Status: ongoing

Night Visions

Chapter Seven

-Dan's POV-

“The bastard.” I say looking out the window. I couldn't even look at Phil right now, I'm so angry I can't take it. I feel Phil put his hand on my shoulder.

“Dan...” Phil said quietly but was cut off by another's presence. I turn around and it was Ria. Pale and broken. Kerrie came in behind her, eyes red from crying. It only took Ria thirty seconds to work out what was happening.

“No...” she whispered with eyes watering.

“Why didn't you tell me?” Kerrie said trying not to cry.

Ria collapsed into a puddle of tears on the floor where she stood. Kerrie knelt down and held her tight and cried with her. I couldn't breathe, I could feel Phil's hand tighten on my shoulder telling me to breathe but my chest is so tight. Phil took me into the kitchen, it was like I couldn't walk on my own. He grabbed me and held me tight.

“We'll work this out, we'll fix this.” Phil said sternly. I can't hold in my tears anymore.
“How could he do this to her?” I sobbed still holding onto my best friend.
“I dunno mate, I really don't know.” Phil said quietly.
~~~
It's been over two hours now and Ria still won't tell us anything. I look at her and she glances away.
“Ria, he's going to kill you.” Kerrie suddenly blurted out.

“You can't help. None of you can.” Ria said getting up and leaving the room. I can't take it, I go after her.

“Ria, please talk to me!” I plead to her as I follow her down the hall. She stops and turns around and looks me right in the eyes.

“Dan, what do you want me to tell you?” she asks breathing heavy. I take her by the hands and bring her in close to me. I wrap my arms around her fragile body and hold her for a while.

“Everything. I want you to tell me everything.” I say softy. Still holding my hand she takes me to her bedroom and we sit on her bed facing each other.

“Two years. It wasn't that bad at first, but it declined fairly quickly. It was only blackmail for starters.” She spoke like a ghost, hollow and sad. “Then pushing and shoving, then the hitting started. He always said he was sorry after and brought me roses, but it kept happening. Everything thing I did was wrong, if the bed wasn't made right or the dishes were in the wrong place I was punished for it.” She was looking down now, crossing her thumbs over each other.

It hurts to hear this, my chest is tight. I hold one of her hands. “Now he's not going to stop until I'm dead.” I move around and bring her into a hug and I gently kiss her on the head.

“I promise you. I won't let him hurt you anymore.” I say holding her tight.