know this is your first night but you have the experience and Melanie isn’t here yet,” Jack said in a rushed voice. My eyes widened, oh no, I did not want to go over by that vampire.

“But can’t Sophie?” I asked, looking over at her where she had gone off to serve another customer.

“We need her at the bar, and he requested you specifically and well, we like to keep him happy here,” Jack said with a short laugh, “I need to know I can count on my employees to keep our customers happy.”

I sighed, “fine.”

Jack ignored my less than delighted expression and grinned, “great, head up there now,” with that said Jack hurried off to go check on the band.

Thoughts of why this vampire would explicitly ask for me ran through my head as I walked over to the private seating area he sat in. A heavy curtain kept the space private from the rest of the club. It had a plush crimson loveseat and a few matching chairs surrounding an ornately carved coffee table, making the space more of a sitting area than a place to dine. Well, it was fitting seeing as vampires did not eat food. As I pushed the curtain aside and walked into the VIP section I froze. It was empty aside from Mr. Madsen himself sitting casually on the plush loveseat with his eyes on the band playing another jazz number. Where had the other vampires gone, surely there had been at least five others with him. I felt a presence behind me and caught sight of one of the vampires he had come here with closing the curtain behind me. My eyes slowly trailed back to Mr. Madsen, I tried to keep the annoyance out of them but I was not one to appreciate being trapped. I felt my lion stir within me, she did not like being trapped either.

“Is there something I can get you Mr. Madsen?” I asked, raising an eyebrow as my gaze met his. His eyes caught me off guard, I felt my breath catch in my throat. Within me my lion growled softly. Dangerous. That is what his eyes screamed. A grin spread across his lips as if he knew exactly what effect he was having on me.

“You were wondering what was so important about me, ironically, I am curious about you as well,” he spoke slowly, with an accent that was obviously European yet impossible to place. “Sit, and please, call me Vincent” he commanded in that same deadly calm tone. For a moment I considered running, but the thought seemed to cross my eyes because Vincent tilted his head slightly, “do not run, not yet at least,” he said softly. Slowly I sat in one of the chairs farthest from where he sat, my eyes locked with his. There was something about him, something he was hiding.

“You are hiding something my dear,” he said leaning forward so that his elbows rested on his knees and his hands remained clasped in front of him.

“So are you,” I challenged, raising an eyebrow at him.

A dangerous chuckle left his lips, the sound making me shiver. In the blink of an eye he had left the loveseat and sat in front of me on the wooden coffee table. My muscles tensed to run but his hand was already reached out towards me. Damn he was fast. My breathing hitched as his fingers lifted the leather chord around my neck skimming down it until he held the vial of herbs between his fingers. “Ah Marguerite,” he muttered with a grin, “These herbs have a very distinctive scent I have come to appreciate, I wonder why she would not want me to find out who you are,” his tone was conversational, as if we spoke about the weather. “What is your name?” He asked, his eyes staring intently into mine.

“Sorry, that’s not on the menu,” I said as evenly as I could.

Vincent chuckled, pulling on the small vial around my neck making me follow so that the chord would not break. He stopped when I was leaning dangerously close to his face, my body barely perched on the chair anymore. “You answer my question and I shall answer yours,” he said quietly. I knew he could just snap the vial off my neck and know for himself, but then that would ruin the game.

“Simone Vicariu,” I said, proud that my voice was strong and even.

“So what brought you all the way from Romania?” He continued to ask, still holding the vial. Obviously trying to prove that he recognized my name and accent.

“Nothing of your concern,” I said, well aware I was treading a dangerous line with this vampire. He kept his power hidden, which could mean he was either weak or strong. I was hoping for the first option.

“Oh really?” Vincent questioned, his tone dangerous.

“What happened to answering my questions?” I challenged. Vincent laughed once more and a shiver of power slid over my skin.

“Ask your questions then my dear,” he said, letting go of the vial but never moving to increase the distance between us. His striking eyes kept my blue eyes trapped.

“Who are you?”

Vincent seemed to think on that for a moment, never taking his eyes off me as he considered my question. “Instead of telling, how about I show you and you tell me?” Before I could respond Vincent was once more touching me, this time his fingertips trailed along the side of my neck. As I opened my mouth to protest I suddenly found I was unable to speak, my lungs struggled to bring in oxygen, and my skin felt like an electric current was being run over it. His power was suffocating me. How he had been hiding all of this was beyond me. That electricity seemed to call to me, my lion perked up within me and the urge to shift warmed my skin. I felt my eyes change, felt their blue color get swallowed up by the bright spring green of my lion’s eyes. If this continued I would shift for certain.

I pushed away from him and stood up in one fluid movement, stumbling slightly as I tried to keep down the urge to shift. His power was calling to me, which could only mean one thing.

“You’re the Master of this city,” I said breathlessly, watching as he stood and situated himself back on the loveseat gracefully with a grin on his features.

“And what else my dear?” He pushed, fully aware that I knew the answer already.

“Your animal to call is lion,” I whispered, a sliver of fear entering my voice. Every city had a Master vampire in control of its vampires, and every Master vampire had an animal to call, a species they had control over. Most Masters had wolf as their animal to call. I had only met one other master who called to lions. I have seen a Master vampire with wolf as their animal to call bring an Alpha to their knees, and the stronger the vampire, the stronger their control.

“Correct, and you are a lioness,” he replied smoothly, his voice like velvet. “A very strong one actually, that much power should have made you shift, and yet you resisted me…. How about you remove that little trinket and we can both be honest with each other?” He continued, gesturing at the vial I wore around my neck then looking back up to my eyes. My gaze hardened, refusal obvious in my expression.

Vincent sighed, “you must be well aware that I can easily take it off you by force, I am trying to be polite my dear, so if you could please remove the necklace?” The threat was obvious, do it or I do it for you.

My heart raced. From the way his power called to me I knew he had not marked anyone as his animal to call, an eternal bond that allowed the vampire to use their animal’s power to increase their own. That was not a choice they took lightly, to make the bond stronger a Master vampire would seek out the strongest of their animal to call, and not to sound over confident but I was pretty damn strong. Without a second thought I bolted for the curtains, there were times where retreating was the only option. I could not fight Vincent and win, I could resist him, but not for long. Before he could discover my true power I had to leave. My hand brushed the edge of the curtain before I felt a hand wrap around my wrist and pull me back. Vincent ripped the vial from my neck and captured my other wrist, making me face him. I pulled against his grip as I felt his power trickle from his hands and up my arms. It felt like a weight pushing me down, compressing my lungs until I could no longer bring air into them. It felt like I was drowning in boiling water. The air burned my skin, and I felt his power as if it were trying to rip out my lion from within me. He wanted to make me shift. I fought the cry that wanted to slip from my lips, being forced to shift was the most painful thing ever. Fighting against it was even worse.

Vincent sent another wave of power over me and I dropped to my knees, shaking with the effort of keeping my lion from taking over me. I would not shift for this leech. A growl slipped from my lips, low and threatening.

“How much of this can you take my dear? Just shift for me,” he said, his voice calm and level, as if it was nothing more than a walk in the park for him to use this much power.

I shook my head, making him chuckle. “As you wish,” he said softly, kneeling down so he was level with me and tightening his grip. I barely had a moment to prepare for the next burning wave of power that crashed over me. I could feel my teeth sharpen and I knew if I could open my eyes they would be spring green once more. Still, I fought it. After what seemed like hours Vincent let go and stood up. It was like all the power in the room was sucked right back into him. I fell forward but caught myself and stayed there breathing heavily on my hands and knees. A shiver ran through me as I forced my lion back down.

“Of course Marguerite would try to hide you from me, that damn witch,” Vincent muttered, watching me intently. “She would just love to see me choose a weak lion,” I could feel him getting closer as he spoke, until his hands lifted me up and brought me back to the love seat where he sat me down on it and once more sat on the coffee table in front of me. “Unfortunately for her, I found you,” he spoke, his words like a cooling caress on my skin. He was trying to soothe the pain he had caused.

“Give up already?” I muttered breathlessly. So perhaps I was being a glutton for punishment, but I would not show this vampire he had brought me within an inch of losing it.

Vincent chuckled whole heartedly. “Even after all of that you still have the energy to snap at me, that is perfect, I need a strong lioness like you at my side,” his words sent a chill through my body.

“I will not be your animal to call, you can force me but you will never have my cooperation,” I growled, finally finding the energy to open my eyes and glare at him. My spring green lion’s eyes into his shark like eyes.

Vincent reached his hand out to cup the side of my face and I did not have the energy to push his hand away. His hand moved from my cheek to the side of my neck and his grip tightened as his other hand crept up my back so that he had essentially pulled me into his lap. I already knew what he was going to do but I had put all of my energy into keeping him from forcing me to shift. I could not stop him and the realization of that was terrifying. He was going to give me the first of three marks that would bind me to him forever.

“Stop,” I breathed as I felt his cold breath on the side of my neck.

“You think I will not be able to tame you, you are wrong my pet,” Vincent whispered against my neck. At that moment I felt his teeth sink into my neck, causing me to cry out, the sound lost in the music of the band. As I felt his power creep inside me my eyes fluttered shut and darkness swallowed up my vision.

“You will be seeing me soon my pet.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So here is the first chapter! I have put a lot of thought into this story and I definitely aim to see it through till the end. I have a ton of ideas for it so please subscribe and keep reading! The next chapter should be done in the next day or so, I really want to make sure I start this without leaving any holes. Also, check out the song I posted at the top of the page, I thought it captured the whole feeling of being in New Orleans and the overall theme of the chapter.

So what do you think of Vincent and Simone?? Let me know what you think of it! I'd really love to hear some feedback on this!