Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Wonderful Accident

I concentrated on my breathing as I kept my eyes focused on the side walk in front of me. My speed increased seeing as how I was half way down with my run and was already behind schedule. I heard screaming coming from the street in front of me and decided not to pay attention to it, seeing as though it sounded more along the lines of screams of joy, and I was already slightly mad from the 12.3 miles I had already completed. I turned the corner only to be bombarded by about fifty girls yelling “HARRY!” over and over again. It all became too much for my petite figure and before I knew it I was on the ground trying to get my actual screams heard. Shoes on shoes kicked and stepped all over me, as I struggled to pick myself out. “Oi!” I heard a raspy voice yell over the crowd who then became hushed. The running stopped and I tried to get myself up but the pain in my side was too much to bear myself. A long tattooed arm reached out helping me up, only to have myself gasp from the sharp pain again. “Paul please get the car right away.” I tried standing up straight to thank my savior but when I got one look at those piercing green eyes all I could see was black and before I knew it I felt myself falling only to be caught before I slowly drifted off.
I could hear the sound of the slow beeping at first very faintly and then it gradually became louder causing my eyes to dart open and look around the room. I noticed tubes in my arms and that I was clearly laying in a hospital bed. The beeping increased as did my heart rate it all was becoming too much, “where am I and what happened to me” was flashing through my head. “Is she going to be alright?” the familiar raspy voice I heard through the cracked door calmed me down long enough for me to manage a soft “I think I’m okay.”
The door was then opened fully and in walked a doctor with a bright smile; followed by none other than the green eyed beauty the rest of the world knows as Harry Styles. I blushed immediately knowing that I probably looked just as bad as I felt. “I’m Dr. Morris and you are going to be just fine Briar, a couple of bruised ribs and slight fracture in your ankle.” My heart stopped. “A fracture?” Dr. Morris continued talking, “yes mam, now you need to rest for the next few weeks and no running for at least a month or until a follow up appointment. I have a subscription waiting for you at the nearest drug store and you can pick it up as soon as you finish the discharge papers.” My heart felt like it would nearly shatter and a small tear escaped my eyes, I had been training to run in the Boston marathon for the last five years and I had finally qualified this summer. “oh-okay” was all I could manage. Harry looked uncomfortable as he took a step closer towards me and the bed “Briar, right?” I nodded. “listen I feel absolutely terrible about what happened earlier and I know this probably won’t make up for anything but-“ he ran his hand through his famously beautiful curls “I have three free tickets for you to come to my show on Saturday if you’d find it in you to come out.” A tinge in my heart pulled knowing Saturday was the day I was supposed to leave for the marathon, but pushed it away. “that’s too generous of you I couldn’t possibl-” my sentence was cut short by his persistent head shaking, “No no I insist it’s the least I could ever do after this incident I’ll send a car to your flat before?” I reluctantly agreed and wrote down my address and thanked the kind stranger before I could refuse the gift once again. “See you Saturday Briar” I smiled a genuine smile back at him as he exited the hospital room “see you Saturday.”