Status: *discontinued*

Favorite Fictional Characters Chat

Chapter Twenty-Three

Rehtaeh awoke once more in the cold cell when ice water was thrown on her and shivered. She jumped up and looked around sleepily. The cell she was in was stone, and very dark. She looked up at the person who had pulled her from her slumber, but their face was covered by a silver mask covered with intricate designs. She was pulled to her feet and dragged upstairs, where she was then tossed down to Lord Voldemort’s feet in the drawing room, barely missing the table. She stood up slowly, and looked at him.
“What do you want Voldemort?” She asked, yawning in her tiredness.
“I want you to join me. If you do not, you will die.”
“... I don’t wanna join you. I’m too TIRED to do anything.” she replied, shaking her hair out of her eyes.
“Clearly you do not understand the severity of your situation!” He yelled. Rehtaeh just yawned and stared at him sleepily for a minute.
“... What?”
“JOIN ME OR DIE.” he yelled.
“Oh, yeah... well.... I think I’ll choose dying... because... you’re ugly...” she yawned again.
“Crucio!” he cried, pointing his wand at her. She fell to the ground screaming and twitching. He finally released the spell and had her pulled back to her feet. “I am your lord, and you will address me as such. Understand?” He said, lifting her chin up so she was looking into his eyes. Her eyes narrowed, and she gave him a glare.
“No.” she snapped, pushing him away from her.
“Take her away! Do what you want with her!” He said. The two death eaters holding her arms dragged her back down the stone stairs and tossed her into her cell. Just as she was pulling herself up, she was dragged across to the other end of the cell, and pushed into a chair. One of the death eaters pulled of their mask.
“Rehtaeh, what are we going to do with you?” Bellatrix asked, shaking her head. There was silence as she raised her wand.

************************************************************************************************************

Dj and Shelby ran down the hall of Hogwarts to Professor Slughorns office. They were wearing long black trench coats, sunglasses and hats. They looked at each other, and snuck in. They started looking through his personal stores of potions, trying to find a bottle of Polyjuice Potion. They found one easily and ran back to the Gryffindor common room, where they found Harry, asleep on a couch. Shelby knocked him off the couch and picked up the book he had been reading.
“According to this... we need a few Slytherin hairs, to disguise ourselves as... SLYTHERINS.”
“Deja vu!” Dj yelled.
“We need to interrogate Malfoy.”
“True. Let’s do it!”
“Harry. Harry! Harry!” Shelby shook his shoulder roughly, sending his glasses flying.
“What?!”
“Tomorrow at dinner, get some hairs from Malfoy’s friends, Crabbe and Goyle. You and Dj will interrogate him, and tell me what you learn!”
“I agree with the deja vu feeling.” Harry sighed. He dumped the potion into two separate cups and put pieces of hair in each of them.
“You just... carry Crabbe and Goyle hair in your pockets, Harry?”
“Yeah, pretty much. You never know when you might need some Crabbe and Goyle hair!” he shrugged, drinking his quickly. Dj did the same, and their appearances slowly started changing. Shelby watched in awe. “Okay, let’s go.” Harry said once the transformation had ended. He led Dj down to the dungeons for the interrogation.
*************************************************************************************************************

Voldemort’s POV

I swept down the stone steps to the basement of Malfoy Manor, where Rehtaeh was being held. So far the young girl would not submit to our torturing, but that’s not stopping us. When I reached her cell she glared up at me and said nothing. I smirked to myself.
“Rehtaeh, why don’t you come upstairs and eat dinner with us? We're having your favorite...” I said kindly, offering her my hand. She glanced at from my smiling face to my hand a couple times, and then took my hand cautiously. I helped her to her feet and she followed me up the stairs and into the drawing room. I offered her a seat at the table that we were eating at, and sat down at the head of the table while we waited for the other death eaters. She sat down hesitantly. Slowly some of the death eaters started walking in and sat down. A few of them glanced at her but otherwise said nothing, and got themselves some food. Lucius, Snape, and Bella all wandered in together, laughing at something Bella had said. They all took their places at the table, surrounding the girl, who moved over to the edge of her seat.
“My dear friends, welcome! Again. So far, the plan is going swimmingly. Any questions?” I asked, folding my hands together. One of the death eaters raised their hands. I rolled my eyes. “Yes, Crabbe...?” I asked.
“What’s the plan again?” he said stupidly. I sighed and shook my head, then looked at the rest of my minions.
“Do YOU all remember the plan?” I asked. There was a chorus of ‘yes’ around the room. “Good... good...” I said, nodding in approval. I flicked my wand at the girl sitting between Bella and Lucius, and chains started wrapping themselves around her. “We can’t have you trying anything, now can we?” I asked lightly, digging into my spaghetti. She tugged at the chains for a few minutes before giving up on them, and took to looking around the room.

*************************************************************************************************************

Harry and Dj walked back up to the Gryffindor tower, rushing to tell Shelby what they learned. When they got upstairs, they were gasping and holding their sides. They rushed into the common room and sat next to Shelby on the couch, and she woke up with a start.
“What, what do you want?” She said loudly, causing a few students to look over at them.
“We found out where Rehtaeh is.” Harry said, grinning at her.
“WHAT?! WHERE?!” a few kids looked up and shushed her, growing irritated with her outbursts.
“She’s being held captive at Malfoy Manor in Wiltshire.” He stated.
“Um, how far away is Wiltshire?”
“Well... we’re in Scotland... so... driving would take about 8 hours. But we’re going to apparate. But first we need to sneak out of school and into Hogsmede.” Harry said. “Stay here, I’ll be right back.” He dashed up the stairs to the boy’s dormitory, and was back down in a few moments. In his hands he carried an old cloak and a packet of parchment. He glanced around the common room to make sure no one was looking, the cast the cloak around the three of them. They walked slowly under the cloak and got through the portrait hole, where the fat lady was fast asleep. The school corridors were very dark and quiet. “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” Harry whispered softly. Ink started spreading from his wand tip and onto the map, drawing out the intricate inside of Hogwarts.
*************************************************************************************************************

Voldemort’s POV

I lifted the Cruciatus Curse of the girl screaming on the floor, and had my death eaters pull her to her feet.
“Give up, child.” I sneered at her. Her eyes hardened.
“Never!”
“THEN YOU SHALL DIE! BELLATRIX! GET ME THE TORTURE DEVICE!” I cried. A large book was passed from Bellatrix, who handed it to me. I crouched next to the girl and flipped through the pages, picking the best place I thought she should begin. “Read it! If you refuse to read, you will be tortured by other means.” I hissed. Slowly she began to read.

*************************************************************************************************************

Harry led them to the secret passage to Honeydukes, and they easily left the school and entered Hogsmede, where they apparated to the Malfoy Manor. Luckily, Harry had a moment of smartness, and apparated INSIDE the gates of the Manor. Unluckily for him, there was an alarm set off, so people knew they were there. Death Eaters were rushing outside, looking around everywhere for the people that had just apparated on the property. Harry, Dj and Shelby managed to sneak inside. Unfortunately for them, by the time they found the drawing room, Rehtaeh was once again being mercilessly tortured.
“Read it, girl!” Voldemort screeched, pointing his wand at her.
“Forks High School had a frightening total of only three hundred and fifty-seven -- now fifty-eight -- students; there were more than seven hundred people in my junior class alone back home. All of the kids here had grown up together--their grandparents had been toddlers together. I would be the new girl from the big city, a curiosity, a freak.

Maybe, if I looked like a girl from Phoenix should, I could work this to my advantage. But physically, I'd never fit in anywhere. I should be tan, sporty, blond -- a volleyball player, or a cheerleader, perhaps -- all the things that go with living in the valley of the sun.
Instead, I was ivory-skinned, without even the excuse of blue eyes or red hair, despite the constant sunshine. I had always been slender, but soft somehow, obviously not an athlete; I didn't have the necessary hand-eye coordination to play sports without humiliating myself -- and harming both myself and anyone else who stood too close.

When I finished putting my clothes in the old pine dresser, I took my bag of bathroom necessities and went to the communal bathroom to clean myself up after the day of travel. I looked at my face in the mirror as I brushed through my tangled, damp hair. Maybe it was the light, but already I looked sallower, unhealthy. My skin could be pretty -- it was very clear, almost translucent-looking -- but it all depended on color. I had no color here.

Facing my pallid reflection in the mirror, I was forced to admit that I was lying to myself. It wasn't just physically that I'd never fit in. And if I couldn't find a niche in a school with three thousand people, what were my chances here?

I didn't relate well to people my age. Maybe the truth was that I didn't relate well to people, period. Even my mother, who I was closer to than anyone else on the planet, was never in harmony with me, never on exactly the same page. Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs. Maybe there was a glitch in my brain.

But the cause didn't matter. All that mattered was the effect. And tomorrow would be just the beginning.

I didn't sleep well that night, even after I was done crying. The constant whooshing of the rain and wind across the roof wouldn't fade into the background. I pulled the faded old quilt over my head, and later added the pillow, too. But I couldn't fall asleep until after midnight, when the rain finally settled into a quieter drizzle.

Thick fog was all I could see out my window in the morning, and I could feel the claustrophobia creeping up on me. You could never see the sky here; it was like a cage.” She read quickly, through her tears. “Please, please don’t make me read this!” She begged. There was a loud sound, like a slap, and a cry of pain. "Please! DON'T MAKE ME READ IT!" she cried through her tears. Harry rushed in, wielding his wand.
“You MONSTER! He roared, starting in on a duel with Voldemort. Dj and Shelby were easily stunned, and Rehtaeh was forced to read more of the large volume by Bellatrix and Lucius.
“"How old are you?"
"Seventeen" he answered promptly.
"And how long have you been seventeen?"
His lips twitched as he stared at the road, "Awhile", he admitted at last.
"Okay", I smiled, pleased that he was still being honest with me. He stared down at me with watchful eyes, much as he had before when he'd been worried that I would go into shock. I smiled wider in encouragment, and he frowned.
"Don't laugh but how can you come out during the daytime?"
He laughed anyway, "Myth"
"Burned by the sun?"
"Myth"
"Sleeping in coffins"
"Myth", he hesitated for a moment, and a peculiar tone entered his voice. "I can't sleep"
It took me a moment to absorb that, "At all?"
"Never", he said, his voice nearly inaudible. He turned to look at me with a wistful expression. His golden eyes held mine and I lost my train of thought. I stared at him until he looked away.
"You haven't asked me the most important question yet." His voice was hard now and when he looked at me his eyes were cold.
"I blinked, still dazed, "Which one is that?"
"You aren't concerned about my diet?", he asked sarcastically.
"Oh", I murmered, "that"
"Yes that", His voice was bleak, "Don't you want to know if I drink blood?’”

Harry struck Voldemort down for a moment, then stunned Bellatrix and Lucius, cursing himself for bringing two muggles with him. Shelby and Dj finally got back up and started untying Rehtaeh. Voldemort got Harry engaged in yet another duel. When they finished untying Rehtaeh, she collapsed to the floor, in an incredible amount of pain. “AHAHAHAHA! YOU’RE TOO LATE! THE TORTURE WORKED!” Voldemort cried.
“You killed her?!” Harry said.
“No... She just died a little on the inside! MUAHAHAHA! JOIN ME AND YOU’LL NEVER SEE ANOTHER TWILIGHT BOOK AGAIN!” He cried. Rehtaeh mumbled incoherently, and Dj scooped her up gently. “I may have overdone that a bit...” Voldemort said thoughtfully. Harry tossed a couple random spells at him and ran out of the manor, then disapparated back to Hogsmede.